1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thursday 6th December

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

I think its mild outside this morning and certainly no frost. But still left the heating on and it stayed a constant 15.8c for the birds. At the moment its calm but must prepare for yet another hurricane due tomorrow with gusts up to 55mph. I wonder what this one is called? We have had Hurricane Diana so now its got to be an 'E'. I will come out with a suggestion, how about hurricane Ermintrude ?

The birds are fine and Nacho is wanting to come out but a bit too early for that at 06.00. I will give them both their pine nuts soon.

Yesterday was a good one for me, well, after the beginning anyway. I woke up and felt hungry, so ate 2 Frosties breakfast bars before I even left the bedroom. Have not done that for ages but I have had a feeling for 2 days now that my appetite is coming back. Anyway, I had a hospital appointment at Ninewells in Dundee, one of the routine ones to check my blood. It was raining so I got the first bus and got off the bus to wait for the second one. 30 minute wait so I went into a bakers and bought a hot steak Bridie. Just my luck that a piece of meat got caught in my Esophagus causing me to want to produce a huge amount of saliva. But the bus was there so what do I do. I ended up getting on the bus and was very uncomfortable but it was nearly 17 miles and in the space of 3 seconds suddenly the meat moved and it was clear, such relief. I then get to the hospital and have a sample of blood taken and then saw the consultant, worried about how my bloods would be after the Radiotherapy. Well, I was so surprised when he told me the results were absolutely perfect. Platelets were 218 which is the best ever. Red and White blood cells were also excellent. My last platelets count was about 1,400 which is far too high and I have been told they have dropped so drastically because the Radiotherapy must be working. Reflux is the best ever as well so I am well chuffed this morning. Sorry for the long post but I am a Happy Chappy this morning.

Have a Great Thursday Everyone and healing thoughts to those not well.

Cheers

Nigel

Rain and dianaT like this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning everyone, guess what...it is still raining, flooding from the stream that runs alongside the lane that goes under the old railway bridge out of the village so folk need to take the longer route round. Hope my Tesco shop gets here okay later on but not sure they take that route.
    We have friends coming for a meal this evening. Daughter & grandson were calling in but he is recovering from Shingles - he is only 12 too, so best they keep away until he is clear.
    Keep dry folks.

3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Morning nigel and Di glad things are working out ok with you Nigel and that your bloods are ok. I was terrified to go into the aviary this morning but the other two birds were ok however they didn't call and make a fuss like Ringo use to, all my moaning about him biting and giving me a hard time in the aviary but I really miss him. I'm going to make a better sleeping area on the other side of the aviary where a mouse couldn't climb as its a smooth painted wall that's slippery and high up. Anyone got any pics or links of a multi sleeping bird house that I could mount on the wall in the aviary? Need some ideas

Nigalius and dianaT like this.
  4. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

Hello everyone, it has been a very long time since I have said hello.
    I am doing well although of course we miss our little Garpie very much. Her fruit tree is growing nicely and we have put fairy lights on it. It is nice to see the other little birds sitting in it in the garden.
    Funny, I was thinking about checking in on the forum anyway to say hello over the last few days, but this morning my partner sent me a message to say that a colleague had called to ask if we wanted to adopt her cockatiel, as the other one had died. I didn't really feel that it was the right thing to destabilise the poor thing further after its mate had died, but we have long actually felt that this particular colleague doesn't really take great care of her birds - they live in the cage permanently, only occasionally going out into the garden, so we are talking it over and wonder if perhaps it would be the right thing to take this little one on, as even when Garp was alive we used to plot and scheme for how we could perhaps make the lives of these babies better.
    I have been saying I did not want to get another bird right now because my hours were so long in my new job and I was not at home during the day - but just last week my hours changed and I am now at home in the mornings.
    So, maybe it is a sign?
    I did always say after Garp passed that I would not easily get another parrot unless it was an adoption, and if it was, I kind of had a cockatiel or budgie in the back of my mind, I don't know why. I think another rosella would be a bit difficult as a first bird after Garp.
    So we will talk it over this evening, and I may be back in the neighbourhood soon as a parrot parent again :)
    I hope everyone is doing well!

5. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi @Scarf so lovely to hear from you again. Yes the passing of our birds do leave a huge gap and much sadness, however it seems maybe dear Garp would be pleased for you to offer a good home to the Cockatiel - maybe he had something to do in putting this to you - who knows. Do let us know what you decide and I am sure it will be happier and well cared for with you just like dear Garp was xx

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi @Scarf lovely to hear from you xx

7. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

I do have that thought sometimes! There are not enough people who take the care of our birds very very seriously - sadly too many birds are expendable - so I think maybe if a little bird crosses our path it's important for us to give it a little happiness! I think now that Garp is hopefully in a place where she can have as much popcorn as she wants, she might recommend her humans :)

8. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Well said scarf

9. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

I hope you enjoy your meal with your friends @dianaT.
    I hope your grandson get better soon from shingles. He is very young to have that bless him.

@Scarf you are amazing. You definitely have the best home for the little cockatiel. I know it is hard to take on another bird when you have lost one. But you have a massive heart and Garp will be proud of you.

Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  10. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

Nigel, I am a little out of the loop. I am very glad to hear that you had good news on your health from the doctor today but I am sorry that it seems you have been poorly. How are you feeling in general?
    Diana poor little chap - shingles is so uncomfortable, I hope he gets better soon.
    Thank you Jess I hope so.
    In other news whose marvellous idea was this site decoration? The candy canes and snow are so lovely.

11. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Its so good to see you back Scarf. well as you know we all love photos so when you do take on your new feathered friend we can all share him/her

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.
  12. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Thanks for asking @Scarf. I have had one or two problem lately, Lung Cancer but it is level 2 and curable. I have just finished a 20 session of Radiotherapy. I have no symptoms at all and the Cancer has not spread. I suffer from anxiety which is in a very good patch lately but the thing that has been causing most grief is Acid Reflux. That has been a bugger but I even think I have turned the corner with that as well but it will be slow. While I was on the 4 weeks of radiotherapy I could see some people there that were very seriously ill I was hoping they would recover but doubt they all will. So, I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.
  13. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

I am so glad to hear you are on the mend Nigel. You are a tough one that is for sure.
    Have you tried drinking Kombucha for the acid reflux? I know the whole world and its neighbour has a remedy for everything so I apologise if that's annoying, but I find it's very helpful! So - maybe it will help you too :)
    I hope you keep on getting better and better.

TomsMum likes this.