Sunday 13th October

Michael Reynolds

Good morning every one, well its another damp day, lot of rain overnight as well, I was going to be out this morning but owing to the weather that has been cancelled. all the flock are ok but a little quiet at the moment, that makes a change but it is dull out so I find the weather out side can make a difference to the flock. I hope your days go as planned and turn out good, have a great day every one

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning Michael and everyone, hadn't realised there had not been a morning post yet!
Only just stopped raining here.
Hubby has a new toy - a log splitter, he's wanted one for years. One was advertised on local FB selling site yesterday and we jumped at the chance to go there yesterday evening and buy it, it is an electric one and works well. The chap said we were the first to ask after it followed for over 20 more! So now - yes you have guessed, it is in the barn and being 'fiddled' with. It worked well when the chap showed us but a certain person has to take things to pieces....I'll say no more.

Judith Boyd

Registered
Morning all! :)
Log splitter sound like heaps of fun! :) You will be toasting marshmallows all winter!! ;)
It's windy here, but the rain has stopped.
I'm trying to do lesson plans I haven't had the heart for all week... We may put Aku's cage in the garage today... there are still seeds scattered all in the base, that my 6-year-old put there for her to come home to when she was at the vets....
I have been talking to a breeder who is based near to us... he has a baby who hatched the same week my grandmother (Aku's original owner) died and who was ready for his new home the day after Aku went... it feels like it's meaningful... but since I can't even write those words without crying, I'm not sure we're ready... he has very, very kindly said that he could keep hold of the baby for us though... so we are having family contemplation today.... In my head, the baby has a name already - Echo - Aileen (my Grandmother - we always called her by name) always called her parrot Aku (a Hausa word, meaning parrot - from their time in Nigeria) but I don't think I could call another parrot Aku... Echo is nearly the same though...

Michael Reynolds

Judith I understand how you fill, its hard to decide when and how long you should wait, I am pleased you will talk about this with all your family, at the moment you are torn between respect and loss, along with the worry of was it something I had done, well knowing the problem I can assure you you had done nothing wrong I recently lost my disabled Amazon. I did know his problems over a year beforehand and of course when I found him I was shocked as he hid his problem so well. I was told he will be lucky to live more than three months as internally and externally he was far from being in good health, got him to balance and trust me and he seemed happier with his new life, you gave Aku your families love and noticed the change in her ways you acted correctly taking her to seek medical advice, I will support your families decision on what ever they decide Hugs

Judith Boyd

Registered
Thank you Michael!
Everything you have said is exactly where we are at. It is wonderful to have the understanding and support here... what an amazing community you have all built!!
I'm sorry about your Amazon :( I know now how intensely we become attached to these beautiful, engaging, intelligent creatures!
When my boys heard that Aku's liver was failing, both offered to donate their own, or break any of their bones if only it would help... It was their childish way of saying they would give whatever it took, make whatever sacrifice it took to save her...

I love the quote you have in your footer!!! :see_hearts: It's a brilliant approach to life!!

xx

Last edited:

Michael Reynolds

it takes all of us to keep this community going and even you can help by your experience if another person unfortunately finds them selves in the same spot. we are all here to help each other, not just help our birds, this is what makes this site so special, thank you for your kind words

Judith Boyd

Registered
it takes all of us to keep this community going and even you can help by your experience if another person unfortunately finds them selves in the same spot. we are all here to help each other, not just help our birds, this is what makes this site so special, thank you for your kind words
I'm going to try! :D

Michael Reynolds

The message on the footer was a poem I found from my mothers stuff that she wrote unfortunately when I found her it was a bad time for the family, she passed away at a young age of 102, for ever in my heart as she was so wise, I still get saddened about a ringneck called Beryl that past away, He was loved by every one that met him, He changed my life and all that I do for others now, yes parrots are so special

Judith Boyd

Registered
It's a gorgeous poem!! Very wise indeed!!! :D

The Amazon was 102? That is a very respectable age!! Oh, to be able to see what she saw!!

Beryl sounds like Aku! :see_hearts: :see_hearts: :see_hearts: :see_hearts: I'm glad he changed your life!! :D

Michael Reynolds

no sorry, my mother was 102 when she passed away, although I did have a pair of orange winged that lived for over 70 years the male was blind the female missed the male too much.

Judith Boyd

Registered
That makes more sense! Sorry!! Wow... Amazing! What a wealth of experience she must have had in her life!!

Top Bottom