Sunday 3rd November

Michael Reynolds

Good morning every one, its a sunny and dry start to the day, birds are all in high voice and demanding my attention as usual. have nothing special planned for today apart from cleaning and tidying up. Having a day in with the flock I hope you all have a great day. keep an eye on your birds with a lot of fireworks going off over the next few days

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning everyone, sunny here after it pouring down overnight.
Been busy sorting out the bins for new recycling scheme. The 6 containers are kept in the dairy so I bought this plastic unit (along with everyone else - Argos sold out) and the swing bin with the grey sack in (used to be the black sack) is in the downstairs loo, this soon gets filled with parrot soiled newspapers etc! Shall empty the Unit drawers when enough in them into the appropriate bags. But, the local council are now not accepting many things that actually have 'recyclable' on ! They have to go into the general waste grey bag and we cna only put of 3 every 3 weeks. No one is happy. But the councillors are as they are giving themselves a pay rise and probably a pat on the back.kitchenbins.jpg

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Gales and downpours overnight and its just calmed down and got brighter, hopefully thats it for today. Luckily no more trees down as far as I can see.

Thats some impressive recycling collection @dianaT - they seem to be happy here to take all sorts of plastic (even film and cartons) here but we have to recycle glass seperately (the walk of shame to the bottle bank with wine bottles), and supermarkets all have recycling areas for batteries, lightbulbs etc, ink cartridges etc.
Hope everyones respective necks / backs / hips / arthritic conditions and coughs & colds are improved today.

Bradders

Parrot Power!
Staff member
Good morning!

Recycling is definitely more complicated than it used to be! Our kitchen is tiny and we’ve just invested in what I call a superbin! One bin with compartments for paper, plastics and even food waste! I had separate small bins anyway so probably not much difference in size but will keep everything in one place which will make a small room lest cluttered!

There‘s only two of us in the house and the ultimate aim is just to reduce the waste. I seem to be going down the path of minimalist living so should have an impact on our waste.

Last day of my half term here, back to work tomorrow. it’s been a lovely week, not done much once new carpet was fitted and sofa was delivered but sometimes, having time to just sit and do nothing but read is just the best!

Enjoy your Sunday birdie friends!

Ararajuba

Hmm, our local rubbish collection truck trundles around here between about 10-12 pm, every day besides Sundays and holidays, and they collect everything, no questions asked. There is some sort of organic waste collection on Wednesday too, but it's not really too popular, as people don't tend to be very keen on having decaying organic material sitting around all week in this heat. It feels almost like a public service is being provided in return for local taxes (much lower here than in rip-off UK, or in most of Europe for that matter).

There would be a lot less domestic waste being produced in the first place, by the way, if not for the dominance of supermarkets and their high-packaging policies (these make it easier for them to display goods in their preferred manner, have them handled by minimally trained people, and transport them in bulk from their far-off sources, while providing shoppers with no genuine benefits). Blaming the consumers for excessive waste production and expecting them to jump through hoops to address a problem they didn't willingly create (though it can be reduced to some extent by responsible shopping habits), is not really the solution. Modern European recycling policies mostly make it easier and more efficient to outsource waste to places like China for reprocessing, the free labour of consumers helping to ensure the waste is relatively clean and pre-sorted, therefore easier for middlemen to transport and industrialists at their end to make a profit.

dianaT

Staff member
Manufacturers are to blame for this. Back in the day we never had this problem - yes I am going back a long time. Foods were wrapped in greaseproof paper/paper bags etc etc. Veg was loose and weighed tipped into my old shopping bag kept specifically for this purpose.

The other day I watch an old TV film on channel 81 which focussed on the old Covent Garden back in the late 50s. All produce was arriving there in wooden boxes, crates, some in cardboard, all recyclable, not one piece of polystyrene, plastic etc was seen. I do think lessons can be learnt from way back if only manufacturers would be prepared to make changes.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

It seems quite normal her to take and fill your shopping bag to the supermarket, empty it onto the conveyor belt and repack it using as little packaging as you want. It also means you dont fill up a trolley and overbuy! You can also get (could make them) lightweight material bags with drawstrings to put your fruit and veg in, wiegh and print off the price label and reuse again and again.

Top Bottom