1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thursday 3rd January

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Got to be quick this morning as I have a hospital appointment in Dundee. This is to check up on how my radiotherapy has gone. I have no doubt it went fine though. Its a very frosty morning here and luckily the wind is almost still otherwise it would be bitter. The temps today are forecast to reach a sweltering, skin blistering, factor 50 sun block of 2c, I can feel a curry coming on when I get home.

The birds are fine and of course I will leave the heating on for them at 15c and that will be good for them.

Anyways I gotta go now, got to put Frankie in the neighbours. Have a Great Thursday Everyone, Stay warn 'n' safe and thoughts to those unwell

Cheers

Nigel

JessCheekyMia and dianaT like this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning Nigel and everyone, hope all goes well at your appointment Nigel.

A frosty one here with more forecast.

Keep warm folks.

3. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

good luck Nigel!
    chilly here but no ice to break on drinkers so all good. I have someone coming for a few serama pullets later-all the way from Somerset to Birmingham. always nice to meet a fellow breeder so should be interesting. and will be good to clear that pen as will mean less cleaning over rest of winter with one less coop.

dianaT likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Good morning all and yes I am noticing the drop in temperature, I had a little problem with Charlie and Reggie and Molly yesterday as for the first time they went against each other and I had to separate them. I think Reggie was being protective to his girl friend and went to chase Charlie away from her, Charlie was very upset and a fight broke out, well Amazons can get rather nasty and even after separating them Charlie flew back to continue the fight. Two against one as Reggie and Molly went for Charlie (I hate breeding times) Charlie got a slight injury to his foot its not bad but I had to treat it and stop the blood. I decided to put Charlie in a cage for his own safety and to allow him to rest. its the first time I had seen Charlie in this mood he was possessed and even though he was in his cage he just wanted to get his own back, ha was charging from one part of the cage to the other trying to get as close to the greys as possible. all the ringnecks had joined in on Charlies side and was dive bombing the greys. its never happened before but I have always been aware that this can happen. it took some while to calm things down and you may of noticed that I did not post much during the day as I was too busy with them all, well calm has come back and Charlie I let out this morning, he was fine and even to the point of both Charlie and Reggie are eating together. his foot looks a bit sore but he has allowed ne to clean it this morning and is very calm. I was up all night the night before as I was worried about the affects of a can of spray contact adhesive that burst open on the kitchen floor so all windows had to be opened all night and day and a carful watch on my birds all night. the smell was not good even put the fans and dehumidifiers and filtering systems, moving most of the cages away from the kitchen. all my birds are fine luckily although I cannot rule out the affect it had on them that may of been something to do with the mood change as it even made me fill a little high. Now I have the problem of cleaning the dried glue from the floor, as I cannot use chemical's and scaping it off is taking a long time. Well I hope you all had a better start to the new year. I will be going out today as I never got the chance yesterday, have a good day everyone. My thoughts for today are with the peoples around the world whom live in war zones and cannot see peace coming soon.

Nigalius likes this.
  5. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

hello, Minus 4.8 at sunrise this morning, but sunny and OK now. hope to hear from Nigel that all is well, and hope you manage the clean up Michael, I have had success on cleaning all sorts with soda crystals although this can be very tough on the skin, but doesnt have a strong smell.

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  6. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Morning everyone
    Went for a meal yesterday, they were selling garden ornaments that were made of metal and there was african greys, think I'd constantly be panicking that theres a parrot in the garden.

Had to put Archie in the cage and give Phoebe some fear-free play time as he has attacked her twice this morning and not let go, ive had to seperate them each time.
    Shes a lovely bird bless her, very sweet but a bit easily spooked. Not like Archie who's quite aggressive to say the least.

Got to get all my clothes out of my drawers and somehow get the drawers out of my room, then move the fish tank ready for my new furniture to be delivered tomorrow! Looking forward to it but cant be bothered with the work if im honest haha

7. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Hope today goes well Nigel

8. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Hi all, I hope hospital appointment goes well for you @Nigalius.

