1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiels Nest Box Behaviour???

Discussion in 'Breeding And Babies' started by abu, Apr 20, 2017.

1. abu

abu Regular Member Registered

As you may already know im trying to breed cockatiels and iv notcied 1.of my females is entering her nestbox but only does so in the evening and when i approach the aviary she pops her head out and stares and as i walk off she goes back in but during the day from what i gather she is out and about in the aviary is this a sign if genuine nesting or has the cheeky bugger found herself a cosy bed lol

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have tiels they roost together at night but when nesting its a singular thing and defo takes turns with mate to sit the nest during the daytime. I'd say she feels safe in there and the more safe she feels the more likely she is to nest in there. Nice she's keeping an eye on you though lol
    But have to say that little Stinkie on here loves to go to bed it would seem in his box on a night time every night :) @Stinkie
    Sunnyring I think has breeding tiels perhaps she can help @sunnyring

Stinkie likes this.
  3. Stinkie

Stinkie Regular Member

Well I think the good news is that she has found a nest to lay in when she's ready, but unless she has a partner no amount of nesting behaviours is going to get you any chickies!

Mine does go in his box every night.

4. abu

She has a fella lol the reson i can say this is iv seen her and a male preening each other so fingers crossed ?

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

she may of laid an egg and without looking you will not know but she will only stay in the box to incubate during the day when the last of her eggs have been laid then you will find that at night both will visit and stay in the box and even during the day if the female needs to go out she will call the male to keep guard and would not leave for long. but at night they would both be in there but a word of warning during this time they can become flighty and approach them making noise so you do not suddenly startle them as the may break the eggs when they panic.

sunnyring likes this.
  6. abu

no eggs i checked ydai when feeding them iv seen the male preen her for a good 5 mins and then they had a paddy but past few days female only stays in box at night , ill upload a pic so you can see the pair lol

Attached Files:

7. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

thinking about laying I would say. they like to test drive nest boxes before commiting

TomsMum and Michael Reynolds like this.