1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturday 20th April

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

It looks like its going to be another good day with plenty of sun especially in the morning and a good lot of broken sun in the arvo. Winds will again be light but this time coming from the SW. There should not be any rain. I dont know weather to complain that it is too hot, too wet, too cold, too dry or what, perhaps someone has just forgotten to open the greenhouse windows. Sorry for unusually commenting with a political overtone and it is said a bit tongue in cheek.

My birds are both well and fit and both asleep right now, I hope it stays like that for some while yet as they have not had enough sleep yet. The recommended 12 hours does not normally get reached in one go but I would say 9 or so hours is reached in 2 sessions. The main one at night and a shorter one of 3 hours or so taking in my siesta and the time I spend in the small room so as not to disturb them.

Yesterday was a good one for me. I got a lot done outside and even got a wash done and dried. I planted my Dahlias which had been kept in the dark over winter and de-weeded the ground. About 4 weeks ago I trimmed my first year Heathers and yesterday I trimmed the main ones. Today I have another area to clear and prepare for the different things I want to plant. I have a friend coming round next week, a fervent vegetarian and he might be able to help put me right as to what milk to use for coffee. I have got Koko open at the moment but I need such a lot in the mug to get a decent colour and I am looking for something a bit thicker.

Have a great Saturday Everyone and to anyone a bit poorly take it easy and get well fast.

Cheers

Nigel

cazimodo likes this.
  2. cazimodo

cazimodo Regular Member

Morning Folks. Looks like it is going to be good weather again today. We managed to get the birds out for a good few hours yesterday, which they both thoroughly enjoyed.

Unfortunately Madame Ziggy has decided to get rid of the nice new feathers that were coming in on her chest, so she looks like uncooked chicken again down there. We were hoping she'd gotten over the plucking like last time, but she seems determined to be bare chested. I read that some female parrots do this as part of breeding behaviour.

Having troubles with the WiFi at home, but am dreading having to deal with the provider as I know that our house has always been wired up oddly as far as the telephone lines are concerned. Last time an engineer came out he gave up as it was too complicated for him to work out!

Have a lovely day y'all.

Having troubleb

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

3. cazimodo

cazimodo Regular Member

Heh - no idea what that means or even recall typing it. More java juice required methinks!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and DizzyBlue like this.
  4. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Morning Nigel, Cazimodo and all who follow
    This morning mist that has rolled in off the fields and the river here so promises to be a lovely day. When that mist rises and breaks its always a stunning blue sky.
    My sister and her husband did a surprise visit yesterday to mum and step-dads house so we all have fish and chips together then sat eating maids of honour buns. Mum had such a lovely time she was all giddy lol even rang we up 10 minutes after I got home to say my sister had visited and she had had a lovely time … yup mum I know I was there :lol:
    Did a bit of cleaning for my stepdad in his pond but had to stop when we realised that the fish had decided to start pawning so left them to it thrashing around in the shallows amongst the plants. He's going to up to his eyeballs in them soon lol.
    Must get the grass cut today.... or tomorrow ….. and finish off those hanging baskets too …. can you hear the enthusiasm in my words? No? Hmmmm wonder why not lol
    My house is wired up telephone wise like spaghetti with grateful thanks to the previous owners NOT! I have the same trouble when engineers come here … which is very rare as I don't like visitors so it has to be a final straw to allow them to actually come here :p
    Have an old glass terrarium and am thinking of upcycling it to grow plants in …. or perhaps rearing butterflies in it.... anybody got any other ideas? It looks like this but without the contents.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-...ocphy=9046245&hvtargid=pla-396383057453&psc=1
    Whatever any of you are up to stay safe and hug hugs to anybody needing one and healing thoughts to those not well.
    Stay safe peeps.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and cazimodo like this.
  5. DizzyBlue

Forgot to say I got a load of chocolate for easter nom nom nom!!!
    Huge porcelain bowl with "All Mine" written on the side and is filled with all sorts of different chocolates from Hotel Chocolat
    Only down side is … its going to last me forever due to the dental appointments recently :risas3:
    May just have to spend my time sniffing the bowl and trying to inhale them :pancarta:

6. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning, sunny here just washed all the parrots covers so they are out to dry.
    Poor daughter has to be sedated today & back in theatre to get the drain removed, it won't come out! causing her awful pain where they keep trying. I won't tell you the whole story not very nice.
    Am trying to give away 2 Christmas Cactus yo wouldn't believe how difficult folk ask for them then don't get back to me!

