Selling Cockatiels

bpirockin

Registered
I have three Cockatiels to sell but have no idea of an appropriate price. I took them in a few months back on the basis that I would care for them until I could find them a good home. They are all female it seems, and 4 years old. When I say "it seems" the Pearl may or may not be - I've no experience with anything other than "standard" but this one is a more solid bird. That said, it lived with a Whiteface and though they are "friends" I would not say they act like a pair. The third is a standard, very bright and interested in everything going on, and if I was going to keep one it would be her. She loves her scrickles and with a bit of time would make a lovely pet, craving company. Most of all, and very important to me, I want these birds to be able to fly, so an aviary setting would, I think be ideal.

I really have no idea what to charge, but the family want to donate whatever they get to a cancer charity on behalf of the Dad/Grandfather who had the two unnamed "little birdies". Suggestions please ?

Michael Reynolds

if they are used to being in a home environment then I would not look at an aviary home. Value wise a you tiel semi tame can get £75 pounds but can from shows be purchased from £40 up when young, an older bird at a show £30-£35. I use Tiels as companion birds for the elderly along with mainly budgies, a service I provide free of charge in my local areas. any bird I take on for the companion side I train too the hand. I supply the cages plus toys with the bird and the only cost too the person caring for the bird is to have the bird insured. Birds are great way of stopping elderly getting lonely. but I can only offer £20 each as all costs come from my pocket. Shop prices for these birds can be much higher

bpirockin

Registered
All three of these birds sat in their cages all day long. Since coming to me in January they have been out in my conservatory all day long. I find them rather noisy, as does my neighbour, which is why I'm more inclined to say that they would best be aviary birds. That said, the noisy ones re the two that lived together. The other one would certainly make a lovely companion, she is clever and interested and loves to explore. It sounds like you over a very good service Michael, but my concern would be that these birds get to fly, now that they are used to it.

CaptainHowdy

Price is going to depend on the age of the birds and how tame they are.

If you are selling as aviary birds then they will not fetch as much as a young hand tame bird. Older birds you get less than younger birds. It also depends on the area you are in. But ultimately price is going to depend on how much someone is willing to pay for them.

Regarding moving them to an aviary, a few years back I took in a cockatiel who had been a 'pet' his whole life, but unfortunately he had been neglected and the only interaction he had for a few years was being told to shut up. When he came to me he was not particularly handable and hated being manhandled, a unfortunate necessity as he had been very badly clipped on one wing and couldn't fly without injuring himself. It took a couple of months but he did move out into the aviary and he got around fine despite his wing, he wasn't keen on the younger budgies who found him fascinating but he did enjoy sitting with the bourkes. He sadly passed away a couple of years back but the last few years of his life he had all the freedom of the aviary and really came out of his shell.

Sometimes it depends on the bird, some much prefer their own species and enjoy having an aviary to spend their time in. Others are happy around people and enjoy being handled.

Michael Reynolds

None of my birds are left in a cage I teach the keepers that all birds need there exercise, I train them to handle there bird's I and even weigh them I do not just leave them with a elder person, good old Cranbrook, I used to hang out there with my brother and cousin Bonk, and a few other motor bikers. Ok the virus has meant I cannot visit some of my birds as the homes are in isolation at the moment.

CaptainHowdy

A better question would be do you have a price in mind for them?

As an aside do you have any pictures of them? I do love tiels 😍

CaptainHowdy

I kept having that issue, I got round it by emailing the pictures to myself, and in the email when you attach them you can select an option to make them smaller. Then save the picture off the email when it comes through to you and use those.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Send an email to yourself with the pictures attached then save the pictures they will have shrunk
Forum has a 1.5mg limit

Top Bottom