1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thursday 14th March

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Its a dark morning here and the forecast is for a pretty sunny day at 9c and 4c tonight. No rain is due so perhaps its going to be a good day. The wind is going to be a moderate Westerly one again and if I turn round it will be an Easterly.

The birds are fine and Roxy is stuffing himself on the seeds I leave in each bowel for them during the night. Its a pretty big cage clean day today and some of the toys will be changed. I have to make sure each bird has his own preference for toys in its own cage. Roxy likes to chew in blocks of wood and Nacho likes things that make lots of noise like chimes.

I woke this morning feeling very good. There is a reason too. I went to the GP to give blood for the possible halt of my diabetic medication but the big thing is I am on an inhaler while my lung repairs. One is Ventolin used as and when needed and the other is Anoro Elipta which is used once a day. I took a trial in the surgery and then had one yesterday arvo of the Ventolin and one of the Elipta. Last night before bed I had a Ventolin and Christ, it was the best night for months. I never go to bed that early but thought I would this time and went at 23.50 and woke at 03.50, straight through. Even better was the fact I hardly coughed at all. I got to make a couple of phone calls later then see what the day brings.

Have a Great Thursday Everyone and Healing Thoughts for those not so well.

Cheers

Nigel

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning everyone, good to hear you slept better Nigel after using your inhaler.
    It is very windy here still despite being told storm Gareth has moved on.
    Tesco order should be arriving this morning.

3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Morning Nigel and Diana

OOOooo sounds promising Nigel that your getting proper sleep :)
    Anything interesting in the Tesco order Diana?
    Raining and blowing a hooli over here defo a soggy day in store.
    Back to ringing up double glazing peeps this morning to arrange a couple more appointments …. that is if I can put myself through the pain of daft questions!

See facebook is having issues today with people worldwide being unable to post on their profiles today apparently some of the other services they own are having similar issues.

Must be about time the swallows and swifts start to head back in our direction think I will have a nosy over on the satellite bird tracking sites at some point and see which birds are already getting ready to or have indeed started migration back over here.

Right onwards and upwards take care and stay safe peeps :)

4. DizzyBlue

Flipping heck please can I just have a normal day?
    Remember a few weeks ago when I said about managing to get a good deal on my telephone and broadband package because I rang up with a query about something else?
    Just got off the telephone with the local company KCOM....
    So they owned me money to start with was well in credit so asked if they could either credit me back or better still move it over to the new package account. Apparently that wasn't going to be an issue …..
    It started with me chatting to a guy there and he asked why I paid for two separate items instead as a bundled deal at a saving of £10 and getting more GB per month to tell the truth I hardly ever got through 30% of the original amount I had but hey it was going to cost me even less to get more …. apparently!!
    So now they have billed me for the new package … and the old package … and an over lap of the two plus charged me for the same phone calls on both bills and double charged for line rental and have not credited anything anywhere. So they are billing me way above and not returning what I was already in credit for.
    For crying out loud! How hard can these things be to get sorted :BangHead:
    Just come off the phone with a young lady who ended up as confused as I am as to what is going on. :imwithstupid:

I intend to switch my mobile phone to a new service provider to get a better deal as am paying way above the odds with that too …. somehow now beginning to believe I may end up with a similar nightmare … and they say switching is easy these days. :copas::copas:

5. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

@DizzyBlue is there anything to consider with the parrots when getting new double glazing?
    We will be getting new too, do they use sealants and stuff?
    Do I need to move the birds

6. dianaT

@DizzyBlue Have you looked on USwitch website, they have good deals and I understand they sort everything out for you too.

7. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

You’ll need to get the fitters to show you exactly what sort of sealant they are using, they may have different ones for internal and external, and most do have very strong smell...so yes birdies will need to be taken care of. If you getbthem to show you what they are using, you can look at the VOC and also go to the website of the manufacturer and look at the safety information sheet.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  8. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

I think our plan was to get it done in summer and go sit outside in the garden with the birds
    I dont have any other house I can take them to

9. DizzyBlue

@dianaT Going with USwitch they don't cover all of the suppliers just some of them. Can't switch in my area with the house phone and broadband its KCom we are totally different to the rest of the UK there is no option to get things other than their packages as other providers will not supply into this area due to what they get charged by KCom for using their exchanges and line rentals etc.
    Looking at the mobile phone plans looking like I will be jumping to plusnet they currently have a really good sim only deal for my mobile on the go for 1.5gb of data unlimited calls and unlimited texts
    I am thinking about switching gas and electricity and locking into one of the smaller providers.
    Just been on Money Saving Expert of which I have been a member for a couple of years and they have some right good things posted up. Even money off coupons to use at supermarkets :)

10. dianaT

Re Energy suppliers, we switched a few years ago to Green Star Energy, very good, also I have heard good reports from Bulb, another provider.

