1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking Care Of Middle Age Ring Necks

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by kathryn k, Jul 8, 2019.

1. kathryn k

kathryn k Registered

Einstein and I have been together about a year now and seem to be settled well together now. My question is, is he too old to be introduced to another bird in his own home (not cage). Yesterday I went into the exotics shop near my sons home and there was a very small ring neck on its own in a cage looking so miserable to be honest i wanted to bring it home right then.
    It was only about 10 weeks so of indeterminate sex and hand reared.
    Trying to put my emotions on the back burner I wondered if their was any chance they might get on (if it can be done), what if it turned out to be a female, more noise?
    Has anyone introduced birds with such a large age gap (Einstein's 19) I hate to think what he could do to such a small chick.
    I don't know whether I'm trying to talk myself into it or out of it!!!

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Ringnecks are flock birds and once getting him settled and introduced to your present ringneck they normally get on fine. The only possible problem is if the new bird is a female and the male trys to take advantage. Being too young sh will defend herself, one other thing to be careful of is if the new bird is clipped as the other bird may bully a bird that cannot fly,, introducing a none flyer with other birds should always be done under supervision until you know it has been accepted. I have four ringnecks and they get on well with each other and the rest of my flock.

3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As you know,if you have another bird it will need a separate cage and when you let it out you must be there to monitor them,
    many people introduce another bird into their homes and always it is pot luck. Do let us know what you decide. Einstein may be pleased to have to sound of a 'chum' in his home.

4. kathryn k

kathryn k Registered

I have no experience of hand rearing, time is not a problem so what's involved. Tempting with treats, sweet talking. How long before he can come out of his cage or fly. What are the challenges if it turns out to be a female etc etc. Any recommendations for comprehensive reading or is it better to start up a new thread?

5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

A young ringneck female that either dose not want to mate or is to young can get protective of her self, they may fight but injuries are seldom although its possible that they can have minor wounds. Some birds that have a human as a close friend would not see a female as a future partner. None of my ringnecks are caged they are free to fly around in my home. Ringnecks are my favourite species, we love photos hint hint