1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Lunging, Now Nipping Husband

Discussion in 'Training' started by Raphaecat, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Raphaecat

Raphaecat Regular Member Registered

Hi Feather! To add to the fact that nips me he now also nips hubby. Chris could step him up and tickle hi, but now he’s taken to not lettering him hold him. He can tickle him and if the lands on the floor and can’t get going again, Chris can pick him up. Desperate times! My son is the only one who can hold and tickle. I still give him treats and he’s he’s fine with that, but still nothing any closer. .is it still early days?

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hiya :)
    You need our Roz to guide you through the training threads to help you all work though it :)
    @Roz
    Have you had a read of the training folder? There is a back to basics step up thread with piccies that would more than likely help

3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Hi Raphaecat! Thanks for the tag, Dizzy.

Remember that nipping/biting is generally final communication to say "no". Before interacting with any parrot it is vital to read his body language first. If the bird puffs up, leans away or shows other body language that says "no" it's a good idea not to go ahead regardless and try to touch him. That's when you are likely to get bitten. With Kobe (Pionus) I always watch his body language very carefully before interacting with him. When I am not sure, then I will ask him to step up on a hand held perch. What I am doing is trying at all costs to avoid the bite, because the more a bird bites, the more he is learning to bite.

I suspect Jasper might be bonding more to your son than anyone else. Make sure your son isn't stroking him inappropriately... ie. keep the tickles to the head and neck only. He shouldn't be stroking his back or under his wings.... which are reserved for mates only.

On a positive note, that's great Jasper is taking treats from you!! You know, since he is taking treats so well, why not start another form of communication with him in the form of training? Target training. This will give you another way to interact with him instead of just giving him the treats. It will be fun for both of you. Your hubby can also try, but he will need to work on Jasper taking treats nicely from him first. Roy here posted a great video to show you how to target train a while back:

Wakizashi21 and RoyJess like this.