11. DizzyBlue

I'm with Engie just got the latest offer through from my local council to see if they can beat it with a collective switch and they can't they come in at £45 more expensive. Money Saving Expert can beat my current provider with a saving of £50 per year so much for the collective switch!

Just had a nosy over at the Bank of England website see they are due to review interest changes or staying the say on 21st March that's going to influence a lot of places as to what rates they charge... right before the B word is due to happen or not as the case may be so that's going to be interesting NOT!!! :BangHead: wonder what influence that will have on imports of parrot toys and feed if any?!? Most people will have concerns about credit cards and mortgages loans etc and here's me worrying about my birdies and all the other stuff that I should be stressing about after the fact …. I am so not normal :watchout:

Should really go and look at what the current parrot insurance policy's are currently charging at ….. not there's but of a choice anymore

12. DizzyBlue

Well that was a fast look at insurance companies …. all two of them! DOH! Talk about a niche cornered market :watchout:

E&L have got to be kidding me! All 5 of my larger birds comes to over £1100 a year for the entire flock but insuring them as separates rather than as a group.
    Can't even get a quote from Exotic Direct as they don't do online quote for more than 3 birds and if the total comes to above £2k replacement on 2 added together it kicks you out the system and tells you to ring one of those high cost landline numbers :thinking: may just email them and ask for them to email a quote back to me …..
    Think these insurance companies need to look at how much the cost of birds are especially African greys that has risen dramatically over the past two years.... they also need to look at the lifespan of parrots. Looks like Henni can't be insured for vets bills as she is too old at 39 years young would only be wanting to insure her for things that are not mutilator relevant but can't even get to that bit on the tick boxes. She's nowt but a spring chicken for heavens sake :biggrin: Easy got another 20 years in her :emoji_revolving_hearts:

13. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Don't think I'm going to get involved with the discussions about companies being crap and messing everything up or my head might explode today lol.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  14. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Parrot insurance is getting to be a right rip off!

DizzyBlue likes this.
  15. DizzyBlue

[​IMG]

Just had a phone call from the double glazing person I spoke to yesterday who couldn't get his head around the word single … no hubby … live alone …. no partner … unmarried!
    So yesterday I made an appointment to suit me with this company....
    Phone call went like this:

Them: Hello Mrs XXX can I speak with your husband?
    (that is so not the way to start a useful conversation with me)
    Me: No as I don't have one its Miss NOT Mrs!!
    Them: Sorry Mrs XXX errrrmmmm I mean Miss!
    Me: Ok no problem how can I hep?
    Them: I know you spoke with somebody yesterday and have made an appointment for next week.
    Me: Yeah ….. (in a suspicious voice with what sounds like 90 parrots yelling in the background and the starting of world war three kicking off!)
    Them: Well we are happy to say we have appointments free this week.
    Me: That's nice for you!
    Them: Sorry? Not quite with you.
    Me: I made an appointment that is convenient to me with yourselves for next week and you agreed that was convenient for you and you could accommodate it. Can you or can you not make that appointment made?
    Them: Yes but we have some free this week.
    Me: Either turn up at the appointment time and date made or don't it's up to you.
    Them: Oh we will but we just wondered...
    Me: It's not convenient for me to change that appointment regardless of what you have available this week. Alternatively I can look see when else I can fit you in the following week?
    Them: Oh no its fine we'll see you next week Mrs XXX.
    Me: Its Miss!!!
    Them: Errrmmmm ok thanks....

Bet he wished he'd never rang
    [​IMG]

16. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

You should of asked him if he kept parrots, at least he may have an excuse for being stupid.

dianaT likes this.