Sunday 27th September 2020

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Morning peeps
Been up for a while over this side of the country its still blowing a gale and raining intermittently. However since the ginger blob (cat) has decided he will venture out this morning and he's been camped out in his basket in the kitchen next to the radiator for two days and nights solid refusing to go out I have a feeling its going to smarten up a bit today. I call him my weather cat as he's obviously solar powered lol but I suppose being old and arthritic these days takes it toll and he's allowed some creature comforts.
Think winter is definitely heading our way at speed now dark mornings and earlier and earlier dark nights. September nearly over and done with.
Randomly something just made me grin and I mean a proper chuckling grin .... remembering member Nigel giving us a christmas count down when we least expected it ...... So here ya go folks 89 days till christmas! Nigel I raise my coffee cup to you matey the only person I have come across on forum who was into drinking proper coffee and new his beans :)
Right onwards and upwards peeps
Healing vibes to all in need and stay safe peeps

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning everyone

A chilly but bright one down here.

@DizzyBlue just a thought, have you ever given Ginger YuMove Cat tablets to help his arthritic joints, our old outside chap Bruiser has them now on his food and it seems to have helped, and now the dogs both 10yrs have the doggie ones.

Oh yes I remember dear Nigel and the Christmas Countdown, also his wonderful coffee. I have to say I too only drink proper coffee cannot stand the instant stuff but don't ground the beans buy it ready done or the ready to use coffee filters that stand over a cup/mug. Always a jar of instant available though for those who do not like the real thing.

Two jobs on my ever increasing list today....clean old goldfish and do the pile of ironing, neither I look forward to.

Enjoy today whatever you have planned.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Saw the local tawny owl hunting this morning weather has been so bad at night time they obviously haven't been able to hunt properly.
Might give it a go with the tablets for ginger blob thanks Diana
See my butterfly bush has taken a right battering even with a wood stake it's got a heck of a tilt on it .... Adding it to my ever lengthening lost of things to do.

Scott199

Saw the local tawny owl hunting this morning weather has been so bad at night time they obviously haven't been able to hunt properly.
Might give it a go with the tablets for ginger blob thanks Diana
See my butterfly bush has taken a right battering even with a wood stake it's got a heck of a tilt on it .... Adding it to my ever lengthening lost of things to do.
not sure it it’s for cats as well but easy mover by the good bird inc has worked wonders for our old, slightly chubby Bichon dog, it’s like night and day, without it he can barely walk a mile or get in and out of the car, on it he’s ok with 2/3 miles and hopes in and out of our pickup.

I was sceptical but I even took vids before and after and sent them to the company.

dianaT

Staff member
@Scott199 Do you mean the YuMove? They do one for cats and one for dogs. Definitely has helped both our dogs and the old cat too. Am wondering whether it would help hubby and me :D

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Dead chilly here today, even warnings of slippery roads! Not yet too bad but strong winds and rain forecast for later.
Coffee! I love strong black espresso, but use instant - extra strong in a small cup.
This morning Dora sat in the car and watched me hoe the weeds from the gravel drive while the chickens mumbled from in their pen as I had to put them back in when I could hear the hunting dogs about a km away.
The old chicken has recovered from the bumblefoot but is a bit slow, although i don't think she is arthritic. But she doesn't know she is old and still likes to rush around doing chickeny scratching and chasing grasshoppers, recently she even took flight for a few feet in her haste to get to the treats. I've decided that it is a good way to live, and as I get older I'm going to adopt the same approach of not recognizing the years.😀

Take care everyone

Zoe220615

Miss Marple
Freezing here today noticed our front door is letting in draft so were trying to fix that today think he over fixed it as i now just heard the door wont shut now 🙄 christmas usually look forward to it but this year looks like it could be abit rubbish if we cant see our families. Do like a cup of of coffee and a bottle of wine 😂 not just a glass may aswell do it properly.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
Hi!
Cold day in Scotland, grey skies, no sun 😢
Ran out of coffee and cant be bothered going to get right now. Have beans but no grinder. Probably going into withdrawal given my normal coffee intake :nut:

Patiently waiting on my Scarletts order to come but alas... tumblr_lp63ykUGJy1qfzq7j.jpg

😭😭😭😭

Probably come on tuesday and always have to get it delivered to my brother 30 mins away because the delivery cost to mine is like an extra £20

Ararajuba

@dianaT @DizzyBlue @Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Hardly anyone bothers grinding coffee beans here, as it would seem like too much fussing for most people, and the ground coffee in the shops is usually pretty fresh, having been more-or-less locally produced - unless it's one of the less popular brands that sells slowly. (Some of the cheapest brands can be a bit harsh as well; they're probably blends containing mostly Robusta.)

The factory where the most locally popular brand, called Café do Sitio, is produced, is located only about a mile from our old apartment, so the ground coffee wasn't getting much time to go stale before arriving in the shops! We've gone off it a bit ourselves lately as they have been over-roasting it for some reason (it used to be nicely aromatic, if a bit on the strong side). Our favourite for a while has been this stuff, produced in the neighbouring state of Goias, which according to the packaging is popular with local cowboy types (may well be true, there are lots of them there):

1601214266860.jpeg

Not really a lot of instant sold or drunk, compared to ground - most people just don't seem to care for it much, and it is typically more expensive than ground in any case. (Can't stand it myself, I would rather have something else if instant is all there is!)

Not easy to find a decent cup of tea here though. All that the local shops typically have is various kinds of Lipton's water-flavoured tea, a local brand that isn't much better, and occasionally (in the larger places) a few tiny boxes of Twinings. I tend to just drink the local Mate tea when I get tired of coffee rather than actual tea - it's easier to find something decent!

Last edited:

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

@dianaT @DizzyBlue @Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Hardly anyone bothers grinding coffee beans here, as it would seem like too much fussing for most people, and the ground coffee in the shops is usually pretty fresh, having been more-or-less locally produced - unless it's one of the less popular brands that sells slowly. (Some of the cheapest brands can be a bit harsh as well; they're probably blends containing mostly Robusta.)

The factory where the most locally popular brand, called Café do Sitio, is produced, is located only about a mile from our old apartment, so the ground coffee wasn't getting much time to go stale before arriving in the shops! We've gone off it a bit ourselves lately as they have been over-roasting it for some reason (it used to be nicely aromatic, if a bit on the strong side). Our favourite for a while has been this stuff, produced in the neighbouring state of Goias, which according to the packaging is popular with local cowboy types (may well be true, there are lots of them there):

View attachment 31256

Not really a lot of instant sold or drunk, compared to ground - most people just don't seem to care for it much, and it is typically more expensive than ground in any case. (Can't stand it myself, I would rather have something else if instant is all there is!)

Not easy to find a decent cup of tea here though. All that the local shops typically have is various kinds of Lipton's water-flavoured tea, a local brand that isn't much better, and occasionally (in the larger places) a few tiny boxes of Twinings. I tend to just drink the local Maté tea when I get tired of coffee rather than actual tea - it's easier to find something decent!
Tea - liptons it's awful! we are able to get typhoo or pg tips but its only in the special aisle and costs reduced as much, but worth it for early morning. We then have Rooibosh tea from the biocoop but again it's expensive.
Many households here seem to go for the coffee pod nespresso machines, but I'm not keen. Bought my husband an aeropress system a few yrs ago but he never uses it, maybe i should take it over.

Scott199

@Scott199 Do you mean the YuMove? They do one for cats and one for dogs. Definitely has helped both our dogs and the old cat too. Am wondering whether it would help hubby and me :D
@dianaT lol I’m thinking of taking a few mm to see what happens 😂

@DizzyBlue

sorry my mistake it was by the birdcare co

seems it’s for both and I can’t recommend it enough, maybe it was luck, maybe coincidence, our bichon has never been diagnosed with anything wrong but he was just getting old and starting to struggle to walk or jump, don’t get me wrong he’s not like a puppy but he’s running and jumping now, hasn’t been like that for years

https://birdcareco-shop.com/drs-easy-mover/

Ararajuba

@Wendy Cooper-Wolfe - I thought those pod things were mostly used in small self-service type cafés? A bit surprising they've become popular at home in France. The coffee is pretty inferior to properly made ground stuff so far as I remember, maybe a bit above the level of Starbucks "coffee" though. (Starbucks keep trying to start up in Brazil with much fanfare, then once people try their heavily promoted coffee and realize how inferior it is to something they could get round the corner for about 1/10th of the price they don't come back, forcing them to pack up and leave once again! Wife tells me this has happened several times now.)

I must say that I've never been impressed by that Redbush stuff (never seen it here anyway). I don't think I'd bother with it myself unless I was on a holiday from caffeinated beverages! I actually find mate quite a tolerable tea substitute - and it's somewhat popular here, though I don't think many can tolerate it bitter like I (and apparently most of the Argentinians and Paraguayans who drink it all the time) prefer it. The locals also tend to think the gringo (me) is very reckless, and possibly a little crazy, in routinely taking coffee without sugar, which is considered a very extreme preference here!

Top Bottom