She Won't Eat Vegetables

Scottw

As the title says our ringneck will not eat veggies I've tried quite a lot of different ones . She only seems to be interested in the fruits and her seed and she has monkey nuts in a foraging toy that she loves . I'm worried that if I can't give her a mix of fruit and vegetables it won't be good for her . Any suggestions would be great .

Well slowly does it just offer some every day only a little, have you tried sugar snap peas/corn on the cob. I haven't IRN but have Moustached parakeets, I have to say they are not big veggie eaters. They so enjoy shredding a cabbage or greens leaves poked through the bars. They enjoy unsalted cashew nuts or walnuts I buy them in packet in Lidl quite reasonably priced, they do a mixed nut selection too.
As for monkey nuts, I would cut those out as not good for parrots.

Ringnecks are not normally fussy and will eat any thing if they are hungry this is one reason why they have been able to adapt to living in many countries but like most birds they have there preferences. mine love dandelion leaves and the flower

Well slowly does it just offer some every day only a little, have you tried sugar snap peas/corn on the cob. I haven't IRN but have Moustached parakeets, I have to say they are not big veggie eaters. They so enjoy shredding a cabbage or greens leaves poked through the bars. They enjoy unsalted cashew nuts or walnuts I buy them in packet in Lidl quite reasonably priced, they do a mixed nut selection too.
As for monkey nuts, I would cut those out as not good for parrots.
:emoji_fearful:The lady I got him from gave me a big bag of monkey nuts to fill her toy up . Would they have have caused any problems ? I will stop feeding them from now on . I'll get some of the peas and corn on the cobs . Do you mean fresh corn or the dried ones I've seen in the pet shop ?

I'll get my daughter out collecting some from the marshes at the weekend
Ringnecks are not normally fussy and will eat any thing if they are hungry this is one reason why they have been able to adapt to living in many countries but like most birds they have there preferences. mine love dandelion leaves and the flower

I buy fresh corn on the cob then slice it up (can be hard work!) into parrot sized pieces, although you could hang it up on a kebab thing and see if she nibbles that. Money nuts they all love but they can cause problems for birds over a long time i.e. aspergillosis - a respiratory condition, also they have a high fat content.

If you pick dandelion leaves etc make sure they are a from a 'dog free' area! and and pesticides that may or could have been used including in marshy areas.
Needless to say wash well first!

I buy fresh corn on the cob then slice it up (can be hard work!) into parrot sized pieces, although you could hang it up on a kebab thing and see if she nibbles that. Money nuts they all love but they can cause problems for birds over a long time i.e. aspergillosis - a respiratory condition, also they have a high fat content.

If you pick dandelion leaves etc make sure they are a from a 'dog free' area! and and pesticides that may or could have been used including in marshy areas.
Needless to say wash well first!
I'll pop to Tesco on the way home from work tonight for the corn on the cob . I've just ordered 5000 dandelion seeds off eBay as I'll be happier growing my own just to be safe .

I'll pop to Tesco on the way home from work tonight for the corn on the cob . I've just ordered 5000 dandelion seeds off eBay as I'll be happier growing my own just to be safe .

I am sorry but I had to laugh at this:), most people would gladly give you their dandelions, they love tended gardens and grow, yes like weeds.

Dandelions growing naturally do not form big clumps as in the middle of your lawn and look quite beautiful, so go for it, just watch the flower 'clocks' or you may have very unhappy neighbours.

I have a couple of birds that have been difficult to entice any fruit or veg into, it is just patience and follow any suggestions members provide. Different parrots have different likes and dislikes, different ways they can be persuaded, just keep trying and trying and trying, I have a macaw at the moment who is being a Grand Dame when fresh food is in her bowl, every blooming day. Never stop trying, it could take a while so again, patience. Have you tried eating the veg with her?

I find chop a great way of getting birds to eat their veggies, there is a pinned thread on chop in the food and diet section of the forum x

I am sorry but I had to laugh at this:), most people would gladly give you their dandelions, they love tended gardens and grow, yes like weeds.

Dandelions growing naturally do not form big clumps as in the middle of your lawn and look quite beautiful, so go for it, just watch the flower 'clocks' or you may have very unhappy neighbours.

I have a couple of birds that have been difficult to entice any fruit or veg into, it is just patience and follow any suggestions members provide. Different parrots have different likes and dislikes, different ways they can be persuaded, just keep trying and trying and trying, I have a macaw at the moment who is being a Grand Dame when fresh food is in her bowl, every blooming day. Never stop trying, it could take a while so again, patience. Have you tried eating the veg with her?
I'll grow them in trays in the greenhouse so I don't upset the neighbours. I will keep trying and be patient.

I find chop a great way of getting birds to eat their veggies, there is a pinned thread on chop in the food and diet section of the forum x

I'll have a look into chop and see what I can buy .

I think it is best not to eat her at all? :biggrin:
This did make me laugh :emoji_grin:

I think it is best not to eat her at all? :biggrin:
Nigel! :emoji_joy:

My suggestion would be making her a chop. All of mine love it and though she may pick out the fruit, it will have small bits of veg on it as it's all been mixed together. You can also make batches of it and freeze it in portions to avoid it spoiling and making it easier for you. You can either put it in a food processor or chop it by hand. I chop by hand so they pieces are still big enough for them to know there is fruit in it.

Nigel! :emoji_joy:

My suggestion would be making her a chop. All of mine love it and though she may pick out the fruit, it will have small bits of veg on it as it's all been mixed together. You can also make batches of it and freeze it in portions to avoid it spoiling and making it easier for you. You can either put it in a food processor or chop it by hand. I chop by hand so they pieces are still big enough for them to know there is fruit in it.
I'll have a go then and I'll most likely freeze some . Is there any recipes on here ?

e6642c877a80250664b8c6e8a8784b13.jpg

Here's an example. Ingredients are...

Kale, brussels, broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn, grated sweet potato, grated carrot, apple, satsumas, raisins, passionfruit, pomegranate, cumin seeds, cinnamon and grapes.

e6642c877a80250664b8c6e8a8784b13.jpg

Here's an example. Ingredients are...

Kale, brussels, broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn, grated sweet potato, grated carrot, apple, satsumas, raisins, passionfruit, pomegranate, cumin seeds, cinnamon and grapes.
That's great thank you . I'll get the ingredients tonight when I finish work and have a go ar making it . When you say cinnamon do you mean just a pinch of powder for flavour ?

Back
Top Bottom