My word what a fright for you @Michael Reynolds. I hope Charlie's foot gets better soon. It sounds like you have got it all under control. I hate it this time of year too. Gizzie is becoming very possessive over me. I had to pick him up like a baby the other day. He went for Mia but I put my hand between them so she didn't get hurt. I would rather him bite me than Mia. He has never bitten me though. He then decided to go and stay on my shoulder. But him being on my shoulder meant I couldn't read his body language and I needed to know if he was going to attack again. So that's why I picked him up and put him on my lap so I could keep an eye. I know the way he behaves before he goes in attack mode. I usually nip it in the bud before he does it. All I have to say to him is No and he listens bless him.

I spoke to Bob and Jenny (Bernie's previous owners) the other day. They said when they picked her up from her previous home that there was no food in her cage. I was horrified and made me sad all day.
    It not my place to say why but the previous home Bernie was at sounds like it was horrible for her. Well she was lucky Bob and Jenny took her in. Their Daughter was right getting her parents to take her in. They did well with her. She is one happy bird now, that's what's important.

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  9. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Is it a weird time of year for parrots does anyone know?
    Archie has been very aggressive the last few days and took a bite at me yesterday but luckily missed, hes been extra nasty to Phoebe apart from at bed time when they play and cuddle.

Nigalius and JessCheekyMia like this.
  10. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Well, I am back home from the hospital and what a good day. Couple of hiccups along the way such as getting lost in the hospital and me not understanding the local lingo. Yes Nigel, go right and take the first left and 'follow the bones'. The what? she repeated, 'the bones'. Then she tries to say it in the Queens English which made it even worse. But I was right as every 20 mts, painted on the wall was this bone. I could not believe it, in a hospital and they have bones painted on the wall to guide you to a certain area. Anyhow, I had to have a chest x.ray first and then down to level 3. (following more bones). 90 minutes later I was called in to see the oncologist and she asked how I was. I told her always been fine really and even the acid reflux is getting better. Then down to the nitty gritty..... My cancerous lung. I am told it was unusual for there to be such a significant change at the first meeting and she was very very optimistic that we are looking at a cure here. I was shown on her screen a pic of how it looked in Sept, November and Now and todays one even I could see the difference. The first thing I learnt is that the course of Radiotherapy does not exterminate the tumour it slows then stops the growth and eventually gets rid of it and to show a big change in such a short space of time is very unusual. Yes, the cancer is still there but its much smaller and she fully expects it to completely go. I even managed to combine my 4 monthly visits to the Hematologist with the Oncologist who wants to see me every 4 months as well. I rounded my day off with making one of my fav journeys, a visit to Tesco.

11. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

What a relief @Nigalius, you must be so happy with that result. I hope you carry on improving.

12. Rain

Rain Parrot Sniffer Regular Member

13. Michael Reynolds

That is good news and hopefully the results will look even better on your next checkup I think I should of purchased shares in Tesco as they are bound to go up now

14. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

15. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Scorching hot here lately and we can't really do much in the day. It was 35ยบ yesterday and we spent hours out in it, getting hot, bothered, and dehydrated. I'm not sure we've recovered properly yet. Baby L kept asking for water, then drank a whole coconut full of coconut water from a street vendor - I don't know where she fitted it all!

We were searching for a bank, as Mrs A's pesky bank had blocked her account from doing any but small transactions, which we needed to go in person to sort out, and we urgently needed to order some new doors here before we end up imprisoned in (or locked out) of the house thanks to their brilliant quality and the way they were bodged into place. One of them is locked shut and can't be budged, the other will only close or unlocked with difficulty. We called a locksmith on the locked shut one only a couple of weeks ago; he said it was because it had been fitted so badly that it was falling off its hinges, and the door was out of shape so it would keep doing this; looks like the same thing is happening again, and we don't want to just keep calling him over and over! Better to get some better quality doors with better locks and have them fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, and have an end of this problem (then try to bill the useless builder for it later, he's avoiding us at present).

