1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonny The Senegal

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by Andy brown, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Andy brown

Andy brown Regular Member Registered

Had a very busy time over Xmas and new year a lot of people in and out. Due to this sonny hasn't been out much. Every time I get him out he remains fairly chilled out, but once I relax he bites the crap out of me. Mainly hands sometimes ears but the worst is the fat rolls on the back of my head. Due to his biting my daughter's don't really want to let him out. Advice please at the moment it's a pain letting him out as we have to shut out the dog and cat. I'd love to have him out with the dog and they do play together but I fear without a cage between them there'd be blood and possibly death.
    Help I'd have him out while cooking but the daft bugger would only go and explore it!

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

yes this is a typical problem with these Dracula's with wings, when out they need your attention and relaxing or doing other things can set these lovely birds off, I will recommend trick training when your bird is out as this allows both of you to work together. I will call in @Roz for her advice

3. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Hi Andy! :wave: Thanks for the tag, Michael. :)

I've just been reading back over some of your older posts. Is Sonny still ok with your wife and daughter? I know your daughter is now afraid of him which isn't surprising. It sounds like you and he have made some progress if he is ok with you to begin with... until you relax.

Ask yourself what purpose the biting serves for Sonny? Is it lack of attention from you when you relax? Is it your reaction after getting bitten (drama reward)? Because you mention your hands, is it because he doesn't want to step up? Or be touched? Re your neck, is he on the back of the sofa/chair when he bites your neck/ears? Or is he on your shoulders? Are you in his perceived territory? There could be many different reasons. If you can identify the reason in each scenario, then you will have something to work with.

For example, if Sonny is coming up to you on the back of a sofa to bite your neck, I would remove the antecedent (something that sets the stage for the behaviour)... your neck... by temporarily covering it with a scarf. Then you can work on gradually revealing your neck again over days or even weeks. If however, he is on your shoulder, I would not let him sit on your shoulder until you have built up a better relationship with him.

I really like Michael's idea of trick training. It would open new lines of communication between the two of you. Will he take a favourite treat from your fingers? Something that you could use as a reinforcer (reward if you like) for behaviour you want to see more of. You could start with something simple like target training. Here's a good video to teach you how to target train a parrot:

JessCheekyMia likes this.
  4. Andy brown

Great thankyou.
    He's now a lot better with the ladies and so far hasn't gone for a full out attack like he has with me. We have found out he doesn't like kitchen towel or tissues and I have blown my nose before two attacks so lesson learnt. Do try to relax with him one time we watched a whole game of rugby together before he started to bite. Think he may just be an odd cookie.

5. Rain

Rain Parrot Sniffer Regular Member

That is definitely one way to describe Sennies. :emoji_grin:

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.
  6. Michael Reynolds

Senegals do get mood changes I cannot have Pringle about if I use the microwave Sparky hate rustling paper tissues are hated by Terry spoons and metal clanging will affect my female Neko I cannot empty the dish washer when she is about

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Glad you found out what made him attack. Bobbie is the same with tissues/kitchen towel. She also used to bite if I touched the remotes - in the middle of desensitizing her to them.

8. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Dora has attacked a few times when I was blowing my nose so I have learnt to not do so with her on my shoulder or to turn away. She used to hate rustling packets with a vengeance - I have been flown at when taking things from the fridge in the UK, her skidding to a halt on my head and stopping only by taking a chunk out of my forehead or eyebrow! She will happily sit on our shoulders and is usually OK there, but sometimes when on my hand while Im walking from one room to another will dive down and bite my fingers, yet another time will gently rub her beak and other times just nothing. I get less bites now I read her body language better and if she does start to bite at any time I just stand still and stop talking to her.
    Still an odd cookie though!

Rain likes this.
  9. Andy brown

10. Andy brown

This sonny this morning now he's off in the kitchen with mum. Fingers crossed I have some fingers left to cross.
    Bless him

dianaT likes this.
  11. Michael Reynolds

Sonny is lovely

12. Andy brown

Thankyou just don't tell him he'll get a big head.

13. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What a gorgeous Sennie.

14. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

He is super cute

15. Rain

Rain Parrot Sniffer Regular Member

Aw he's gorgeous and looks full of mischief.

16. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Lovely boy, but looks llike he is ready for mischief!

17. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Lovely pic! Looks like he's up to no good! :lol:

18. Andy brown

Sounds like you have all meet sonny. Little super star but also a daft cookie.