1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taming

Discussion in 'Training' started by Rachel Kendall, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Rachel Kendall

Rachel Kendall Regular Member Registered

Sorry it's me again, how long each day should I spend taming/gaining trust with my Kakarikis.... I don't want to over or under do it? Thanks guys xx

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Kaks are extreamly active so keep training sessions short 10 minutes per session four or five times a day i will tag @Roz for her view

3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

You can get a feel when they are interested and want to learn and interact, my kak that I trained loved me whistling songs to him and in return he would sit on my hand, however as said above his attention span was very short and flying around was his favourite thing to do.

4. Rachel Kendall

Thank you

5. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Agree with keeping formal training sessions very short. A few seconds here, half a minute there. But also remember that every interaction you have with them is taming/training. It might be interaction from afar as you go about the housework, whistling, speaking, singing etc. It might be closer interaction - you coming up to the cage and talking to them, offering food, cleaning them out. Monitor them all the time... are they comfortable when you approach the cage? If not, see how you can change your own behaviour to keep their body language relaxed. It might be approaching slower, lower, etc. They look like the cutest little birds in your avatar!

6. Rachel Kendall

Thanks Roz, yes they are cute .... they do feed from my hand and will happily hop on and off without food, I guess it's just patience and time to start teaching step up etc. Xx

Michael Reynolds likes this.