Spray bottle and cuttle bone for an amazon best ones..?

Shadowdh

Registered
Hi there... so we're going great guns with the amazon we have taken in and we're learning everyday... just wanted people's thoughts on what sort of spray bottle would be best to use for his bathing and which cuttle bone people think is best for him to chew on... many thanks

That is good news. A hand held small spray type you can buy usually from a garden centre is what I use and always put warm water in as by the time it reaches it's feathers it's cooler rather than using cold water, best to spray in the morning or early afternoon so birdie has time to dry properly before bedtime. As for cuttlefish I buy from pet shop or you can get it on-line from various places. Many seem to enjoy chewing and destroying it just for fun and some ignore it!

I don't give my amazons cuttlefish nor my greys
They all have a tiny pinch of Nutrobal once every other week - full vitamin and mineral requirements very useful for selective eaters (buy the smallest tub you can as it lasts for ages especially if kept in the fridge). Or if you think your feathered friend is lacking essential amino acids as well as minerals, vitamins and trace elements get hold of a bottle of NecktonS and you can pop a couple of drips in the water bowl.
My amazons looooove fruit and also love their greens but watch them when it comes to fatty stuff like peanuts, sunflower seeds etc they can be piglets and over do it and are prone to fatty liver disease .... amazons are lazy birds why fly when you can convince your human slave to take you where you want to go!
My two male amazons (double yellow head and a blue front) are both prone to getting nasty tempered when they get too much fat in their diet so something to watch out for.
Mine love to get absolutely soaking wet through so make sure your spray bottle is large enough to hold enough water,

Nobody baths like an amazon!
This is a link to pictures of my two boys after a bath :risas3: Because Nobody Baths Like An Amazon :) | The Parrot Club

I don't give my amazons cuttlefish nor my greys
They all have a tiny pinch of Nutrobal once every other week - full vitamin and mineral requirements very useful for selective eaters (buy the smallest tub you can as it lasts for ages especially if kept in the fridge). Or if you think your feathered friend is lacking essential amino acids as well as minerals, vitamins and trace elements get hold of a bottle of NecktonS and you can pop a couple of drips in the water bowl.
My amazons looooove fruit and also love their greens but watch them when it comes to fatty stuff like peanuts, sunflower seeds etc they can be piglets and over do it and are prone to fatty liver disease .... amazons are lazy birds why fly when you can convince your human slave to take you where you want to go!
My two male amazons (double yellow head and a blue front) are both prone to getting nasty tempered when they get too much fat in their diet so something to watch out for.
Mine love to get absolutely soaking wet through so make sure your spray bottle is large enough to hold enough water,

Nobody baths like an amazon!
This is a link to pictures of my two boys after a bath :risas3: Because Nobody Baths Like An Amazon :) | The Parrot Club
Thanks for the info... will def watch the fatty stuff then and get a bigger bottle... love the pics of your soaked birds 🤣

We use a Hozelock pump-up spray for misting/showering our birds. The advantage of that is it is far easier to direct a constant stream of spray.

Chemicals can be left on the bottle during the manufacturing process. Whatever spray bottle you use, it should be thoroughly cleaned before use, and disinfected with a bird-safe solution e.g. F10. Ensure that the solution runs through the spraying mechanism too. The bottle should not have been used for anything else i.e. it is important that you buy it for the purpose of spraying/showering your birds and nothing else.

You can add quite warm water to the bottle. It will cool considerably during spraying - you can test the temperature of the spray on the back of your hand. Once a bird has had a shower, keep an eye on them for signs of shivering, even in a room where the temperature is comfortably warm. I have noticed this occasionally with my Jardine Jessie and if she looks cold, I encourage her to perch on my shoulder, where she will get extra warmth from my body.

I got some chemical resistant spray bottles for cars since the spray mechanism is much more robust. The spray bottle that already made up F10 spray comes in is similar and just as good (after it has been washed and rinsed well). My bottles are usually 1 litre or 750ml.

Couldn't find it earlier, but this is the one that we use:

I_5489261_COf_ProdMedium_713542_1.jpg

It is a little heavier that the bottles that you have to pump manually, but once pressurized, it provides a constant stream (you can lock the sprayer on) and it is very easy to direct the spray where you want. Less tiring on the hands too. The nozzle is easily adjusted to a fine mist. It costs more than hand pumped sprays, but it is heavier duty, so it should last a few years.

Back
Top Bottom