1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thursday 13th June 2019

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DizzyBlue, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:08 AM.

1. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Morning all
    Well I have decided today that the end of the world is nigh!
    Just found out that broccoli (aka Plant of the Devil!) has attained recognition for a compound it contains that apparently aids the slowing of osteoarthritis and there is currently a study that are requesting people to volunteer to receive this natural compound …. this is not going to be a study I would volunteer for!!
    Broccoli makes me yak!! Nasty evil stuff as far as I am concerned … smells to high heaven...lingers for ever and totally nasty tasting stuff …. ok so my flock has it but they like it and even dare I say it enjoy it, especially the tender stem stuff fed raw.
    Can't believe the things I put myself through to ensure my feathered friends get what they need.
    Can only presume that as parrots have a different number of taste buds and things taste different to them than they do to us (ie chillies don't taste hot etc) it's the reason they don't know its an evil weevil pongy plant!
    More rain today and don't fancy living right up north where Nigel does as they are under amber warning today rather than the yellow warning many others are.
    Little Henni is still not well so very preoccupied in this house with looking after her which I hasten to add I suspect she is milking it for all its worth.
    Whatever your up to today stay safe and warm. Hugs to those in need of one.

2. cazimodo

cazimodo Regular Member

Morning everyone. Grey here and lots of rain forecast later. Heating still on.

Broccoli tastes of pure evil to me. Horrible stuff!

All clear after colonoscopy yesterday so that's good news and I won't need another follow up appointment which is even better news Procedure was okay, except for the fact the guy forgot to give me the anaesthesia and started without it! I quickly reminded him as you can imagine

Still a bit wobbly today so will take it easy and work on crochet designs (like I need an excuse to do that!). I need to pot a couple of Japanese Maple saplings I bought, but that will need to wait until the sky gods stop chucking their bathwater out.

Have a lovely day, whatever you get up to.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

3. DizzyBlue

:risas3::risas3::risas3:
    That's one way of describing it :thumbsup:

cazimodo likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Good morning Tasha and all that follows, not too bsd at the moment just light rain, Henni its about time you syopprd making your slave pull her haie out now instead of not being well the best way of seeing your mum with a funny face is to get better and eat your broccil then feed it to her. Pleased about the results Cazimodo. Nigel we all miss you as well as Tesco, I think that even the nuses will need a rest soon. Birds are all singing and now waiting for there morning shower i hope you all have a better day today than you did yesterday

5. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

l must be odd as I love broccoli, the chickens will eat the stems, but Dora isnt keen - she will sometimes nibble a little but rarely, and I tried the plan of chopping it really small so it looks like seed but that didnt fool her at all. Still as far as new and interesting foods go she seems to have taken to the soaked green lentils (seems to prefer that to fully sprouted) and baked sweet potato, and a little slice of corn on the cob to chew on. Chickens have now all gone on strike - 1 broody, 1 moulting and the other has just had enough - Im pleased the 2 little ones have stopped for a rest as they had laid almost continuously for 18 months!
    Pleased to hear that the tests are negative Cazimodo - that must be a real relief, and good that Nigel is getting better. I hope the weather improves soon for you all.

6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning.....still raining here...never ending
    Have to agree re broccoli - not a favourite with us although do occasionally eat the tender stem one.
    Hope Henni soon improves.
    Good to hear all was clear for you @cazimodo .

Spent much of yesterday trying to help a local lady with her budgie chicks, the hen died leave 2 3 week old little ones who dad was ignoring. They are all kept in a large indoor aviary with other budgies and while she popped to get hand rearing formula another hen went in and attacked them, leaving them both with damaged beaks. Obviously she then realised it was wrong to leave them while she got the formula it happened so quickly. Anyway long story short, she wanted a another cage to put the nestbox & dad in luckily I had one and news this morning is he is feeding them and she is keeping a close eye on them. Unsure how they will feed once older if beaks are badly injured.

Off to hospital with hubby later re his knee replacements, no idea what will happen as he is likely to start radiotherapy shortly.

Tesco shop here soon.

Well onwards & upwards as they say. Hope you all have a decent day.

7. DizzyBlue

@Wendy Cooper-Wolfe …… :yikes::yikes: you like broccoli … sorry that's just plain strange ….. :emoji_mask: pongy evil stuff it is :emoji_skull_crossbones:
    Now have to say I do love a good brussel sprout l love them hot or cold - obviously has to be cooked don't like them overcooked and soggy have to be nice and firm. Do like cooking them with a spot of bacon chopped up and thrown on top after they have been boiled …. hmmmmm totally scrummy :emoji_revolving_hearts:

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and cazimodo like this.
  8. Kehaar

Kehaar Regular Member

Hello guys,
    It's raining here. Those horrid globules of water that seems to get through every sodding layer you put on. I've got to hop on the bike, fill it up, run to the bank, get some breakfast, go see the horsey, run to pets at home to pick up parrot pellets, tidy my room, pack my bags (As me and the birds are off to Reading tomorrow, the birds love it they're like woo Rooooad trriiiip :aaaaa: Apart from the beginning bus joureny to the station where poor wee Cicero gets a bit green around the gills)o_O I'm just waiting on yesterdays sodden waterproof trousers to dry.I stupidly left them in the washing machine and forgot to turn it on, so threw it over the radiator, which wasn't on so then had to flail about like a monkey figuring how to switch the heating on. All this Only to go out and get soaked again. The birds aren't complaining, they're just chilling and beak grinding.

Have a nice day, whatever you're up to :)

9. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Morning everyone, still here and not on a boat, still raining, birds awfully quiet. Glad others have their heating on, I was feeling a wimpish but the birds need to be kept warm don't they?

10. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

morning all. teeming down here. burdies yelling wondering whats going on. weve just been on a hamster hunt. got up this morning to find Earnie had opened her door and gone exploring. we eventually found her in the hardest place to get her out. behind the aquarium that is wedged in the alcove with 2 inches on either side. we tried to chivy her out with food ..Nope :imwithstupid:then pushing her with a long stick. Nope :BangHead:she just chewed the stick. then pushing cushions down to block her way :aaaaa:it worked. she came to the front and i managed to grab her. :applaudit:she is now drinking her bottle dry and going to bed. it looks like she was moving in cos there is a huge pile of food behind the tank. she must have been going backwards and forwards all night.
    the rest of the day just a bit of ironing, reading and crocheting, oh phoning dentist for app. ive got a dicky molar.
    Safe say everyone x

11. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Yep, strange it may be but at least my husband loves it too...he does a great broccoli pasta with lots of garlic. Brussels sprouts (cooked in several ways and raw in salads but I'll pass on the bacon) and cabbage are regulars here too (roasted red cabbage yesterday). Dora will join us eating sprouts too but only when they are crunchy.

Kendra, Michael Reynolds and cazimodo like this.