Supporting Local

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
My local pet shop stock Johnson and Jeff parrot food, they do the low and no sunflower mixes which I have had for Luna a few times. She liked it!! I obviously feed fruit and veg but is this an ok brand and mix?

dianaT

Staff member
That's good to hear. Long time ago (25yrs) I used to buy it in sack delivered but often found it was dusty & not quite as I would like it to be so I changed to a different one which over time the same happened, but this was long ago so things have improved a lot since then. But I eventually changed to Tidymix and they won't eat any other mix!

dianaT

Staff member
Well mine have the Large Parrot Mix depends on what is suitable really. I buy direct from Tidymix and need the large sack so get free delivery. You may be best to try a couple of their other varieties in smaller quantities? https://www.tidymixdiets.com/

plumsmum

@Yellowchickenparrot https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Johnston-Jeff-Low-Sun-African-Grey-2kg-Lsag2/1907831880?iid=273334308486&chn=ps&adgroupid=43920634520&rlsatarget=pla-359427365517&abcId=1063846&adtype=pla&merchantid=7456014&poi=&googleloc=9046166&device=c&campaignid=797602469&crdt=0 This is one of the J & J seeds specially for AG's.

Bear in mind that seed does not offer much nutrition so ensure it is the smallest part of Luna's diet. I now give my girls some seed in their night cages, (I dropped Nutriberries after hearing about an ingredient which does not sound good) it is more for their mental well being than physical, having sieved most of the large seed out it is more like budgie seed. They have to eat a heck of a lots of little seeds.

You will probably be surprised by how many pet shops in the area sell seed so worth exploring those local opportunities, as they say use it or lose it :)

JessCheekyMia

I use to use Johnson's and Jeff low sunflower seed mix. I too was trying to support local business but I have to admit I was not impressed with the seeds so I went to As's mixes instead.
I found the Johnson's and Jeff low sunflower seed mix to be very dusty and the seeds just crumbled in my hand so I chucked it when I got my AS5 mix. This was in 2013, so they might have got better I don't know.

TomsMum

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I used to buy J&J for Tom....it seemed fine to me, and good quality. A little seed is no,problem in a balanced diet...and they need a supply of fat, so good quality safflower and a few sunflowers are fine, after all that’s what goes into many of the pellet mixes. I buy Delinature seed.

Michael Reynolds

This was a problem in the past and it turned me away from Johnson and Jeff but they have improved and the main dry mix for my flock is J & J lean and fit. My birds love it and it is a good mix I get mine from Pinions near Larkfield in Kent and I know how it is stored. I do support my local shops as best as possible

Annmarie8

My local pet shops parrot seed are full of sunflower seeds and not much else sadly otherwise I would like to but locally. So I buy from scarletts

Roz

I feed mine Johnson & Jeff too. I haven't noticed a problem with dust and think it is one of the better brands (I have tried a good few over the years). Since Michael spoke about the Lean & Fit, that's what I have recently been buying (thanks @Michael Reynolds). It smells lovely and certainly not dusty. Before that I was buying the J&J Low Sunflower for African Greys. Seed mix is only a very small percentage of these guys' diets - I concentrate more on fresh food since seed mix provides little in the form of vitamins and minerals. I bulk out the seed mix anyway with other things, plus remove any dried fruit already in the mix. I was buying the J&J Low Sunflower locally and am going to ask if they can also stock the J&J Lean & Fit.

JessCheekyMia

My sacks of J&J low sunflower seed must of been a bad batch or the pet shop had it in their for a while then. It had a long date on it though. I just didn't like the way the seeds were crumbling and breaking in my hands. Roy agreed and said don't give them that. I had to go through the whole sack to find some good seeds until my AS20 arrived. It took me ages lol.
But mine love AS20 so I will carry on with that.

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Wow lots of interesting stuff, I have found the j&j mix relatively ok however I did have one bag that seemed to not be as good mix as normal but that was one bag.

Michael Reynolds

Yes but I never purchased it and I only used it too adapt a parrot from that to lean and fit although I did give a little to the other flock members to see how they liked it. of course it went down well as it has sunflowers in it and the birds thought it was a treat.

plumsmum

J&J triple clean their seed these days not had a bad bag for a long time.
@plumsmum if you into buying seperates then have a look at a company called Jungle Gold I use them they are also always at the PSUK shows. https://www.junglegold.com/
Visited their premises once not that impressed tbh, seemed more interested in supplying for the rat business they run alongside. :)

I cannot really give Roo a mix with any sunflower seeds in at this time with trying to get her cholesterol and tryglyceride levels down (a lot). Sure as eggs are eggs she will only eat those as that is what she was fed at the feather hacking pet shop for almost a year. Lou is probably Ok to. Both only have seed in their night cages, with both being new to me, I am unsure how much wet/fresh food is being eaten, also going through a transition period it serves as a top up and better than leaving fresh food in to go off. Roo isnt eating very much seed and Lou just flings it everywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom