1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday 30th December

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Ooooh me 'ead, had a little tipple last night. Was not totally locked and remember most of it but do remember knocking at a neighbour about 22.45 for some reason, he was up and don't think even I would have done that had there not been a light on then I came back here and phoned a friend then my brother. It was as the air hit me when I took Frankie out that started it off. That will teach me to go on the Jack Daniels.

The weather looks to be ok here with light wind and no threat of wind. Its not too cold either so hopefully it will stay like that as I have several things to do outside when it is light, taken Frankie out and tended to the birds.

I'm looking forward to using my new washing machine later. It was delivered yesterday morning by Curry's and was a doddle for the guys to install It all looks straight forward except one thing..... The soap draw, as usual it has 3 sections, no problem but looking at the instruction book I cannot work out which is main side and which is for pre-wash. I have not looked much at the machine admittedly as I had friends visit yesterday so it might well be marked on the drawer anyway. When it gets a bit lighter i'll take a look outside.

Have a great Sunday Everyone, and to those that are not well, Get Well Soon

Cheers

Nigel

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning folks,
    So it is today that is Sunday then. There will be another one on Tuesday!!
    Nigel that is naughty knocking up neighbours and making phone calls so late at night!
    Hope your new washers serves you well.
    Our bin bags are being collected today so hubby taking them up to the top lane, the 4 properties down here all have to do the same as its a private unmade track they will not come down.
    Enjoy the day all.

3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Well this is the first 5min I have had free since Xmas day, finally all the food has gone family have gone and toys are away. I'm looking forward to a beach dog walk with wifey and kids. Hope your new washing machine works ok Nigel.

4. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Happy Sunday, Jolly chilly here, I got up in the night and banked up the woodstove (no CH) and it was minus 4 out there, seems to rarely get above 18 indoors although always feels MUCH warmer than that. Woke to minus 2 and freezing fog but thats clearing now, with 10 degrees and sun forecast... Dora might even be able to come outside in her "greenhouse" - one of these plastic things that I can fit her mini cage into, and she always wants to go out and see the chickens.

Attached Files:

Scarf, Rain, TomsMum and 2 others like this.
  5. dianaT

I like that for Dora, keeps the main chill of her and she can look around in safety too.
    Fine drizzle here.... makes a change from the usual rain and more rain (I live in Pembrokeshire - West Wales!)

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Good after noon all Its not a bad morning but still a little damp and cloudy. I have my windows open and no heating on yesterday or this morning. Molly is trying to find a place to nest and being a little more destructive than usual so I will have to get that sorted soon or I will end up with a few holes. Going to rebuild the kitchen sink cupboard today as that partly fell apart, I did not want to tell my land lord as there was a slight conversion made by Jackie when she pulled the door off trying to by pass the safety catch, she did succeed but must of been disappointed as all I keep in it are tools, she also pulled down the shelf and it woke me up at five but I was still up at four and fell asleep in the living room with Jackie and Sid on me. well its a day indoors and being with the flock, Poppy is calling me relentlessly so I have to give her a cuddle quite often but the female Eclectus on egg is the most demanding of all the birds for attention during this time. I just wish I had a male to help me and take some of the attention she seeks away from me. but I love her so much and I cannot resist them flashing eyes Typical female. My thoughts today are with the many people whom volunteer and give there services free of charge to help others so hoping there new year will bring rewards that they never expected.

Scarf and Wendy Cooper-Wolfe like this.
  7. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

Afternoon all. Bit nippy outside but very sunny. Charlie is in a funny mood. he is in his cage killing all his toys. they must have upset him somehow ??? The delinquents are belting around yelling their heads off. Oh in the kitchen making sunday dinner. cant wait for me yorkshires. love me yorkshires.
    We got a stargazing experience off my daughter for christmas. ive been trying to book it but they all full up till april. still its about 8pm over the lake district so hopefully it will still be dark enough. got the dates and times for our ride on the Ravenglass to Eskdale train, just have to phone and book it and waiting for the voucher for the meal at Jamie Oliver restaurant in York to arrive in the post. busy morning now very lazy afternoon with a very happy tummy.
    safe day everyone x

8. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Never did warm up, she had to stay indoors with Mr. while I spent an hour in the chill mist raking leaves for the chickens to scratch all over the place.

dianaT likes this.
  9. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

Hi all, hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Wishing all a happy new year.
    Hello from a visitor to our garden today - a beautiful hadeda ibis. We get a lot of them but I never quite get used to them!
    IMG_20181230_184330.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

10. dianaT

Hi @Scarf lovely to hear from you,hope you are keeping well and had a nice Christmas. Here's wishing you a Happy New Year xx

11. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Merry Christmas @Scarf xx

Scarf likes this.
  12. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

well Reggie and molly are examining there nest box it took them all of 15 minutes from the time I put it in the living room to the time they started to examine it and convert the hole. they are both making there mark so I think I just got them the box just in time and Holly has just gone inside now that had surprised me as she is normally frightened a bit by new things. Reggie is still out side making adjustment's to the entrance.

13. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Evening all! I've just realized thanks to the wife's mother that many of the currently numerous weeds infesting our garden are specimens of a plant called Portulaca oleracea, known as Purslane in English. Apparently it is not only edible, but one of the best green vegetables - it's packed wtih vitamins and other health-giving nutrients, which might be just what the wife needs at present. Anyone know what do do with them though? I'm guessing stir-frying might be a valid option, but I've never tried these things. Some sources say they have a rather bitter flavour, others that they don't taste of anything, which leaves me none the wiser!

Scarf likes this.
  14. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Evening everyone
    Someone says they've spotted the Durham Puma up in the dales yesterday, surely they will all be dead now? Unless they have managed to breed?
    Freaks me out a little... Wouldnt fancy finding a big black puma or panther in the countryside
    Not sure I want them to release the lynx in kielder forest :emoji_grimacing:

Yellowchickenparrot likes this.
  15. dianaT

@Heather2131 I do believe there are big cats around how they survive I don't know but about 20 yrs ago, I was outside seeing to the chickens and looked up to the top field, I couldn't believe my eyes, there was a very large golden coloured puma? striding across the fields. I have no idea where it went, and I was home alone, neighbours were out too. A few days later on a local website another lady had seen it about 4 miles away. Something I shall never forget.

16. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

@dianaT amazing isnt it, wonder if they are breeding, I ended up reading all about it lastnight haha

dianaT likes this.
  17. Scarf

Scarf Regular Member

Hey @Ararajuba I found this https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...798ac2b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f436a89f6026

A word of warning just double check that it is purslane - there is another common weed that looks very similar but is toxic.

Assuming it's purslane, happy eating!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Michael Reynolds likes this.