1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturday 6th April

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Its a damp morning here with light rain and a moderate NE wind. It is not teaming down but its a steady fall where you will get soaked before you know it. But i'm going out this morning, sod the expense.

Both birds are fine and appear well and have had the first part of their brekkie. Nacho was naughty yesterday when he decided he wanted to look in the cutlery draw. I had to take the lot out afterwards and clean the lot. But, being the crafty one that I am I used my noddle and had a word with the manageress here who I know has a dish washer and she did the lot plus a few other bits like a spatula, ladle, spaghetti scoop etc. Crafty or wot? I dont think the wild birds like this drizzly weather as normally the Starlings have nicked most of the meal worms through the night but at the moment I just have the Goldfinches feeding on the Niger seeds.

I'm going to the farmers market later, not that I can get the kind of food I normally get such as curried pie with diced meat but anything with mince in I could possibly eat and make some mash to have something different than the usual Cottage Pie. Beans and peas are out of it as they have a light skin but Caulli and Broccoli should be ok if well cooked and I love both of them. The other thing I want to get are a few portions of Carrot Cake as I know for certain that it does not get caught in my trachea. Only thing is its not the sort of thing a T2 Diabetic should eat so I am asking, can I freeze Carrot Cake?

Have a Great Saturday Everyone and if you are not well, relax, take it easy and get well.

Cheers

Nigel

2. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes you can freeze cakes. But don’t keep for too long, a few weeks I would say, just thaw slowly, probably in the fridge

dianaT likes this.
  3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning, I freeze cakes but for no longer than one month. Make sure they are wrapped preferably in greaseproof or baking paper and in a tight sealed container. Then best to let them defrost overnight.

4. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Morning all …. did somebody mention cake? :p
    Errr its morning over here this side of the UK too … and cold and cloudy …. and I think cake would be really nice for breakfast :) who's sharing??????

TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  5. dianaT

Defrosted a chocolate one and now need to put those sugar coated Cadbury eggs on top as young grandsons coming today for the week. I'll send you a large slice.

TomsMum and DizzyBlue like this.
  6. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Errr you can keep a small slice and just send me the rest :naughty2:

7. bikergirl Carol

bikergirl Carol Regular Member

Cake...me wanta cake .......
    Morning all. only just....
    late night again. this burdie is getting toooo crafty. he fell asleep under my neck again last night.
    going to visit daughter today and partke of a Jamie Oliver meal in his place in york. a prezzy from daughter. the reviews are very mixed but we can only hope its good today. ill report back later. Daughter is relly feeling this baby. he a boy called James is humungus and giving her gyp. i hope he comes a little early cos she is worn out now with 8 weeks left to go.
    Hope you can enjoy your food @Nigalius .
    safe day everyone x

Nigalius, dianaT and TomsMum like this.
  8. dianaT

Ooops am making a veggie chilli for our meal tonight (daughter is vegetarian) think I've put too many fresh chilli in and then the top came off the chilli powder when I only wanted one shake to go in! Oh well. Always have salad as a stand by.

bikergirl Carol and Heather2131 like this.
  9. TomsMum

@dianaT you could try adding some sour cream or yogurt

10. dianaT

Haven't got any but I do have some Elmlea cream may add a little?

11. TomsMum

Worth a try...not too hot though in case it splits

12. dianaT

Lol, its cooled right down. And then I poured rather too much in! All in all I think it may be salad tonight.

13. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Been there, done that, this was years ago in London where I wanted some garlic salt and ended up shooting the whole lot in cos the top came off. It ruined what would have been a nice meal.

dianaT likes this.
  14. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Hands are aching a bit because I put a medium free-standing pine shelving unit together yesterday, and am half way through a bigger one today, and am having to put a very large number of screws in by hand. My drill is a big two-handed thing and not really suitable for screws. It didn't help that the units came without instructions (luckily they are fairly simple) and the first unit was made entirely without the pre-drilled holes it was supposed to have, so I had to guess what was needed and do everything from scratch. (Seems fine now and is sucessfully holding some of my heavy drums, though the eventual design was slightly different to what the manufacturers apparently intended!)

Mrs A managed to nag the company into emailing the instructions today so I could finally see what I was supposed to have been doing. Didn't really help though, as all the holes (in this one which did have them) were minuscule, too small for the screws, so I had to re-drill them all or give myself carpal tunnel syndrome from all the strain of trying to force so many in (I preferred the first option). I then realized that several shelves were lopsided despite me having taken great care to line everything up properly. Close inspection showed that the pre-drilled holes had been erratically placed, some in the right positions and some not. I got better results with the next one by just ignoring the existing holes and making my own. There are 4 more of these beggars to go after this one is finished, and I may need to re-do most of this one due to the brilliant accuracy with which it was initially constructed. Maybe I need to invest in an electric screwdriver!