Teach To Talk

Rockerman 65

Hi all I'm getting a ringneck in a few weeks. We are going to try our hardest to teach it to talk. When I was talking to another owner of one they said to use a device called mimic me to help him talk when we are out the house. It records you vice and play when's your out. Have anyone ever used this device. Or a similar one. If so do anyone know to buy one at a good price. Thank you in advance

I must admit to using YouTube to play some songs for my grey to learn but haven't heard of this mimic this but sounds good and will also be a comfort to the bird when your out. I found just repeating certain things day after day worked for me. Dont forgot some parrots just don't talk.good luck

I find they pick up more form what you say to them because of the intonation in your voice.
I have seen mimic advertised but not used one.
There are also CD/DVDs that you can get.
As already mentioned some parrots will talk others may not.
The more you talk with your bird the greater the likihood that it will speak, but not always, I have had a Conure for thirty years, but he vocalises mostly in parrot not in English, yet a friend has the same breed who is a rescue and he chats away.

Ive had one of my birds (a rescue) for a few years now and he only knows nearly 3 words and learned them in the first month I got him, hasnt picked up any new words since

The new baby bird I got a year ago barely talks at all and when she does its only copying the first one

They are caiques so not known as being great talkers but I know some who say a lot more than my two
So fair warning, some birds just arent bothered about talking

I just keep talking to my birds and repeating phrases. They are more likely to pick up drama in your voice, which is why parrots pick up swear words so easily! Pionus aren't meant to be good talkers but I have been talking to Kobe since he was a baby and he has a fairly big vocabulary. Ollie my Orange-winged Amazon doesn't speak English at all. He came to me as a rescue but has so much to say in Amazon. The other two came to me already talking, Chico more so than Bobbie. Chico even at his great old age (over 50) is learning new words from me and new phrases from his past are appearing. Bobbie's English hasn't really expanded. Some birds decide to mimic the human voice, others prefer to mimic whistles and car alarms, etc. Others just think you are completely mad for trying to teach them.

I have tried to use the internet to teach birds new sounds and words but I have more success when I talk to them directly and expressing words more

i have a mimic me. sophie enjoys it- she likes hearing it say hello repeatably - it has not taught her to talk! she does like it though so do use it when out.
years ago i did teach a conure to say hello by leaving a recording of hello on when left the house so i think it is individual, some will talk, some never will, younger ones are more likely to learn then older.

Back
Top Bottom