Sexing Parrotlets

Tonifrax

Hi, so I have a bonded pair of Parrotlets. One blue and one green. I am however not 100% sure on their genders so hoping maybe someone could help me figure this out. Ive assumed that they are of the opposite sex because ive caught them in the act on several occasions but i used to had two female dogs that were that way inclined so you never know 😂 Anyways ive read a lot of information online about how to tell. I read that males have cobalt blue beside their eyes, rump and wings. I assumed my green bird was male but neither of them seem to have cobalt on their wings from what i can see without lifting them. They both have cobalt rumps and the green one has blue beside its eyes. They both had rings when i got them but the blue had an red open ring and managed to get it off without me realising. The green one has a blue closed ring although ive read the colour usually corresponds to the year which i believe is correct in their case. Any thoughts?

Michael Reynolds

Sorry I never responded to your question, I do not know how I missed it, I am no real help though and apart from DNA or waiting to see if they produce chicks or lay eggs. if they produce chicks then you have a pair.

Tonifrax

Sorry I never responded to your question, I do not know how I missed it, I am no real help though and apart from DNA or waiting to see if they produce chicks or lay eggs. if they produce chicks then you have a pair.
Thats okay ☺ im pretty sure ive got two females due to the abscence of any dark blue on their wings. Both have blue rumps and near their eyes but not on their wings. You did say that same sex pairs still mount each other etc in another one of my threads which explained a lot. Although that is happening a lot more often aswell as trying to regurgitate food for each other. I guess thats triggered by extended daylight hours?

Lauraj

Hello!

I have a beautiful green parrotlet who has the blue rump, blue under the wings and besides the eyes so for this reason we believed he was male.
My little boy laid an egg in Feb and since then has laid eggs three times and is currently sitting on a batch of 5 so i learnt the hard way that unless you have a DNA nothing guarantees the gender of your birds.

My grey is DNA'd as a male, no eggs from him (thankfully!) haha!

Adalind

Hello!

I have a beautiful green parrotlet who has the blue rump, blue under the wings and besides the eyes so for this reason we believed he was male.
My little boy laid an egg in Feb and since then has laid eggs three times and is currently sitting on a batch of 5 so i learnt the hard way that unless you have a DNA nothing guarantees the gender of your birds.

My grey is DNA'd as a male, no eggs from him (thankfully!) haha!
Is yours a Lucida Pacific parrotlet? Females have the blue on the wings if it is.

Tonifrax

Neither of my birds have laid eggs, ive had them both a year now but they are about 3 yesrs old. They are displaying a lot of mating behaviours. Every morning i feed them, they eat, attempt to regurgitate food for each other, mount each other and then things calm down. I leave their cage door open for them all day but they just find somewhere nice to take a nap. They have the occasional fall out and ive had problems with over preening but feathers are growing back in now. I think theyre both female but could be wrong 😄

Adalind

Neither of my birds have laid eggs, ive had them both a year now but they are about 3 yesrs old. They are displaying a lot of mating behaviours. Every morning i feed them, they eat, attempt to regurgitate food for each other, mount each other and then things calm down. I leave their cage door open for them all day but they just find somewhere nice to take a nap. They have the occasional fall out and ive had problems with over preening but feathers are growing back in now. I think theyre both female but could be wrong 😄
Mating behaviours don't always end up with the birds producing eggs, though they may surprise you one day with eggs lol.

Tonifrax

Very pretty birds. That coconut toy may be encouraging breeding behaviours though.
Yes I did wonder about that, they only get it when they are outside their cage and rarely ever go in it. I usually put some seed in it but if its empty they have no interest

Adalind

Yes I did wonder about that, they only get it when they are outside their cage and rarely ever go in it. I usually put some seed in it but if its empty they have no interest
If they get in the mood they may start to see it as a nesting site. Nice little hiding spot lol.

Tonifrax

If they get in the mood they may start to see it as a nesting site. Nice little hiding spot lol.
They always seem in the mood, feeling like a third wheel over here 😂😂 I was considering breeding them but then I feel like they both may be female so I may just end up with unfertilised eggs 🤔

Top Bottom