Saturday 2nd November

JackAndRob

Good morning all,

An early start for me today, as wife Yin is going into work for some overtime. There's a backlog there, so she is helping out.

Naturally, if she has to get up at silly o'clock, so do I. Laying on the charm, she said nobody makes a better sandwich (for her lunch) than I do. What's hard about putting some ham, cheese, tomato and Branston's between two slices of multigrain? Truth be told, I was already awake - yesterday evening's curry woke me up, for reasons we don't need to go into.

I have a couple of hours before the day's duties take me away from the computer. Cage strip down and cleaning day, probably with at least one eye & ear on the TV - come on In-ger-land!

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Morning :)
If it makes you feel better have been up for a few hours in this house as well. Yin savour that sandwich! Bless her going off to work at silly o'clock she deserves two sandwiches and a choccie biscuit and you know it :)
Weather warnings in place today down south high wind and heaps of rain so make sure everything is secure if you have aviaries and think about things like plant pots and rubbish flying around and scaring the birdies. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-11-02
Fireworks are going to be an issue two for this weekend as many will likely celebrate bonfire night early :( have to say though for my village this year is the quietest ever so far with fireworks going off early. Brilliant that Sainsbury;s did the no firework thing as its the only place in the village you can buy things like that so it would mean a trip 20 minutes up to the city for most around here to purchase YAAAY! Still keeping a beady eyeball out though.
Going to be having a go at the sticky silicon bathroom replacement thingy this weekend ….. should be interesting to say the least!
Parental mass duties over and done with so got time back to myself to do some other stuff … like sit here and drive you lot batty lol.
Whatever your up to today stay safe

JackAndRob

Thankfully, she's not a biccie person, although she'll finish off a box of Mikado in no time at all, They are very similar to something called Pockie in Thailand, that she recognised.

I've heard a few fireworks going off around us. I watched the birds very closely to see if there was any reaction, but nothing yet. I stayed up for New Year 2018 into 19 only to see if it disturbed the birds, but again, nothing. We didn't have Jessie and Frankie then though. Perhaps a little camomile tea in their water bowls during the evening?

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mikado are totally scrummy not sure if its the way they are crunchy or seem very minimal when you nibble on them … but its chocolate YAAAY :p

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning, talk about wet and windy here yet again, seems like it daily now.

What a to do here yesterday. Our local Council in their weird wisdom, have decided to alter the waste and recycling bins we have had. Up until now we had black bags for rubbish and orange one for recycling which worked well. Now we have 6 bins/bags! We now have to do their job for them in placing certain items in various bags/bins. Two items are some type of plastic coated bags with velcro fastening,it has been pointed out stuff inside will not stay dry and once emptied are likely to blow away (so be it!).

It also means rather than take our black & orange bags up to the top lane for collection we have to take this lot up then go back again to bring them back - if they are still there. Needless to say they has been a outcry over all of this from residents in the county which is falling on deaf ears, but not only that the councillor who instigated all of this is moving out of the county.:nono:

So, not wanting to keep all those boxes & bags indoors many folk including me have bought those plastic (yes plastic) units on castors stuck labels on them of what goes into which and shuffled things around indoors to find somewhere to put them, no one wants to keep going outside with each piece to find which bag it goes in.

This was how my day yesterday was taken up, searching for a set of those unit. I collected a nice red one ordered on Argos got home, opened box and the end pieces were broken, so coat back on , in car off to take it back, they never had any more and only had one type slightly different left in white extra £5 paid for that one, the young lad opened the box in the store and checked all was okay.

But I still needed the food waste boxes supplied by council but had not arrived, some libraries have them in stock, I found the Milford Haven library had had a delivery and they were going fast, so coat back on in car and off again (in a different direction of course) managed to get the food boxes.

Got back and phone message from a library even closer to say they had got some in! Also message from grandson & daughter they were popping over.

Daughter put the plastic unit together even if she got one part back to front, but luckily righted it.

Needless to say in between was getting messages from hubby who had gone for more radiotherapy (only 6 more sessions to go).
Hence I was rarely on here yesterday.:copas:

Today I am NOT going out and plan is to watch rugby final, so in that case I best get a move on as have all the cages to clean first and get the parrots out.

Sorry if this is boring but goodness me must have cover 50 miles in total toing & froing thanks to the county council.
This weekend must paint our house name on all of these bins & bags

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We have three bins outside ….
Blue recycle which is for recyclable plastics, tins/metal, bottles, newspapers and carboard.
Brown bin is for garden waste, food waste plus anything from vegetarian pet animals (hamsters, mice, rabbits and birds) very useful for me as it also includes their newspapers and aviary sweepings :)
Green Bin which is landfill …. so everything that doesn't go in to the top two bins....
I have a brown caddy snap top bin in the kitchen which I pop food waste into with a co-op totally compostable green bag in it (better than the local council bags that rip all the time!)
I have a plastic snap top container I pop recyclable tins, plastic and glass into (which I give a quick rinse under the tap to stop them smelling. And then I have a pedal bin for the stuff going to landfill. Debating getting one of those multiple peddle bins for the kitchen and sticking a label on top of each but the ruddy things are stupidly expensive!
Best thing I have found is making sure my binmen get a Christmas tip of things like a huge box of biccies and stopping them n the summer time when its really hot and offering them cold bottled water …. they do know I try to get the right item in the right bin but if they see something that is incorrect in my bin instead of slapping a sticker on it and not emptying it they throw the item into the correct bin for me.
Funny though as the council tax for refuse collection goes up, we do more work and the bin guys don't get paid more :thinking:

