Tank Plant Identification Help

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
As a some of you know I keep tropical shrimp … without fish :p
So one of the tanks I have which is a 55ltr tank I decided to replant up as it was looking a bit tired.
Off I pops to the local Aquarium shop to have a nosy and came across a plant that they were selling on for a customer who had decided to scrap their contents and start again. Thought hmmm looks interesting but no identification to it.
Was covered in algae which shrimps totally go ballistic for now its been cleaned up completely by them and they still love the plant.
I don't think its an aquatic plant … no root system to it so in the eventual case of it dropping dead would like to try and identify what it is. The aquarium shop think its a garden fern of some description but are unsure what it is. So hoping somebody here may know what it is....

I have nicknamed it a shrimp brolly as the shrimp spend heaps of time on it and you never see it without both the adults and youngsters resting on it. they spend more time on that than any other plant in the tank :)

IMG_5696.jpg
As you can see there are three on it in the picture lol a baby red rili sitting just above the head of a blue strip rilli with eggs at the bottom and a chocolate at the top of the shot also with eggs. I will not colour cull my shrimp and they do start to revert back to basic grey colour during the lineage hence more than one tank. Jelly bean colours in one and the reverted lines in another. The Tetra's have their own tank now as well as they were eating the babies as they hatched! Anything that hatches and matures into a bright colour ends up in the jelly bean tank the rest get to live with their natural coloured tank mates in the other tank.

I know if I wanted breed just set colours separate tanks for those that cannot interbreed would be the way to go ie blues together, CRH with Cherries as they can't interbreed etc etc. The tank with the ones that are reverted to natural colours I keep at a higher PH level to stop them breeding too much so they are at 7.5 to 8 ph and the colours are at 6to encourage breeding.

All tanks are planted up with natural plants I am not a fan of plastic plants etc.

Anyways back to fern identification the leaf is very very flat with frong shapes ….. Anybody got any ideas what it is?

@Yellowchickenparrot @TomsMum @pally

Was told it's not an aquarium plant but a garden fern that happens to be able to stand being underwater but will eventually keel over! No roots its just cuttings from a garden plant ….
@plumsmum @TomsMum

@plumsmum :aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa: you cracked it with that link you provided with the plants not to have :aplastao: it's on there its Selaginella wildenowii a none aquatic plant just like the shop said it was however seems to have lost some of its blue hue perhaps because it leaves are living underwater?!
4f270b1f10641.jpg

Back
Top Bottom