Sound Proof

Having a Too I can understand your problem, my Buster has his cage as far away from my neighbours as possible. I have also helped people who have had complaints about the bird noise. sound proofing materials can be expensive and the cheapest way I have found to isolate sound from neighbours is to build a plasterboard wall over the existing wall and the neighbours. another thing that can reduce sound from out side is to keep windows closed but have a vent fitted. Now i know you are more concerned by what you can still hear so although you have two entrances to the bird room I can assume there are both with door that can be closed at both entrances then you can use the cone side of egg boxes on the inner door and a draft excluder on the floor by the door. hanging a curtain out side the door will reduce the noise a little bit more . I hope others may have some ideas to help.

Thank you for your feedback. We live in a house, so are not concerned about neighbors. The room the birds are in unfortunately does not have any doors. We have gates up to keep the dogs out of that room but that’s it. We need at least one door, but not sure if there is a certain type of material that would be best. Also, gotta figure out the type of door - a pocket door would be amazing but we have plaster walls, so not sure that would work.

Sometimes I wear ear plugs but those can bring on vertigo.

Items in the room like carpet will dampen the sound and stop it echoing
Nice thick curtains an also help
Its all about stopping the sound reverberating around the room
Laminate floors are great for cleaning but really let sound carry.
You could try working out why they are loud and either retain the sound to something more acceptable or if its contact calling then contact call back .... I do it a lot with mine stops any screaming and replaces with a tuneful whistle ... I whistle a very short contact whistle while out of sight and I get their replies same short whistle back to me I listen then whistle and visa versa.

Standard pine door - my kitchen door is pine with little iddy biddy windows in it so I can see into their room to ensure they are ok or stick a curtain rail above the door and have a nice thick curtain up should damped the sound down a lot if its nice an thick

There is an area rug in there over wood floors but area rug doesn’t cover whole floor. There is wood furniture. Curtains are a decent thickness. Majority of time it’s contact calling but def attention seeking sometimes. I work from home so it’s not that she’s alone too much. It’s just certain times of day - AM, around noon when husband comes home for lunch and before sun down. If I’m home alone or husband is, she’s completely different noise wise. She doesn’t like us being in another room together. I have ignored, replied with other sounds and it varies the response I get. Pine is good for sound proofing? Good to know. Need some new toys maybe. Suggestions? Thanks for the feedback. You all have helped me learn so much about these birds. 😊

I read somewhere that carpets and toos aren’t the best idea bc of the dust. I probably need to remove some items from their room and rearrange in general, so Gus isn’t right next to her. Could her loudness damage his ears? Still learning his body language. Not easy. Lol.

Don't move them too far apart or they will start yelling louder to each other birds are flock creatures and massive contact callers.
My amazon boys kick up a stink first thing in a morning and at roosting time at night its chuffing deafening but its what birds do ... dawn chorus and dusk contact calling checking everybody is where they should be ... home safe and sound.
Carpet wise not heard anything about carpets and Too's yes they are dusty birds lots of feather dander as are greys (I have 3 of those in the house as well) I run air purifiers (with hepa filters) and also charge around with the vacuum cleaner regularly and I damp dust ... its just habit for can't say I actually notice the amount of dust from them as such .....

The room is not so big that they won’t see each other if I move them. Someone told me Conure and cockatoo shouldn’t be kept close? Gus the Conure isn’t noisy at all. It’s jasmine, the too. Lol. Her scream is deafening. I’ve considered air purifier. Dust is something that doesn’t bother me a whole lot bc with having four dogs and two cats, I’m used to more dust. How many birds do you have and how big is your home? Ours is a two bedroom ranch style home. Birds are in what most people would have as a formal dining area. Circular type floor plan, hence the two door ways to access their room.

Back
Top Bottom