Just had a bit of a freak out session doing the product recalls … came across one in the USA that is for Johnsons Baby Powder ..... with flipping asbestos in it!! :yikes: https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/johnson-johnson-consumer-inc-voluntarily-recall-single-lot-johnsons-baby-powder-united-states

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Morning everyone gosh we got battered last night and still struggling a bit only just got power back on. I locked the aviary birds away but I still lost a quail:×( its been crazy here with Halloween parties a bird come in for SH with me and kids being cranky with colds etc, now a flipping storm!! Hope everyone else is ok

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Ooo all going on over your neck of the woods @Yellowchickenparrot poor little quail :(
Have sealed my aviary in now completely, Redone the electrics so the lights are sorted after some numpty kakariki decided to destroy the junction box to get to the cables. Power is not on to the lights unless I plug it in so at least nobody can get themselves zapped with electricity. Gone for Plan F this time around all cables are fed into the aviary through the inside of toughened plastic piping and then the junction box area is now also covered with a metal outer box with the cables feeding into the box before being fed into the junction …. so unless the little so-and-so's have welding kits and hacksaws should be ok ..... she said!
Decided to hack back the grapevines and the passion flower bush before the storms hit us this afternoon … errr didn't realise how much they had grown as the garden has to be an easy 3ft wider now! Totally filled my compost bin and the next door neighbour offered me his to fill which I promptly did.
It's hammering it down with rain here now and has been for the last hour plus the wind is starting to get up.
Spoke too soon about fireworks this morning as kids have been setting bangers off little ….. perishers ….. grrrr. Ginger garage cat has decided he's hiding in the kitchen cupboard as the fireworks upset him which is fine have cleared it out more for him and stuffed it full of blankets and towels and relocated the pans from there for the next few days if he feels safer in there that's fine by me. Have wedged the door open on one side (its a corner cupboard so he can't get trapped but can go around the corner and feel a bit more safe and secure, seems settled enough.
Going to have some boiled chuck nuts (eggs) shortly as forgot to have breakfast and just realised I missed lunch as well! DOH!

Kendra

Lucky you @DizzyBlue, our garden waste, we have to buy the bin to put it in and pay for its emptying each month, we refuse and luckily David can take it to work. No reduction in rates though!!

Weather here not bad, Sunny but windy and cold, sounds like most of the country is bad.

Nothing happening here today, birds rather quiet but sure they will be up to something they should not.

Michael Reynolds

Good Evening all, well it was a bright and sunny start to this morning and also not cold, went down to Maidstone Market and gave a quick visit to the cinema while I was there. at around eleven the heavens opened up and the winds came plus the temperature dropped. driving home there was a few roads with lots of water running across and parts that roads are flooding. Decided not to go my normal way as I know just how bad they can get with flooding in the country roads and the amount of rain we have had just lately along with the strong winds normally means that there are branches every where. Kept to the main road and that was interesting enough. I did stop and get some Fish and Chips on the way back.

I was a little tired as I never slept last night but soon fell off for three hours once I ate and had a cuppa. woke up in darkness with all the flock apart from Max and Mo are all asleep. poor flock as they have not seen much of me since I fed them all before I left but will be giving there evening feed shortly.

Dustbins changed here at the end of September, general waste bin is black lid, and not for recyclable products, the green toped bin used to be for garden, paper, food, cans, white plastic, Kitchen foil and non black food containers is now for just food containers, plastic bottles, food containers and non black trays, tins and Kitchen foil. we have a small food bin and slightly bigger one for food waste. but that is collected once a fortnight. Paper waste we have to purchase the box and garden waste you pay for the bin and pay as you go. Now I do not produce much waste compared to most people my general waste bin has not been full since the new collections started, I have very little waste for the green bin as well, yet again it has not had to be emptied since the new rules came in. but most of the waste I have is Paper and seed from the flock, seed from the flock they class as food waste and paper well its not what I would class as recyclable as bird poop is on it and I produce a lot of paper and feed with my flock. could easy fill up a large wheelie bin each fortnight. the new containers are just not big enough. Ok winters coming so I can burn a lot of paper on the fire and most foods can be put out to the wild animals and birds around, but it may also attract rats and help them multiple if I was to put too much seed out and that's something I do not want happening as many of you know the major problems I have with rats in the past owing to a river running next to my place.

well I best to go and sort out the flock so I hope you all have a good evening.

Top Bottom