Sprained wing?

AliceAndRosella

Registered
Hello lovely people! My gorgeous Tango the rosella has hurt himself. Today he woke me up chirping, so calmly I approached his cage and went to open it, and he fluttered around a lot in his cage and bumped into the side, and I think hes sprained his wing.

He has been getting worse with his freakouts around me. He HATES me going anywhere near him down. He'll fly off and sometimes hurt himself due to how scared he is of me. I have owned several parrots before and all have turned out fine, but i have never owned a rosella. I am trying my very best to take care of him. He has a good diet, a big cage, hes out of his cage more than inside. I can't take him to the vets until next week, but I will, but Im unsure how toeven take him. How will i transport him into a smaller cage when he hates being handled? I feel like such a bad owner. I love him so much, and want him to be okay.

Please, any advice would be so helpful. Thank you!

dianaT

Staff member
Don't feel bad. I have always found Rosellas are more an aviary bird than and indoor pet and as you know he likes to fly, but you give him plenty of time out.
I guess it's still early days yet and it can take a very long time in some cases before he settles more.
As for his wing, is he still flying? Perhaps if you can post up a photo of the wing for us to see.

AliceAndRosella

Registered
I will try and get a picture once my grandmother is home as I use her phone as a camera as I dont have a phone only a laptop, but I can show u a picture of a parrot with the same issue (visually anyways)
1629094657658.png NOT MY PARROT! Justt a picture of what Tango is doing with his wing, too.

Michael Reynolds

Sorry to hear this, I have recently had an injury with my king parrot Malcolm, he had a fractured wing. thankfully his recovery is doing well. I will recommend you restrict your birds movement, have you a travel cage you can put him in? You do not know what injury your bird has so until you get your bird to the vets you must let him rest as best as possible. your bird will most likely need some type of pain killer and something to stop swelling so its a must to get him cheeked asap. your vet may decide to strap its wings up to restrict the bird from causing further injury and also aid the wing in its recovery. the injury may of been caused when a wing went between the bars of the cage and the bird panicked. this happened to one of my birds many years ago. please keep us updated.

Michael Reynolds

I will also mention that your bird will panic more as with a wing injury he is more prone to be attacked by predators, this can be a normal reaction with an injured bird, do not take it personally. as he panics while you are near then only go near him when you have to, always talk so you do not startle him when you approach and move slowly. try to keep lower than your bird especially your hands. I do not cover my birds when transporting them but i always take a cover with me so that i can cover the cage if a bird starts to panic.

Top Bottom