1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Want A Parrot?

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by TomsMum, Oct 24, 2018.

1. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Our forum welcomes all to come and talk parrots. Some people do a lot of research before becoming a parrot keeper, for others it may be an impulse buy, or a bird inherited from a family member, or that they wanted a parrot “cos it will talk” and be entertaining.

We have a lot of information for both new and accomplished parrot people in our Caring for Feathered Friends sections.

Today I came across this article, written by a knowledgeable parrot keeper. He shares his thoughts about the considerations you should think about before embarking on this major undertaking.

http://viemagazine.com/article/ten-reasons-you-shouldnt-get-a-parrot/

Yes it’s a bit warts and all, but I think very succinct, and perhaps if Pet shops had a handout like this, there would be fewer feathered friends who are not well looked after, or physchologically upset, and fewer birds needing rescues and rehomers.

I would encourage everyone to have a read.

Roz, KEV H, DizzyBlue and 3 others like this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thank you I shall read it later.

TomsMum likes this.
  3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Just had a good read of this and …. have to say the good the bad and the ugly mentioned in the latter paragraphs all live at my house!!
    Good read and pretty much exactly how it is

Rain and TomsMum like this.
  4. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

It doesn’t mention getting extra cranky when it’s full moon, I.e. today....bitten finger!

DizzyBlue likes this.
  5. DizzyBlue

Mine have been in lycanthrope mode for a couple of days but was hoping it was just that some have got some large pins breaking through …. MrP just has a big gob!!!

6. DizzyBlue

Hmmm mind you MrP did hear me making him an appointment at the vets this morning for next Friday so maybe he's getting himself revved up to kill me for taking him???? BUT he forgets there is a vet nurse there that he adores and as soon as he hears her she starts regurgitating :nut:

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Very good article! Glad it is pinned.

TomsMum likes this.