1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Adopting A Parrot..

Discussion in 'Parrot Media' started by Grant Pattison, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Grant Pattison

Grant Pattison Registered

Hello everyone.
    After a while of looking at parrots, reading about parrots and watching different videos of parrots I think I've narrowed it down to adopting eitber a conure, Senegal or ring neck parrot. The ring neck being my favourite. Now... I've been told and have read that me being male that I'll need to adopt a female parrot ?? Does anyone think or know this to be solid fact or not? The only reason I ask is that I like the look of the male ringneck because the ring but it's not a deal breaker. Do males talk more than females?

Sorry if I sound like a total newbie and thank you in advance for any help, abuse or advice you can give.

Cheers grant.:emoji_blush:

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Grant

Good for you doing your research before taking on a parrot.

I have heard it said that the male/female parrot specie become more friendly with the opposite sex human but it is not always the case.
    If you are going to adopt a bird do go to a charity who really does their best to pair the parrot and you up, although in any case a rehomed bird usually takes some time to settle.

Let's see what our other members can advise.

DizzyBlue and Grant Pattison like this.
  3. Grant Pattison

Hi Diana.

Yeah seems like alot to learn but that' a good thing. Never heard of charities that offer this, can you recommend any?

Thanks

4. dianaT

No the forum do not recommend any . Are you a Face Book user if so you may come across some on there but please research carefully.

Being new to the world of parrot , The Parrot Society UK may also be a good place to start too, have a look at their website and you can join them for a small yearly fee and receive their monthly mag where breeders, hobbyists and so on advertise.

5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hiya Grant welcome aboard :)
    And yup .... what Diana said lol I have both male and female parrots greys and amazons and I am female ..... one male amazon hates me (that's fine he hates most people!) and one adores me, of the african greys all three are hen's and all three get on great with me :) it depends on the bird :)

dianaT likes this.
  6. Grant Pattison

Facebook - nooooo
    I gave it up. Bit like giving up crack I imagine

DizzyBlue and dianaT like this.
  7. Grant Pattison

I gave Facebook up and feel great so no Facebook

DizzyBlue and dianaT like this.
  8. dianaT

Lol! do have a look at The Parrot society as I mentioned above.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  9. DizzyBlue

As Diana said we do not recommend any and leave it to the individual. If people have a good experience great they think we are the bee's knees for recommending if they have a bad one all of a sudden we are to blame ... rock hard place. So it's down to you to do your homework on each place and look into things like adoption fees, whether or not you own the bird, what you are expected to pay for ie vets bills etc. See if the bird is disease tested, it's background etc etc. BUT it has to be your decision and then on you, you must give 110% to the bird as you chose the match and it's up to you to learn their language and learn to communicate :) it's a two way street of trust, dedication and a lot of patience ... oh and more patience oh and a heap more of it too!! :) ... did I mention time and patience??? :p

dianaT likes this.
  10. Grant Pattison

Will do, thank you guys

dianaT likes this.
  11. DizzyBlue

:risas3::risas3: there's a few of us like that :thumbsup:

Grant Pattison likes this.
  12. marley

marley Regular Member

Hi Grant and welcome, it's good that you are doing your research on species and maybe you should also take a small step back and ask yourself what you want from a bird, this will help you decide how to go on with your search. First I guess is tameness, if you have watched the youtube vids you will get the idea that parrots are lovely and cuddly but remember that the posts people put on there are for obvious reasons the good ones, they don't so much show you the ones where the bird is wild and not in any way handleable. They show you the ones of the birds talking but not so much of the birds screaming, some in fact probably most parrots don't ever manage more than a word or two and some none at all. They tend to show the ones where the bird is sitting nicely on the sofa not the ones where it is ripping the architrave off the door frame or shredding a light fitting or killing the remote (for the tenth time!).

I am not trying to put you off and hope indeed you get a bird and join this lovely community on here but just saying, look at what you want then decide the route to go. A lot of birds end up in rescue and I have more than my fair share of those, a lot come with baggage to a lesser or greater extent. If you are ready to work with the bird and settle for the level it gets too regardless then please get involved and take on a bird, if you think your expectations will get in the way if the bird does not turn out how you want then you can either cut the odds of disappointment slightly by taking on a baby from a breeder or consider a same sex pair or group in an outside aviary.

Please keep us up to date on your search and ask as many questions as you can think if, remember no such thing as a silly question.;)

Out of interest where in the country are you based?

13. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I work with a charity and I will say so much will depend on the charity and local representative

14. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Grant. Echoing the rest in saying well done for doing your research first! And there is definitely no truth in the opposite sex bird getting on with you. Since you have joined this forum, why not ask Conure, Senegal and Ringneck people the good, bad and ugly about their birds? :) It might also be a good idea to visit a show where you can see them in real life.

Grant Pattison likes this.
  15. Grant Pattison

Awesome idea and thanks for the warm welcome

dianaT likes this.
  16. Grant Pattison

Ultimately I like the character of parrots and would like one that is quite a character him or her selves. I' love one with ability to learn to talk - even if it never talks. I work long hours but my girlfriend only works part time and she will be in alot - this is why I'm wondering which sex to get - I don't want to get a bird that alienates her and equally one that alienates me. I will be taking time off work when I first adopt it so I can bond with it over a couple of weeks. I will have anywhere near 2 - 4 hours a day to spend with it and longer on weekends. I have thought about getting a pair because of my work but again I guess it' down to the Individual bird as to how it'l be.

I'm from north Yorkshire

17. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

Helllooooo i have just bought a little blue pineapple conure and let me tell you i no whats hit me lol. I cant even imagine what a big parrot is like. Chase has been here since saturday and he is like having a child. He is hand reared and i adore him already but he does want constsnt attention the first day i spent with him biting the hell out of me second day was much better and today ive had no bites except my ears he loves biting ears! I have budgies cockatiels and lovebirds by far he is the most demanding and were only on tuesday the rest come over when they want to but chase is everywhere i am in every little hole he can get it and jumping flying and pooping all over me. as i right this he is hanging off the back of my phone. And now chomping down pretty hard on my ear! Good luck in whatever you choose but be prepared for lots of training and patience.

Attached Files:

dianaT likes this.
  18. Grant Pattison

That's amazing hahahaha.
    Does anyone have any ideas on potty training? I know you won' be 100percent effective on this but any ideas would be appreciated.

19. Zoe220615

Zoe220615 Regular Member

I no people may disagree but have you watched youtube training videos? The pooing i just have lots of non fragrances baby wipes about or a little hand towel

20. dianaT

Not really and birds poop when they need to and should not be encouraged to hold it in.

CaptainHowdy and Zoe220615 like this.