So Mackenzie Is Now Plucking

Wendi

Hiya all, not been on in a whilst - hope you’re all well.

You might remember Mackenzie having had Chlamydia, and subsequent skin infections from overpreening. Well, despite frequent attendance at the vet for skin issues, several trials of medication for anxiety/behaviour, several types of collar to limit his access, he has now started pulling them out!

He’s had the all clear for Chlamydia, and his bloods were mostly normal (white count a bit low, same as a year ago).

He looks really scruffy due to his excessive chewing on his feathers, but the last couple of weeks he’s been pulling out his new feathers coming in.

I can’t find any stimulus, and he mostly does it when I’m home with him.

Just wanted a wee rant as it’s breaking my heart he’s now plucking. :emoji_disappointed:

Hi lovely to hear from you again, poor Mackenzie though it is such a difficult habit to try and help to stop.

Hi Wendi, try some chamomile tea hun, wether it be warmish tea from a mug sat with you, in drinking water, in food? I add it to Harrison's Mash in the hopes it does something. My heart goes out to you hun, I have a picked/plucked, heading for oven ready G2.

Diet plays a huge part in Ekkies, they can react badly to synthetic additives in their food as well as pellets and are best on an all fresh diet. Ensure that there is plenty of Vit A givers such as carrots, sweet potatoes, squashes, peppers. Have a look for info by Carolyn Swicegood if you have not already heard of her. :)

Awww, Wendy I am so sorry. It is so frustrating when they pluck and you can feel helpless. Alfie was a top-class plucker when he came to live with me (not a feather from the neck down). I did manage to break the habit and for over 12 years no plucking BUT he fell off the wagon. Over the past 4 years he goes through little episodes of plucking but touch wood we always seem to nip it in the bud. Unfortunately Ekkies are known for being pluckers :buenrollo:

Things we do:
Shower every day- Alfie doesn't mess with wet feathers, he won't preen his feathers or mess with them until they are dry.

Soothing spray for when the pins come through

I usually move him into a busy room in the day and then a separate room at night.

I make foraging boxes. Alfie is not a big fan of toys but he shreds paper so paper foraging boxes keep him occupied.

Limited wet food- just in case it is hormonal

Rope swings- he can spend HOURS un- picking these and this action replaces his over-preening.

Lots of time in his travel cage. I place his cage in different rooms, outside etc.

Trips in the car- he loves the car

But sometimes you do everything you can and they still pluck :nono:

I have also noticed plucking can be very hormonal with him. I will usually see an increase in regurgitation, attempting to feed me and aggression towards others.

He's a beautiful lad and it's great news that he's been given the all clear from the vet! I totally understand your "rant" as you called it because we're the same with our macaws, and I myself have had the odd mini meltdown on here! It sounds like you've already done it or are doing it, but double checking environment, diet, interaction, play, bathing alongside physical health is all you can really do. Once you've assured yourself/been assured of this, and he is still a potential nudist, you just need to try and ignore it. It is very difficult to do, but as our vet told us on more than one occasion, if they're happy, healthy, and part of the family don't make yourself ill worrying over it. Some people have habits like biting their nails etc etc... that are a subconscious comfort/compulsion, some parrots chew/pluck feathers. Unfortunately it's sometimes part and parcel with captive birds. I write this now with total conviction and acceptance of the situation, yet knowing that at some point I'll be fretting over the pinky bald back of our little girl Bebe, whilst she cuddles on my knee, happily pulling out the latest set of pins! Always remember........you're a good parront! Xx

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom