1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smelly Food

Discussion in 'Food And Diet' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Is there any herbs, spices I could put in my chop to maybe make it more enticing to eat?

2. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

I put together a bowl of seeds and stuff (pinch of linseed, sesame, a few sunflower seeds a couple of pine nuts etc), and to bulk it out I include crushed chillie peppers, cardamom seeds (green or black), cumin, coriander, cloves, whole peppercorns,star anise too. I vary it day to day and sometimes they will get eaten sometimes not!

cazimodo and dianaT like this.
  3. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Thanks I will try and get hold of some new ingredients and see if I can find something Luna likes the smell and taste of.

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

If the chop is for you then i do not know your favorite smells, I use fresh orange or lemon juice to improve the smell of ckop, you do not need much just a slight sqeeze, (two of my flock will not touch veggie chop unless i juice it slightly)

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.
  5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

cazimodo and Yellowchickenparrot like this.
  6. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Thank you, interesting that garlic is in there - I know most sites say it is toxic but Dora goes nuts to get at it when I am preparing garlic and I have often given her a tiny bit.

7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Have a look at Basil and Oregano

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.
  8. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

I buy star anise when its on offer in large quantities and them bung it in dishes around the house parrot safe if they want a nibble lovely aromatic aniseed hmmm like having a herbal air freshener :)