So You Think You Want A Parrot?

TomsMum

Administrator
Admin
Our forum welcomes all to come and talk parrots. Some people do a lot of research before becoming a parrot keeper, for others it may be an impulse buy, or a bird inherited from a family member, or that they wanted a parrot “cos it will talk” and be entertaining.

We have a lot of information for both new and accomplished parrot people in our Caring for Feathered Friends sections.

Today I came across this article, written by a knowledgeable parrot keeper. He shares his thoughts about the considerations you should think about before embarking on this major undertaking.

http://viemagazine.com/article/ten-reasons-you-shouldnt-get-a-parrot/

Yes it’s a bit warts and all, but I think very succinct, and perhaps if Pet shops had a handout like this, there would be fewer feathered friends who are not well looked after, or physchologically upset, and fewer birds needing rescues and rehomers.

I would encourage everyone to have a read.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mine have been in lycanthrope mode for a couple of days but was hoping it was just that some have got some large pins breaking through …. MrP just has a big gob!!!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hmmm mind you MrP did hear me making him an appointment at the vets this morning for next Friday so maybe he's getting himself revved up to kill me for taking him???? BUT he forgets there is a vet nurse there that he adores and as soon as he hears her she starts regurgitating :nut:

Donkers65

Registered
Our forum welcomes all to come and talk parrots. Some people do a lot of research before becoming a parrot keeper, for others it may be an impulse buy, or a bird inherited from a family member, or that they wanted a parrot “cos it will talk” and be entertaining.

We have a lot of information for both new and accomplished parrot people in our Caring for Feathered Friends sections.

Today I came across this article, written by a knowledgeable parrot keeper. He shares his thoughts about the considerations you should think about before embarking on this major undertaking.

http://viemagazine.com/article/ten-reasons-you-shouldnt-get-a-parrot/

Yes it’s a bit warts and all, but I think very succinct, and perhaps if Pet shops had a handout like this, there would be fewer feathered friends who are not well looked after, or physchologically upset, and fewer birds needing rescues and rehomers.

I would encourage everyone to have a read.
Excellent Read...Thank You for sharing

Brilliant article. Gives an honest view to those without parrots, and confirms to those with parrots that we're a little bit on the weird side! ;) Despite having our 2 macaws, I always tend to advise people "don't do it!", if they're a serious contender rather than a 'fad' parrot person, then they'll get past the negatives!

nightfly

Registered
I never knew just how lucky I was, getting birds who were as wonderful as I imagined they'd be. I don't know how much it had to do with getting them all as baby birds from a specialty bird shop, or myself and my wife being just the right type of people that these birds like. When I read about all the troubles some have, I thank my lucky stars that I would up with the birds I've had. Despite the article saying how different parrots are from dogs, my birds would probably transition into great family dogs if that were to occur. Oh my, how lucky I am. And thank you all for reminding me of what the rest of the parrot world is like. I guess my boys wouldn't be a very good example for anyone considering getting a bird, as they're clearly not very representitive of many of their cousin tiny avian dinosaurs. There have been times when I didn't think I appreciated my guys as much as I should; this is one of those times.

That article is very true i just wish that every person who thinks about owning a parrot would read it and think long and hard before making a life long decision as yes some are very good but a lot are not in the wrong hands you need to be very dedicated to be taking on a parrot thats my opion anyway

Rio'sRich

Have read this article before and it does no harm in reading it now and again, I feel it helps keeping a perspective on the relationship we have with our own parrots and sometimes giving 'us' a kick when we need it for the betterment of our birds.

Reayath

Registered
Fantastic insight and purely the best way to explain different personalities/ traits in different animals — not all pets are pets if that makes sense. And to this who don’t understand I mean just because it’s for sale doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a pet that best suits you 👍🏻

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
Parrots should not be considered as pets in the same way that a dog or a cat is in my opinion even if they're tame they're still not as domesticated and take a lot of knowledge and understanding to properly care for them. I worry about posting pictures of my parrots on social media or videos because in the past ive heard "oh thats so cool, it can talk, I want one!" and it just fills me with dread because I know a lot of people will then go and buy a parrot without doing their research and it will end up at a rescue centre or not being cared for properly.

Top Bottom