7. DizzyBlue

That's doesn't sound very good Diana your poor daughter :( bet your really worried and stressed too.
    Did my parrot covers day before yesterday funny when dried outside they seem to come up all nice and crisp feeling almost like they have been starched (not that they have)… Side line thought not many people seem to use starch on their washing anymore … how odd once upon a time just about everything had to be starched crisp and gave such lovely sharp lines on the creases down the front of pleated skirts, trousers, cuffs and collars on shirts.
    Can two cacti be so hard to give away?! People can be very errrr strange to say the least and seem to lack manners at times, why ask if then don't follow up :BangHead:

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and dianaT like this.
  8. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

just ordered my poultry feed for month and ordered a new hen with it. a pre battery! my local feed shop gets in hens that were booked for local cage farms but were surpless to requirements and sells them as garden layers. so she should have gone in a cage, instead she'll be coming here. this will hopefully be my new layer hen as I have a multitude of chickens and have to buy eggs which is a bit annoying . its because I have tiny tiny show birds that I hatch rather then eat the eggs and then some elderly birds too old to lay. this new little brown job will be my egg supply. she'll be delivered with my feed. I've asked him to try and fish me out one with majority of beak intact as these commercial hens sadly have end of beak burnt off as chicks and some of more mutilated then others. will hopefully get her end of next week. will be pampered .

9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

good morning all, I hope your daughter will start to recover soon Diana my thoughts are with her and every one else not feeling too good. I have got my Terry (Senegal)coming home for a week tomorrow so I will look forwards to him being hear and I know Sparky missis him, have a busy day had a rat in my loft the last two days so I made a way for him to get in to the kitchen as the way he got in from the outside had been blocked. he went straight into the live trap I set up, woke me up at 2am as he was bashing the trap trying to get free. At the moment he dose not seem happy for a little chap he can squeak loud, free to any home greyish brown and eight inches without his tail. Birds are all fine and in great voice and flying about, all the tiels are out but I have noticed two males disputing a female, have a good day every one and make the most of the weather.

dianaT likes this.
  10. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

@dianaT that sounds awful, ai hope they get it all sorted out.sending love and hugs xxx

DizzyBlue and dianaT like this.
  11. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

hello everyone,
    Neighbours presented me with some mini chocolate eggs yesterday as a thanks for those they receive each week from our girls.
    Dora having a full on eating day today (she seems to eat a lot one day and little the next) - started with some egg and toast and has demolished some green pepper, pear, strawberry and melon as well. Then had one of her rare baths and is now quietly resting.
    Healing thoughts to everyone not feeling well or looking after loved ones.

DizzyBlue and dianaT like this.
  12. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just had call from daughter 2 lady doctors & nurse got the drain out from a very embarrassing ladies place, she has morphine agian to ease the pain, but its done & all being well should go home tomorrow.

13. DizzyBlue

Afternoon peeps
    Well upcycle now completed for the terrarium thing for reptiles. Now have a mini greenhouse in the back garden for bringing on seeds so it is now looking after livingstone daisy seeds, garden peas, peppers, chives, chillies and tomato seedlings :)
    Have popped it on to the old cage base that I kept that came from when MrP came here (cage taken to the tip the day after he came as wasn't suitable for a bird as large as him). Placed old pieces of pine floor boards I had that were the right size (knew I kept them for some reason lol) on the top of it so that the terrarium can sit firmly on that. And being a parrot cage bottom its nice and sturdy and has casters on it so I can move it around quite easily if I want to move it in to the fuller sunshine or indeed into the shade. With being sealed on top with very very fine mesh it means no insects like greenfly are going to get to my seedlings as they come up. Worked out with a old steel oven shelf (one of those with bars) balanced on to wooden corner posts can have it as a two tier seedling grower so happy days. :applaudit: Waste not want not.

Thank goodness your daughter didn't have to go back into operating theatre but still must have been very unpleasant for her poor lassie. x

Oooo a new chuckchuck that sounds lovely @sunnyring hope we get a piccie :)

14. DizzyBlue

Just been trying to do my tax return for last year ….. now have a banging headache!!
    I know there is an error somewhere but can't for the life of me figure out what the heck I have entered wrong … :BangHead: looks like a call to HMRC on Tuesday morning …. may get through by the night time :lol:

15. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

@DizzyBlue Just a thought, now you have a mini greenhouse, if you bought the mixed seedling lettuce you could bring them on in the tank. Not sure how much tray of seedlings are these days though, suppose you could grow from seed? May try that is we ever do move.

DizzyBlue likes this.
  16. DizzyBlue

I usually grow them on the window sill in long trays and then shove them outside once they have grown a little but a good idea to bring them on outside rather than clutter up the kitchen window sill …. especially as in a few weeks it will be double glazing replacement time.
    Cheers Kendra :)

Kendra likes this.
  17. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

I did grow them one year but no one was interested, wonder if I gave them too small, 2" - 3" (5-7.5cm)) ?