1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight Panic!

Discussion in 'Holiday Homes For Birds' started by Jen Bell, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Jen Bell

Jen Bell Regular Member Registered

Hi guys,
    We are in a bit of a pickle! We have booked a wedding in Oct 2019 in florida with family and friends! We will be away for 3 weeks, we have rattled our brain to think of who would be suitable to look after our sun conure Seymour. So far we have struggled to think of anyone who we would trust and who would be able to tolerate his noise level. Obviously my parents and close friends would be the first option but they are all travelling out to celebrate. Does anyone know of any temp holiday homes for parrots? Seymour is tame around me and my partner and would probably take a liking to others after a week or so or encouragement!

Any advice would be appreciated, we live in North East UK

Thank you

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome Jen Bell, can you tell us the area that you live, I love the sun conure and have one myself along with a few other flock members but many find them loud that can restrict many people, what is your suns name

3. Jen Bell

Hi Michael - I have a feeling that you are too far away, me and Seymour (Sun) live in Durham, north east UK, but will be flying to Florida from Manchester airport the day before so I would have time to drop Seymour off during the day - I see you live in Kent which is quite a distance, but I certainly won’t rule it out!

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Ok I noticed you are in Durham I will see if any members can recommend a good place for your bird to stay and congratulations on a very exciting time for you, if you cannot find a place it would be no problem for me to help keep your mind at rest so you can enjoy this special time it just the distance that makes things awkward.

5. Jen Bell

Thanks Michael, that would be kind of you! The people close to me who I would trust to look after him are all coming to Florida with me, so it leaves me with limited options. Just need somewere were he will be safe, fed, watered and some interaction, although he is good at keeping himself occupied! x

6. Michael Reynolds

015.JPG Well I will sit back to see if you have a closer offer to a place nearer to you

Jen Bell likes this.
  7. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Hi Jen, im only along the road from you I think
    Whilst im not sure if I could offer a holiday home as I still live with parents, not sure I have the space, but october 2019 is a while away yet, I would like to think I could be moved into my own place by then but perhaps wishful thinking and I dont know of any boarders or holiday homes unfortunately.

I'll have a bit think... My only concern would be for my parrots e.g spread of diseases. Also I can imagine they would be furious at another parrot being in my room haha
    We do have a couple of members in the north east, they are over the other side of durham though.
    As I say, I am only about 10-15 minutes away from you for watering and feeding but I'd hate to think of your lovely birdie alone in the house through the day and night with only a pop in and out visit every day
    I'll have a think

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  8. Michael Reynolds

That's nice of you to think about helping Heather although your parents may have to accept it will be easy for Jen and I know that Heather will look after your sun well

9. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hiya Jen
    Try contacting Dell27 they are closer than Michael and although not in your area and still quite a travel but you never know they may know of somebody they could recommend in your area. Also give Garden Feathers a call they may have somebody listed as a parrot holiday home and they are in your area. You could also contact some of the vets in your are see if any do holiday boarding
    @Jen Bell

TomsMum, dianaT and Roz like this.
  10. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

Hi, There is a pet shop in hartlepool who board birds in their own home. I went to the shop to ask about boarding earlier this year. they were recommended to me. The family would pick up and return the birds. That is the shop where I went in to ask and came out with my 4 babies. In the end I didnt need them as my brother in law said he would look after them. I can find the name if you want to go and see them.

DizzyBlue, dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  11. Jen Bell

Hi Carol - That sounds like a good option, do you have the details? Thanks x

12. Jen Bell

Thanks Dizzy, I have added Dell on Facebook to make enquiries. We are flying from Manchester airport so could maybe take a detour xxx

13. Jen Bell

Hi Heather, thank you very much for the suggestion, I would much prefer him to be in the local area but I wouldn’t want your birds been frightened as I know all birds can get territorial. If your circumstances did change, please let me know! xx mobile number removed and forwarded in PM by admin

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2018
  14. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

hi the shop is called Strantons post code TS25 1TU. there is also a man who lives in north yorkshire you can find him on FB if you look for The Real Macaw. He looked after my burdies a couple of years ago. he was very good.

15. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

The Real Macaw is in East Yorkshire over in or near Driffield which is near to me so a long way out from yourselves and Manchester airport