1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tail Feathers Bite The Dust (again)

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by paddy, Oct 10, 2017.

1. paddy

paddy Regular Member

Hi guys hope all is well with your flocks.
    Now I was wondering if anyone on here could give me any information on anti plucking sprays or lotions.
    Ollie our green wing macaw keeps biting off his tail feathers, ok he is a baby & I know when they are young they don't seem to look after their tails but I'm thinking long term just in case there is a deeper issue.
    He is going through his first major molt but seems to be over doing it while dealing with new tail feathers. Please all pitch in, you are all saints with your help & information & once again I will be "all ears"
    Thanks in advance.

2. marley

marley Regular Member

Firstly I guess I would rule out medical, has he been vet checked and tested for worms and that his preen gland is ok?

3. paddy

paddy Regular Member

Hi Marley thanks for the quick reply.
    Short answer is yes he's all good on the health care front, but that was when I first got him home so maybe I could head back to the vet for a check up.

4. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hiya Paddy :)
    Firstly .... what Marley said :biggrin:
    How big is his cage is it big enough for him ie not bending his tail and scruffing it out is he? Violent baby play does tend to make everything get bent scruffy and sometimes knocked out! Is it all of them our just the odd one or two?
    Can we have a picture of said tail so we can see what you mean please :)

5. paddy

paddy Regular Member

Hi Dizzy hope your OK.
    I've tried to photograph what's left but he's not in the mood for pictures here's what I could get. IMAG0217.jpg IMAG0217.jpg

Kerin and DizzyBlue like this.
  6. paddy

paddy Regular Member

He's in a big cage but it's old, so I'm looking for a big double cage for him, like a big double Liberta or Nova type & I'd hope to source one over the next few weeks.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Having two of these wonderful birds I know just how worrying they can be. the green wing goes through more tail feathers than most other birds. including the blue and gold they love to bend them while preening but there long tails often get damaged with the female they are not so fussy and allow the tail feathers to become quite scruffy but a mature male will not be satisfied if they do not look there best then if in good health the feathers are soon replaced. watch your bird even when out the cage you may be surprised what feathers can go through when they turn around. if it is like mine they love walking on the floor and exploring even with the very large cages that are available the tail feathers will get caught. well Ollie is young and as you say there feathers get badly damaged Jackie JJ lost most of her tail over a short time but although she had a shorter tail that grew extremely quickly. it one thing I love when I watch these fantastic birds is when the turn around on the spot as they need over a three foot circle area to be clear. now what to look for on the old feathers is baring and check the ends a chewed end can be a sign of the need for more calcium and I use Nutraberrys to assist but please get veterinary advice for either problem as the bird may require a change in diet

8. paddy

paddy Regular Member

Hello Michael.
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'm definitely going to see a vet just to rule out any deeper issues, as a baby Ollie likes to play hard & can leave himself looking like he's been "pulled through a hedge backwards".
    But once he's had a preen he looks OK, it's just his tail, he let's it grow 6 or 10 inches then over a few days chews it off. I spray him with aloe which he likes but would like to find out if there is anything out there that is a proven product that really helps. I know it's easy to just google but you can't beat the advice from this forum.
    Thanks again.

9. DizzyBlue

When you spray the aloe are we talking fresh aloe juice from the plant or are you talking about a premixed bought thing?
    You do do the intermittent rinse I take it? By that I mean that you use aloe for a spray or two and then you have to use luke warm pure water to take away the residue of the aloe other wise they will over preen to get rid of the build up. The only time I use the fresh aloe on a regular basis is on Henni as she is a nudist and keeping her skin moist soft and supple is a must.

10. paddy

paddy Regular Member

Yeah I get everything from Holland and Barrett & there's nothing sticky icky left on his feathers after a rinse. I was trying to get him in the shower 30mins after a good spray, but he a fussy thing at times, one day he loves a shower then other days he doesn't want to know.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  11. Michael Reynolds

I do not recommend spraying with aloe every time it should be alternate or it can build up a film that encourages the bird to prune more to keep its feathers clean. yes it is great for easing itching on the skin and also a natural disinfectant but you only need a small amount in water.

12. DizzyBlue

@paddy which product are you using in the water to spray him with? Just looked at their website and none of it seems to be pure straight with no additives ....

13. paddy

paddy Regular Member

I'm using the capsules. Take one dissolve it's contents in boiled water. Leave till its cooled down then spray. I leave him for 30 minutes then rinse him off. I do wonder if it's doing anything at all as its one capsule in half a litre of water, the feathers on his body are fine, it's just his tail, it's gets to 6 to 10 ins long then over a short period of time it disappears. I'm beginning to think it's psychological. Maybe a trip to the vet would be the best course of action.

14. Michael Reynolds

yes a visit to an avian vet would be the way I would go. it may be that as the tail gets longer and the bird knocks them it may be giving discomfort to the birds rear end

15. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member Registered

Just to add to the brill advice already given just wondering if you have provided a preening toy? Sometimes helps?