1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suitable Diet For A Blue And Gold Macaw?

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by ellies_mum, Nov 3, 2018.

1. ellies_mum

ellies_mum Regular Member Registered

I've started reading about 'parrot chop' and realised that this is a very different diet to what I currently feed Ellie. At the moment she has 70g Kaytee Exact Chunky and 30g mixed seeds each day, split into two meals. Most days she also has a little banana, and occasionally some satsumas, grapes and apples (with pips removed). Her favourite treats are pinenuts. She gets fresh water twice a day. We weighed her today and she's currently 1002g according to the kitchen scales. Does anyone have any recommendations for particular parrot chop recipes or anything else I can do to improve Ellie's diet?

2. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

I guess she needs more veg, mine get pellets and seeds, and fresh fruit and veg every day, I dont blend it like you do with chop, mine are happy with sliced peppers, brussel sprouts, apple, berries, banana, sugar snaps, carrot, grapes etc etc too many to list!

Are the kaytee pellets coloured? As I've read the colours arent good, my baby caqiue came eating kaytee coloured pellets but she eats harrisons no problem as I had concerns over the colourants used.

3. ellies_mum

They are the multicoloured pellets, and I think I've read the same thing about the colours not being so good. We feed her the Kaytee because when we tried mixing in a small bag of Harrisons she would always leave those pellets and just pick out the Kaytee. Do you feed the veggies alongside two meals of pellets or instead of one?

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

There are some suggestions and recipes of chops for birds in the food section. I am not a lover of colouring but I give mine Harrisons mixed in there seed I use Johnson and Jeff lean and fit. there morning feed is normally fruit and vag served in different bowls . mine love corn on the cob and peas but I provide cucumber lettuce and Brussels, the small tomato's and fresh green chillies are also liked. the fruit seams to go first though but about half the veg gets eaten before the seed feed in the evening. Brazil, pine and walnuts are by far the Macaws favourite treat. Ella is a good weight

5. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Yes, try to feed brightly coloured fruit and veggies which are rich in beta carotene. Beta carotene is a precursor to Vit A. My vet once told me that most of the captive birds he sees are Vit A deficient. Vit A is vital for a healthy immune system and mucus membranes. Carrot, sweet potato, squash, peppers, chillies, broccoli, kale, dandelion leaf, papaya, mango, orange melon etc. are all rich in beta carotene.

You can sprout grains and legumes too if you are inclined:
    https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/how-to-sprout-step-by-step-guide.30053/

... and provide cooked grains and legumes. 2 parts grains to 1 part legumes or thereabouts provides a complete protein.

Tree nuts will provide omega oils... walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios etc. Not too many. Macaws are said to need more nuts in their diet, but that probably doesn't apply so much to captive birds.

I also sprinkle ground flaxseed on top of their fresh bowls to provide more omega 3 oils.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Here’s a link to an article about chop
    http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/chop.aspx

And here’s a post from Jen showing what she made for her two

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/parrot-chop-mash-day.33201/

I would try to avoid the coloured pellets as these can cause some issues.

Veg content should be more than fruit, and if you feed this first thing when your bird will be most hungry then it’s more likely to be accepted, you can always sprinkle a little seed or a few pellets on top as some encouragement

7. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

This apple pip thing I would think is because you read they have cyanide in them?
    Apple seeds have about 700 mg of it per KILO of pips (a pip weighs about 0.6gms) you would need 100 grams of cyanide to despatch a 70kg human that is one heck of a lot of apple seeds and you would have to chew every single one of them!
    It's actually a chemicals called amygdalin that is present in apples seeds which is a glycoside (a composite) not actually pure cyanide.
    As for birds … I haven't bothered removing apple pips in a lot of years now as there are so few inside the apple the vast majority of birds ignore them anyway and will scoff and bite to pieces the juicier flesh. Eating the odd bitter tasting one or two isn't going to kill your bird from cyanide poisoning.

8. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

I was doing the same until I came across Leslie Moran's articles in Parrots Mag, Choline Rich Food - Linseed (Flaxseed) whole and raw, High in Omega 6 (inflammation causing) EFA's, feed sparingly. July 2018.

Roz can the complete protein be made up of sprouted and cooked?

9. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

This is the trouble, different ‘experts’ say different things, and if you take note of all of them you get paralysed into doing nothing. Jason Crean and Stephanie Lamb say Linseed is Ok.
    I use a small sprinkle once a week on veg and fruit for the Omega-3. I have to limit nuts with Chiko because of too much fat, and he refuses to eat soaked nuts (can’t say I blame him!)

plumsmum likes this.
  10. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Yes @TomsMum you are right, it is a case of which way to turn? Nobody gives a solid guidance of what is needed to ensure good nutrition.

11. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Flaxseed provides a natural balance of Omega 3, 6 and 9 oils. Fish oils provide different Omega 3s which are admittedly superior, but I wouldn't feed parrots fish oil with the risk of mercury poisoning. Plant sources are always going to be balanced with fellow omega oils. You could go for a marine algae that would contain the same omega 3s as fish oil - that would be the only veggie source. I sprinkle on Chia seeds too - which also has it's own balance of omega 3 and 6. Don't think you can get away from omega 6 oils in plant matter. Methinks it is all about balance and moderation.

TomsMum and DizzyBlue like this.
  12. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

I know well enough @Roz that they are essential but it does make you stop and think when it is spelled out to feed sparingly as it can cause inflammation.

Jason Crean also says that Milk Thistle seed is OK to regularly feed both well and poorly birds?

It is who to believe really and been taking in several 'experts' information over time but when you have one that regularly feeds raw mushroom does that not make you question the rest of their information. Leslie Moran IMO has not done this and one reason I find her information believable.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  13. ellies_mum

Thank you so much for the advice and links! I’ve made Ellie’s first batch of parrot chop today, ended up with about two weeks’ worth. She’s had a little try of it but we will see how things go.

I used carrot, red pepper, sweet potato, brussel sprouts, sugar snaps, almonds, cooked pearl barley, red lentils and split peas. I’m going to add banana and top it with her regular seed mix each day to make it seem more familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Reynolds and DizzyBlue like this.