1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tail Feather Gap

Discussion in 'Feathers And Grooming' started by denzarki, Jul 11, 2017.

1. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

I know it's normal for parrots to shed feathers but is losing the middle section of her tail something to worry about? [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kendra likes this.
  2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Oh we have a gap tailed and gap winged Amazon at the moment too! don't worry it's major moulting time, she's OK I'm sure.

Shirley likes this.
  3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree, it happens with our Sennies too when they moult.

4. Kerin

Kerin Regular Member

Yep, Chewy does this every year as he replaces his tail feathers. It eventually gets to where the only ones left to molt are the couple on the outside that you don't notice, and the couple of inside ones making a gap like this. :)

5. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

Thanks guys, she's still flying fine she just can't look threatening when she flares lol

TomsMum likes this.
  6. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Agree with everyone, gaps are normal at moulting time, Tommy has only half a tail at the moment. I must say Denzarki her colours are brilliant, well done Echo.

7. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

Must be all the cheese she steals off me!

8. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

That isn't a moult. But not too worrying un less she has another shock and looses the rest. Keep an eye out for what could have caused it. When MrP saw my pet rabbit for the first time out through the window he lost 5 on one side took a couple of weeks to grow back.
    There are 4 feathers in that picture on the left and only 2 on the right so would mean due to the gap spacing and unequal symmetry that she's had a shock or panicked and dropped the feathers. Think it's 12 tail feathers in a blue fronted amazon which yours isn't ... have a nosy at photo's you have taken of her in the past and have a count up :)
    They will sprout back pronto and all come in at the same time as long as the entirety of the feathers was cast rather than broken off. But by the looks of the condition of the remaining two would say they have been cast entire.

9. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Do some Amazon's not follow the standard symmetrical pattern though? Tom never did :thinking:

10. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

She's scared of everything so no idea what could have scared her most lol

11. Shirley

Shirley Regular Member

Scooby is also molting his tail feathers he also does this every year nothing to worry about denzarki.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk