Sunday 24th Nov

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning, nice to hear you some fish, do let us have photo in due course.
Hoping the person who asked for my old fridge freezer turns up today it is rather cramped in the kitchen at the moment.
The new one has an extra shelf in the door which is just the right size for my cans of G&T ;)
Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Michael Reynolds

Good Morning Yellowchickenparrot plus Diana and all that follow, dry but cloudy start to the day, all the flock are very cheerful this morning. I am pleased you are getting some new occupant's for your fish tank will love to see what you have bought. Diana your kitchen may be cramped but you still have enough room to chill out in there.:risas3::risas3: have a good day every one

Ararajuba

Well, we've had a busy day already as we went to the handicrafts fair at the TV tower again today. I had to pretty much shove a reluctant procrastinating wife out of the door in the morning (it always takes her forever to get herself sorted out ready to go anywhere) as we had to get there by about 10 at the latest. Torrential rain or scorching heat were pretty much guaranteed by the early afternoon (as it turned out we have had both in succession!), besides the fact that there are a lot more people milling around there by lunchtime, and some of them are professional troublemakers, who may try to pick your pocket, or just harass you for money, which we could definitely do without when already having two babies to manage (one rather mobile and with naughty grabby hands).

Anyway, it went pretty well this time. We found a place that made and sold solid-looking stained plywood bookcases at a decent price (my big girl has got so many books now that she urgently needs her own to store them on), which look a lot nicer and more robust than the plastic-covered MDF junk everyone else seems to stock around here. We'll have to get them to deliver however, as there's no way to fit a decent-sized bookcase in the car with the babies, otherwise we would have bought one. We also found a furniture maker who said he could cut hardwood pieces to order, so I'm hoping he will be able to prepare the wood for the new harp I'm thinking of making, once I've actually managed to draw up some plans and acquired the wood. (I should be able to do the rest, but don't have the equipment for cutting the wood to shape.) Wife also found a whole shop full of (mostly) watercolour paintings that she liked, mostly of things like flowers, nature scenes, and old colonial-era local buildings. She was thinking of getting one there and then as the price wasn't too extravagant, but decided in the end that paintings are a bit of a luxury right now!

The only things we actually bought were a nice big hardwood bowl for a fruit bowl, a very noisy native-style wooden whistle which my big girl happily played in the car all the way back (ears are still ringing from this), and some cheap polished semiprecious stones from one of the jewelry/gem shops, of which there are quite a few there. The wood bowl shop had hundreds of really nice handmade hardwood bowls of different sizes, shapes, and woods, apparently all Indian (as in native) made. Shop lady also showed us a strangely shaped little contraption which was obviously a musical instrument and meant to be blown, but we couldn't work out how to play it. She said that it was the traditional flute played by her tribe - and that it was actually played with the nose (which she demonstrated for us by shoving it on her own and whistling on it for a while). Can't say that we much fancied the idea ourselves though, especially after it had been up her nose!

The stone shop also had some really nice toucan and parrot statues made of coloured stone (the greater part probably something like agate), which my girl was very keen on (also, she could identify not only the parrot statues, but the toucans!). However they were somewhat pricey, and would probably not last very long if she was able to get at them, so we decided against getting any for now. The same shop had some big lumps of what I recognized as emerald-bearing rock (some nearly fist-sized), some of which had quite sizeable veins of emerald crystal embedded in them. The shop lady said they were mined locally, in Goias state. If I had the right equipment I could have got a chunky 25x10 mm (at least) solid piece of rough emerald from the largest one. Admittedly it would be a low-grade one, but still - the rocks were only about £10-20 each, so it was quite tempting!

Top Bottom