Thursday 9th January

Michael Reynolds

Good morning every one, its a wet start today and still dark, my flock are all still asleep the lazy lot, I have to go into town today, well the birds out side sound so happy and singing away, its that time of tear for them to try to attract a partner by the sounds of things. Its a sad start to the day with the passing of Rio, and my thoughts are also with Eddie hoping he will have a better day today, get well soon. wishing you all have a great day today

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning Michael and everyone, a dull damp day here, gales blowing in the night woke me up had to close bedroom window 3.30am then of course could not get back to sleep - managed to drop off just before the dogs woke at 6am typical!

Tesco shop being delivered today.

Sad to hear about Prince Harry & Megan giving up Royal duties and living in North American, however I am not surprised I said when they got married they would leave the UK.

Hope Eddie parrot will improve today. Plus others that are poorly too, always such a worry.

Last edited:

Eddie

So far no rain here today but very blustery! Off to the dreaded accountants later.. had a little cuddle with Eddie after yet another traumatic towelling (will it ever get easier?? She rolls on her back with her wings out and grabs the towel in her beak AND feet!) she managed to doze for a little bit but not happy with me!
we should have had a chat @dianaT as I was wide awake at just gone 2am until just before 6am, then woken up by Allan coming upstairs for a cuddle (the dog!).
Have a good day one and all x

Michael Reynolds

Looks like we are all night owls Eddie, I did not sleep much myself, but I am so used to it. I hope all goes well at the accountants

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Hi, so far its a dry day here and not cold, I have been feeling sluggish without much active gardening going on at the moment, so Dora and I went for a 45 minute brisk walk round the block with her in her Pac o Bird. The first cowslip has come into bloom in the garden but the wild boar are being quite destructive and have come right up to the house recently. I hope their whiskers tell them that electric poultry netting isnt good to touch - if not I'll be up at 2am trying to disentangle them and dont fancy that!

Ararajuba

Afternoon everyone. I've been quite busy here since getting over the recent bout of tummy trouble - I had one earlier in December too, and things that need doing are building up around here!

I've been trying to spend some time in the garden when it hasn't been too wet. It seems weeds are still growing as fast as I pull them up and cut them down. Probably better just to plant something that can out-compete them if I ever want to get on top of the jungle, particularly as it's quite large and stuff grows at a fantastic rate here in the wet season. The banana plants are doing quite well, and one is even making a baby offshoot which has got to a decent size already. I'm hoping for flowers and fruit soon!

Passion fruit vines need trimming once again (got half-way the other day before rain drove me inside as usual) and are dropping lots of immature fruit, which is really winding up wife's crazy aunt again when she sees them before I can dispose of them (it's that time of the month for her, of course, close to the full moon). She accused it the other day of wanting to creep into her house at night and strangle her! It's also been producing lots of ripe fruit, from which I've just made about a kilo of passion fruit jam, which doesn't seem to have made much impression on the vast piles of big yellow fruits we have loitering around the place. It set surprisingly well considering I didn't add any pectin, but is a bit crunchy because I didn't remove the seeds. I'm surprised how concentrated the flavour is - a little goes a long way! Now I just have to figure out what to do with all the rest.

Also have been making what should be a very large and solid table from the wood supplies we got the other day. Not for anything fancy, it's meant to be a rough work table to keep up in the attic so I can use it for other work, as the only work table I have at present is small and rather wobbly. I was pretty tired after spending hours on it yesterday evening and there's still quite a bit to do. Not only are all the components very heavy and chunky, but I've been doing it mostly with hand tools, and the wood I'm using (a local hardwood called Angelim) is, as I've just discovered, about twice as hard as oak, besides which it is full of resiny stuff which sticks all over my tools when cut or drilled and necessitates them being cleaned every few minutes. No wonder it all seems like a lot of work!

dianaT

Staff member
Sorry you have been suffering with the upset tum again.
Lucky you having passion fruits, I have to buy those in Tesco for my parrots who love them. £1.25 for a pack of 3 they are.
Do your parrots eat any?
I hope we get photos of your woodwork even if it's a work table.

Ararajuba

@dianaT - Well, I was going to make the "Pink Harp" for my daughter fairly soon, since she is still on at me about it. I imagine this will be more worth looking at (well, maybe) than an enormous rough table when it actually gets completed! In case I can't figure out what to do by myself, I ordered some plans and a guide book from a maker in the USA recently since I can't find anything suitable here, but he's rather elderly and not that keen on computers, so I'm waiting for it all to arrive by post (it had better, it cost enough to send from there!).

I wouldn't even consider giving these fruits to the parrots as they are sour passion fruits, very different to the ones you will see in the UK! They're big yellow fruits at least the size of grapefruit, often larger, which have similar acidity to limes, so I know they're not going to eat them fresh. Here they're normally used for cooking, or strained for the juice, which is then mixed with sugar to make it more palatable. I sometimes juice them and dry the leftover seeds once the acidic pulp has been sufficiently rinsed off - they enjoy eating these. It's rare to see sweet ones at all - they are normally big orange elongated ones with a very mild flavour when available - again, very different to the passion fruit you will see over there! I thought I had planted only the seeds of orange sweet ones on my fence, as a matter of fact - so either they don't grow true from seed, were cross-polinated by sour ones somehow, or I got the seeds mixed up with some I was saving for birdies!

I'm suspicious from the symptoms that the tummy problems were something serious like E. coli, Salmonella, etc, which we may have picked up from the unwanted takeaways the MIL keeps bringing us, which we sometimes ate just so they weren't wasted. Although she only had it once Mrs A was really quite bad for a few days - if she had got any worse she would have been off to hospital. It was a struggle to cope for a while with the two kids and me being bad too. SIL has been under investigation for some apparently chronic stomach problems lately too, which she may have got from the same source as she gets the blasted takeaways too, and unlike us eats them enthusiastically. One place the MIL keeps getting them from purely because a "friend" of her works there is somewhere the wife is very suspicious of - she thinks they either leave food out too long, or recycle the old food and use it the next day, both of which are bad practice and especially so in the local climate. The kitchen doesn't look especially clean there either. FIL and MIL never seem to get anything, possibly due to getting a different selection for themselves and bringing back food they think we will like (even though we keep telling them we don't want ANY takeaways).

Michael Reynolds

I cannot see me getting too much rest, my demanding girl Poppy has just laid an egg, as soon as she hears me she will call and call and call, Has any one got five or six male eccies that can serve her needs :risas3: :risas3: that I can loan for about five weeks

Top Bottom