1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scents

Discussion in 'Home and Environmental Hazards' started by sunnyring, Jan 9, 2018.

1. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

lifted off facebook - it also applies to parrots..... (not me- someone elses cat)
    This is my daughter's cat, Ernie. He has lived with us most of his 16 years. I unknowingly have been poisioning him since Christmas and feel the need to warn everyone who might be unaware of the toxicity of essential oils. I bought a diffuser and a set of essential oils from Amazon. I gave it to my husband as a gift and also one to my daughter and daughter-in-law. We started using ours soon after the holiday and loved how the different oils made the house smell, trying a different one each day. I came down with a head cold. On the package with the oils, it said that eucalyptus oil was good for congestion, so we had the diffuser going several hours for several days in a row and close to where I was sleeping. Ernie loves sleeping with me. The first couple days I didn't notice any symptoms with Ernie, but on the fourth day, he was lethargic, unstable on his feet and was drooling excessively. My husband instinctively Googled eucalyptus oil. It stated that it can be toxic to cats and they can't metabolize it and stated all of Ernie's symptoms. It also said that without medical attention, it could be fatal! So I took him to the Vet right away! The Vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and another shot of vitamins to boost him and instructions to watch him over the weekend. Ernie hasn't been himself. He is eating and drinking a little, walking a little better, has some diarrhea, but is still not out of the woods. We also learned that out of the 8 oils in our set, only 2 are NOT toxic. Rosemary and Frankincense. Orange, Lemon, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus and Lavender ARE toxic to cats and small animals. There is no warning anywhere on these essential oils, which I feel is shocking! We have also learned that the candles we love to burn are scented with essential oils. Sorry this post is so long, but if this helps to keep any of your animals safe, it was worth the rant!!!

plumsmum, JessCheekyMia and dianaT like this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thank you for that x

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Was surprised about Lavender...as next door’s cat is always sitting sunbathing in my patch....looked it up the plants aren’t poisonous but the essential oil is.

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I would not use any scent with birds in the home or other pets. I have never been one for candles or sprays even before having any flock members. If I go to a place that is using them I never stay long as I find them irritating to my nose and I end up sneezing. well this is a good post as I never new the dangers of them to cats so now if I see a cat owner use them I will give them a warning. I would like to see warnings on the packaging not only for Humans but for all our pets if they can be affected. too much trust is given to the things we can buy in shops that they are safe in our homes but I fill that I expose myself to cigarettes (not indoors), worked with plaster and laggings. in dusty conditions, living on a main one way street that had vehicles traveling up hill and in London most of my young life having my flock is taking enough risks with my lungs and I am surprised I am as fit as I am. One good thing of having my flock it gives me an excuse not to use aftershave Etc. If any one says I smell I would have to correct them and reply I don't smell it your nose.

dianaT likes this.
  5. Roz

Roz Regular Member

6. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

There is something I have always been meaning to ask. When I wash my clothes I use Ariel and Lenor and that will give some kind of smell. Is that smell ok for the birds? I mean, a bird might land on me and just start picking at a jumper or a shirt, I am now quite concerned that it might not be good for them?

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

@Nigalius I would think that smell is not good for our birds since the scents are synthetic... much in the same way as air fresheners and fabric fresheners. After Kobe's sneezing problems, I also try not to use biological detergents and certainly scent free ones for his and everybirdie else's cage covers.

Ecover used to be scent free I'm sure, and now it's very fragrant which is worrying.

8. TomsMum

I use Persil Colour liquid, which isn’t strongly scented, and A very small amount of comfort pure, which does have a slight scent, but not descernable once clothes are dry. For cage covers, bird cloths and towels, I use DP liquid soapflakes.

It’s quite tricky finding cleaning products that aren’t scented. I bought Howard wood cleaner and polish fragrance free.....well maybe it doesn’t have fragrance added, but it certainly has a detectable odour, which does linger.

plumsmum likes this.
  9. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member Registered

@Nigalius - if your machine has an extra rinse button this can help.

10. Nigalius

Thats a good idea, it does have that button. Thanks

11. Nigalius

Thanks for that info. Its something I have been concerned about at times.

12. TomsMum

There’s far too many things that are scented these days.

Face moisterising cream is one that frustrates me, as often even the sensitive ones are scented.

It’s always odd when you pass someone in the supermarket, and the smell of their washing powder overpowers and clashes with the perfume they’ve carefully sprayed themselves with!

dianaT likes this.
  13. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Some of the fabric softeners are highly scented to the point they make me sneeze. I dislike walking down that aisle all the washing products despite being packaged still give off a scent.

TomsMum likes this.
  14. JackH91

JackH91 Regular Member

A friend of mine done a course on essential oils a couple of months back and she learned that there’s only two companies whose essential oils are 100% extracted from the plant all others contain added synthetic chemicals.

I’ve been using an unscented eco egg for my washing for a few years now and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomsMum likes this.