Sunlight

Dolly

I have been reading some of the recent threads about UV lighting etc. I get very strong direct sunlight shining in my lounge and kitchen diner from around 11am to sunset. Because of this, I don't think I would need one of those special lights. Chunky is just to the side of the patio door, and Frankie will be in the lounge in the line of light. Would I be ok without one? I'm just thinking about the lack of space to put one in here. If I had to I would.

From what I have read the concentration would not be enough as it is filtered through your windows. If it were direct as in an outdoor aviary that would be different. It is particularly important for Frankie.

Thanks for that Julia. It will be ok in summer then as we have both doors open in lounge and diner all day. We are fitting mesh across them to stop the birds getting out. Oswald wouldn't have got out if we had already bought it :( will have to get one for winter I guess.

Julia is right Dolly it doesn't work just having them the other side of the window, you get them to attach to the cages they don't really take up any space :)

Julia is right Dolly it doesn't work just having them the other side of the window, you get them to attach to the cages they don't really take up any space :)
Oh I see, I didn't know that. I was envisaging it being floor standing! That will teach me to go look at Scarlett's website. Slap my wrist! :)

I shall make sure I have one by the end of summer.

Reactions: Lou
The uv in this country is just not strong enough, even if a bird was outside all day every day it would still be lacking in what it needed

thanks Dolly :) yes have a gander on Scarletts, there are a few different sorts :)

Actually Dolly we do the floor standing ones as well so you were right :) As they need to be very close to the cage they don`t take up much space, but obviously the cage attaching ones take up even less! Lol

The uv in this country is just not strong enough, even if a bird was outside all day every day it would still be lacking in what it needed
Thanks Scarlett. I just had a quick look. They are not as expensive as i thought! I will I shall see how many pennies I have left this week and may buy one. Would you be able to hang onto it and send it with the cage?

The cage will come from the importer so that will be a seperate delivery, but I can have the light sent whenever you want, we have plenty here so there`s no panic :)

The cage will come from the importer so that will be a seperate delivery, but I can have the light sent whenever you want, we have plenty here so there`s no panic :)
Oh I see, I didn't realise. No probs I will just order as normal. For the cage I've ordered which one would be best?

i have a tight fixed onto the side of charlies cage it is angled so it only covers part of the cage. thats so he can move away from it if he wants. i have it plugged into a timer so he can have it on 2 hours at a time with 2 hours off when im at work. he loves to bask after a shower. it takes up no room at all. it has improved his feathers a lot.

Deffo need a uv light ,I've had the one that attaches to the cage and obi kept trying to chew the wire when he was out. I've now got the floor standing one but have took the weighted bit off the bottom and cable tied it to his cage as it wasn't tall enough seems to have done the job .

Ali

yeah I take all my down when they are out, wouldn't have any cables left otherwise!

Your cage has a covered top, so you`d be better with the floor standing one shining down on him when he`s up on the play area or sat with you

Your cage has a covered top, so you`d be better with the floor standing one shining down on him when he`s up on the play area or sat with you
Ahh ok, I didn't realise that. I've forgotten what it looks like lol! I shall look at floor standing one. I guess I could place in the corner of the room next to cage instead of the other side which would mean it blocked walkway into diner

I had always thought you had to attach them to the walls- thanks for this Lou

Reactions: Lou
Back
Top Bottom