Saturday 30th November

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning

Well the last day of November and a cold one too. Must order heating oil next week now the price is high! doubt any of that was offered on Black Friday deals.

Did anyone have a successful Black Friday shop either in shops or on-line?

Enjoy the day everyone and @Michael Reynolds hope you are okay.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Bright and sunny, but chilly here in Kent, but hubby and Dora have heavy rain in France so I think the chickens may be allowed indoors today. Had a worrying time as couldn't make contact with my husband for almost 24 hrs... (I always think the worst has happened and was preparing to call in the neighbours or even travel back) but it was a power cut affecting phones Wi-Fi etc, they all had to go to bed early without their dinner, but all OK now.

Michael Reynolds

Good morning all, yes its that whatsiemacallit yellow thingy in the sky in Kent today, well the birds are in full voice I have been awake most of the night again but must of dozed off when I looked at Diana's Sky Christmas post. good news is I went the night with out bleeding. so at last the anti coagulant's are wearing off. well I have taken all my morning pills so I should be rattling away as I walk around. got to change part the dressing shortly, it should be fun picking the old dressing off as I cannot pick my nose now. things are itchy and that is a sign of it healing, you may wonder what has kept me so cheerful, its not what they took off but what they managed to save it was getting to close to the eyes for my comfort as I have always had a fear regarding my eyes and problems. I do not think the staff had seen someone who suffers with insomnia as bad as mine, they was on about giving me sleeping tablets at the doctors but I refused them completely. they almost decided to keep me in owing to my low blood pressure so most of the time I was drinking water and tea so it meant I was visiting the toilet very regular. I do miss some of the other patients they had at the hospital, some had gone through a lot and I was so pleased to help them. it may just be some thing simple like filling up a water beaker or to help them just be comfortable. they allowed me to visit some of the other wards and chat to people going through life changing operation's and even reassuring some very distressed family members. the chap opposite me had no feeling in his feet owing to diabetes and fell asleep with his foot close to a gas fire, yes he had burnt it fairly bad but also infection set in, he may even join the club later as he has a grey. seeing some of the patients I was pleased I had not gone through there experience, I think I will do myself some cheese on toast for breakfast. cannot have Marmite with it as that dose fill like my mouth and throat is being burnt. stay cheerful and happy every one no matter what life throws at you

KateA

Morning.
It's freezing here. Took some time to defrost the car. Boys are happy and whistling away. Both were very happy to see Rob returning from a few days away at work. Bobbie wouldn't leave him alone and Cash became a kissing parrot.
So far went to gym. I have been drained and lazy with my job and Ill too. Didn't go to gym for weeks. Made it this morning and quite chuffed with myself.
Now off to post office, then cook a nice sausage casserole as the weather is calling for this type of food. Might start getting Xmas decorations out.
Hope u all have a good day.

Michael Reynolds

its ok Kendra I did not overdo my toast Ha Ha, honestly I am taking things easy, I was thinking of running down to town but decided if I do go I best to take the car. Joking aside, I have to keep a carful routine, I am expecting more swelling and a bit more discomfort over the next few days or week

Ararajuba

Yes @Michael Reynolds, you need to look after yourself! *wags finger sternly* You've just been through a fairly major operation, and everyone is going to be worrying about your welfare if you keep waltzing around like nothing much has happened during the early stages of the initial recovery period. Think of them, at least!

Wife ordered some mostly not very exciting things such as baby stuff and tools for me (though I still need more to get much done around here) on Black Friday. We decided to go to the bank to pay for it through a local payment system known as a Boleto Bancario (bank ticket) with some surplus cash we had, since it seemed best to use that up first. We went to a different branch to the usual one as it was slightly closer, but the staff proved to be awkward so-and sos, to put it mildly.

Firstly, the external security guard (there were two more armed ones inside, they've really upped security round here recently) didn't want to let us in the secure area of the bank, where the counter was situated, even though wife had already told him she had an account there. I don't think he thought a couple with two young children were particularly suspicious, he was probably just under orders to try to discourage everyone from using the counter facility in favour of sending them to mess around with the ranks of self-service machines in the entrance area, which seems to be a policy these days. This is not something we wanted to do at all with two babies in tow, especially when wife was carrying cash, as that area is far less secure. We wouldn't have wanted to even if we believed in doing all the work ourselves (and putting bank staff out of it), by using machines like this, which we don't.

Finally and with much rigmarole we got inside, where we dealt with the payments in moments, unlike the dozens of people outside, as there were half-a-dozen staff sitting there twiddling their thumbs and only one old lady being served, as most people had given up arguing with the obstructive security drone and obediently gone to stand in the long queues for the machines outside. However, wife then had to put up with the twit behind the counter actually laughing at her for bringing cash to make her payment, which we thought was very strange behaviour, even leaving aside the rudeness, considering that this type of thing is simply what banks, and likewise jobs like his, are for.

I don't suppose it occurs to any of these goons that they, themselves, will be the first ones out of their jobs if through this behaviour they manage to pressurize most of their customers in going along with what their masters appear to want - everyone switching to virtual transactions, self-service machines where these are not possible, and society ultimately doing away with cash entirely. Too much work for me to explain this in Portuguese though, and the logic would probably be wasted on such folks anyway!

Of course when we got back we found a load of offers in our Email from the local equivalent of Ebay (we don't have Ebay itself here), offering up to 40% off on similar items to those we had just bought at close to full price. Would have been nice to get those a few hours before!

Michael Reynolds

I can just imagine what you will look like after your wife ordered baby stuff and tools for you. my stupid mind pictures you in a nappy and romper suit holding a drill and hammer, Ha Ha. things are so different in the ways of how people act but the bank story just seems stupid. why have staff if they do not want them used? Its a bit like what has happened over here where machines are having to be used and more and more staff are being laid off or banks closing.

Ararajuba

@Michael Reynolds - similar things seem to be happening all over the world. I don't think it's a coincidence. It saves money for the banks in the long term, certainly, but it's probably more significant that the powers that be would love to force a cashless society on everyone, because it is much easier to monitor and potentially control a fully electronic system, and virtually impossible for anyone to avoid get out of paying tax (except big multinational corporations and businesspeople of course). Not really something I feel any obligation to cooperate with, it doesn't benefit anyone besides the bank shareholders and the super-rich elites (who are more or less the same individuals anyway).

They keep telling us how "convenient" it would be for us - not half as convenient as it would be for them to know what everyone is up to with their money at all times, and be in a position to force them to comply with their requirements, no matter how ridiculous, or face harsh sanctions via the financial system - even for hiring someone to work for you, for example, who they have decided is persona non grata.

Michael Reynolds

the idea of a cashless society is a governments dream. But what will happen is the illegal trades will form there own way of valuing there trade. its a bit like the bit coin that many hide there ways of finance with, they may never beat the crooks but drive them underground and this can lead to more violence as they will control the under world putting life in danger especially to the poorer families whom may have to borrow just to survive.

I can see this leading to world wide corruption and the formations of criminal gangs far larger than what we have today.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

By preventing people getting in to the counter they can prove that the numbers of customers don't use the staffed service and justify their staff cuts. I used to have to buy tape measures 30 at a time (a teaching thing with freebie tape for participants) and when I was told I had to use the self service till I just dumped the lot and walked out. I refuse to use self service tills and outside cash dispensers.

Top Bottom