Getting the bank stuff sorted out was easier said than done though. We asked a very nervous looking security man at the nearby mall where the bank (supposed to be the closest branch to us) was, as we had been unable to find it. He told us sorrowfully that there used to be a bank there, but it was closed now. In October a gang of local criminals had turned up at about 2 am, took the late-night security guard hostage, and dynamited the cash machines rather spectacularly. This made rather a commotion, so some police turned up to chase them as they were making their escape, but there were five of them and they were more heavily armed than the police in pursuit, so they just fired back at them with their own aresnal including an AK 47-type gun, then abandoned their stolen car and made their escape on foot. Impressed by this story we proceeded to the next mall, where we knew there was a bank as we went there recently. The bank was still there, and we managed to get our buiness done, but it looked like a hurricane had hit the supermarket at the front of the mall, and it had no cash machines in front any more. Apparently the same gang (must have been them, judging by their modus operandi) had hit the cash machines there since our last visit. It's getting like the Wild West here!

16. Michael Reynolds

Sound quite a dangerous place with that type of weaponry around, well its 54 degrees warmer than here at the moment and I was just thinking you may want to employ the robbers so they can blast open that locked door, I am glad the bank problem is sorted

17. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

@Michael Reynolds - Unfortunately the criminals here tend to be well-armed, despite the relatively tight gun controls in the country at present (this is really not too surprising when you think about it, as obviously, being criminals, they don't feel obliged to obey the gun laws any more than they obey the other laws they are breaking). Guns will always be easily smuggled over the borders from several very unstable and violent neighbouring countries like Columbia, and I don't believe the authorities will ever be able to stop this. There was apparently a good deal less violent crime here, especially armed robberies, shootings, and muggings, in the 80s and 90s, when ordinary law-abiding people could buy guns freely. Probably there was less of a gang and drug dealing subculture then - but also, the criminals are not worried about their victims resisting them any more, which has made them very confident that they will get away with their crimes.

The new president recently threatened to issue a decree reversing previous controls and allowing anyone without a criminal record to acquire a gun - whether this will happen, and whether it will actually help deter the criminals or just lead to more bullets flying around, remains to be seen! Crime is one of the main problems with living here, it must be said - this is one of the safest large cities, but I know quite a few people who've had something nasty happen over the last few years, and am not taking anything for granted!

Just wondering @Tulio - was there much violent crime where you lived?

18. Michael Reynolds

I do not know of many countries that do not have a problem with gun crime and I know things are so bad in many of the south American countries. I do not think that being armed will help as these guys do not care and if they thought you have a gun they will shoot you first and then check to see if they can find the gun as the gun can be given to other gang members. at least now there is a greater chance of being threatened and robed but you have a chance that they will not kill you or a family member

19. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

@Michael Reynolds - I've never heard of the situation you suggested happening here! It wouldn't really make much sense for them to go around shooting people who they think might be armed (and therefore might end up shooting them), besides the prospect of a vastly increased jail sentence if caught, when guns, including more-or-less military grade hardware, are freely available on the black market, generally at lower prices than legal arms, and can be had without the increased risk. I think this is a situation more likely to occur, if at all, in countries where there are few guns to begin with, and even the criminals can't obtain them easily so are prepared to take risks to get them. They do tend to care about their own skins, even if they don't have much regard for their victims', so the prospect of getting a taste of their own medicine is likely to be something of a deterrent - whether it would make enough to actually reduce the crime rate significantly, I don't rightly know!

I do know that criminals tend to be averse to work (which is why they decided on a life of crime), and so anything that makes crime seem like harder and riskier work than going straight might tend to nudge them in the latter direction. They're often drugged up to the eyeballs and none too bright in the first place though, which doesn't do much for their rational judgment.