1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shower Day On The Hottest Easter Weekend!

Discussion in 'Parrot Media' started by Roz, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Roz

Roz Regular Member

It is hot, hot, hot here in the UK. The birds were begging for showers.... er, except for Chico.

This was the first time Bobbie had a shower in the aviary. She wasn't sure about it at first, but Ollie showed her an outdoor shower is something to celebrate!

Bobbie first....

[​IMG]

"Yes, it's me!"

[​IMG]

Ollie next....

[​IMG]

"Can you tell I'm ecstatic???"

[​IMG]

Kobe started it all by begging for a shower....

[​IMG]

"Yep, begging! You were so slow to catch on!"

[​IMG]

Chico: "I told you, Mum, I don't want a shower... I don't like being wet.... yeah, yeah, spray me anyway...."

[​IMG]

"Can I just say for the record that I am not happy..."

[​IMG]

2. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

Lol echo is like chico, I don't know if showering is something they're taught from young but when she got to us she clearly had never seen water.. I find the easiest way is to put her in the actual shower. She acts all grumpy and abuse victim while it's happening but as soon as shes wet and back on one of her perches, then she starts the whole wing spreading and head rubbing spiel

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

cazimodo, Roz and Wendy Cooper-Wolfe like this.
  3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

When she does that bit get a spray bottle set it on fine mist and spray into the air above her so it falls like little rain drops on her she will carry on showering and soon get the hang of it.

Roz likes this.
  4. Roz

Roz Regular Member

That is great that Echo will shower will you in the actual shower @denzarki :D

Bobbie hated showers when she first arrived. Slowly slowly she is beginning to enjoy them. She prefers to try to cram herself in her water bowl! Chico's feathers (and Bobbie's) look so much better after a shower, so I persist.

When I went to collect Ollie, it rained and he was out in an aviary. He started spreading his wings and enjoying the shower. Mandy (who had rescued him) and I froze to the spot so as not to put him off. When he came to live with me, I sprayed into the air and let the drops fall back on him like rain. He got more and more used to it and I gradually began to spray him directly. Did the same with Kobe. Now Ollie and Kobe can't get enough of being showered.

For Kobe, though, it is the sound of the hoover that gets him going. I switch it on and he immediately goes into show mode.... which is why I had to get a hand held vac for the sitting/bird room.... I need to vacuum every day, but I don't have time to shower him every day! The hand held vac makes a different noise. :pancarta:

cazimodo and Latindancer like this.
  5. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Thanks for posting such lovely pics

6. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

cazimodo likes this.
  7. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Some nice flappy birdy pictures. They look like they are having fun! The birdies here only take baths, because objects that might produce shower water are all too scary!

Just out of curiosity, what counts as hot, hot hot where you are? (Are you still in the Channel Islands?) Was it also hot on the British mainland? It was about 30° here at the weekend, so nothing special. The sandflies and dengue-carrying mosquitos were out in force too, so no-one who likes such temperatures would have been missing much!

cazimodo likes this.
  8. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here in Pembrokeshire we reached roughly 23c which was pretty warm. Not so hot today and becoming quite cloudy now.

Roz and Ararajuba like this.
  9. denzarki

denzarki Regular Member

Anything above 15°c is hot for me.. I'm british, I wasnt made for sun.. I hate this weather :(

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

cazimodo, Roz and dianaT like this.
  10. JackAndRob

JackAndRob Regular Member Registered

Wonderful.
    Trying to get my Jack (Jardine) to shower or bath. It is important for his skin and feathers, but so far, he's having none of it.

Roz likes this.
  11. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Try spraying a fine mist upwards so that it falls back on him. That's how I started with these guys. Then as they got used to it, I slowly switched to spraying them directly. Also try switching on the vacuum cleaner.... it gets a lot of birds in the mood. Kobe won't shower without the vacuum cleaner running!

JackAndRob and cazimodo like this.
  12. JackAndRob

LOL. Thanks Roz. Our birds are unphased by the vacuum cleaner, as long as we start it up in a different room and then move it in their room. Perhaps it produces a lot of white noise, which may sound a bit like heavy rainfall in a forest canopy. Maybe this is what encourages birds to bathe/shower.

Yes, a sprayer is the next thing to try on Jack. We use a Hozelock pump-up spray on our budgies. Two of them hate it, but one loves it. They all enjoy the benefits though, after it is done.

Roz likes this.
  13. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Yes a running vacuum cleaner is meant to sound like a heavy storm in the rain forest. :D

14. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Vacuum cleaners can be a great tool for getting parrots in the mood for a shower or have a bath, I also use it when getting Alan my disabled Orange wing to do his exercise. Mind you I did look after a Lesser sulphur crested 2 that hated it being turned on. my love birds hate the spray but if I leave the tap running in the sink they have a field day

JackAndRob and cazimodo like this.
  15. JackAndRob

Lol. I'll fire up the Dyson next time then :D
    Also tempted to try the kitchen sink, with a gentle stream of water from the tap. I have seen that on YouTube a few times. Jack watches my hands intently (in case there a chance of a head scratch), so if I run my hands under the water to break it up, he might show an interest. Also a good way to monitor the temperature.
    He is still a baby so I am not concerned about his lack of enthusiasm for water at this stage. I am sure that it will come.

16. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

you can make a small stand to put in the sink my tiels and budgies love the gently running tap, @bikergirl Carol made a lovely shower for her budgies, I cannot remember the post she made so I hope some one can put in the link for you

JackAndRob likes this.
  17. JackAndRob

Jack had a bath this morning YAY! :D

Nearly tried the vacuum cleaner (which he already familiar with), but if it is supposed to sound a little like rain in a forest to birds, why not try a rain in a forest recording? There are plenty of these soundtracks on YouTube (Forest rain, rain sounds, etc) and it did the trick. We have a Bluetooth speaker that is splashproof (important, although I could have put it in a plastic bag ;)). This was placed next to a large salad bowl with about an inch of luke warm water. I encouraged Jack into the water with a little splashing and within a couple of minutes, he jumped right in! After thoroughly drenching himself, me and everything else, he allowed me to take him to a perch to dry and preen. After about 10 mins, and with no encouragement from me, he flew down to the bath and dived in again!

He seemed to be taking his time to dry out and I didn't want him to catch a chill, so we slowly introduced a blow dryer at low speed, minimum heat and he seemed to enjoy that too. His iridescent green colours have a new glow and he looks stunning. Well done mate :)

Roz likes this.
  18. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

Oh made this for my babies

19. PalBuddy

PalBuddy Regular Member

I LOVE IT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. JackAndRob

Me too. Superb. I don't know if Jardine Jack will be interested but I think our budgies Basil, Pepper and Chilli will like it.