1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturday 12th January

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Its just starting to get light here and its a bit fresh this morning. They are saying its 6c this morning with a moderate wind but my station shows 2.4c with a moderate wind. There is no rain forecast so we will probably have a deluge later.

The birds are fine and Roxy has not stopped wolf whistling me for the last hour which is unusual for him. Nacho is waiting for his step up training for this morning. Its going really well actually. I will start him soon on doing it without a pinenut. They will also enjoy the fruit I have. Satsumas, Bananas, Blueberry, Raspberry, Kiwi. Can I freeze any of these for the birds use?

Health wise its all good (touch wood), I popped into Tesco yesterday and got some soft food such as eggs, yoghurt, fruit, and something I have never ever done berore is I bought some Quorn vegi mincemeat. It was frozen and I can put it in the pan to cook with anything else I decide to add. Has anyone used this before? I dont intend turning vegi but if I can get enough taste there you never know but I cant see it though, jeez, whoever has heard of a vegi Kebab? :aplastao:

Have a Great Saturday Everyone, Stay warm and Well

Cheers

Nigel

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good morning,
    It's a dull and chilly morning down here, but at least not got the snow they have in many parts of Europe.....yet!

I must get some more Jeyes fluid to clean around the wild birds feeding area today, it soon gets mucky more so now the Starlings are back.

Yes Nigel we have used Quorn products especially when veggie visitors come. You can add flavours and it is okay but..it does not suit everyone, son in law - it made him very ill and GP told him to not eat it, it gives me awful upset stomach, so I would go carefully with the amount you have and see how you get on.
    If you freeze those fruits they often go mushy when defrosted.

Hope you all have a good day whatever you are planning to do.

3. darrendiver

darrendiver Regular Member

well just home from working this morning , i plan im spending the day brushing up on my parrot knowledge as i hoping to have a home check in a week or 2

any websites i can read ? any tips always appreciated
    thanks

4. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

The mince meat is one of the more boring products, I never use it, if I make spag bol I just dont use any meat filler type thing. Sauce and Peppers and onions, yum.
    Yes do be careful with it, some people are allergic to it!

Been up all night with Daisy and her ears, so back to the vet.
    I used the cleaning solution the vet gave us, I plucked all the inner ear hair out, it hasnt worked.
    In all the years I've had dogs, the vets have never been able to cure ear infections, its pathetic.
    Do they not like prescribing antibiotics or something?

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.
  5. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Good afternoon all been trying to reload the other laptop but its not having much of it spent most of the morning apart from feeding the flock. well I managed to fall asleep last night for a couple of hours so I fill quite fine today total sleep in five days is five hours. the flock are in great singing and shouting mood today especially the Macaws. I am glad my neighbours are out. well its time to start cleaning the cages so I have a busy day or two

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

well its reloaded on windows 10 strangly it would not go past a certain point until i put a windows 2000 disk in. all is working now but it has said there is a fault with the hard disk. so i will see how long it lasts before it breaks again. Took Poppy out for a short walk and a fly on her harness but it was not long before she wanted to go back in to her eggs. '

7. Rain

Rain Parrot Sniffer Regular Member

Have you looked at what is causing the ear infections? Sometimes an allergy, or it could be a build up of yeast in the body.
    When my dog had constant ear infections, I changed her diet to grain free (no wheat, rice etc) and left out any foods that can turn to sugar such as white potatoes. She basically ate meat and occasional fish (minced lamb, beef, chicken, cod, tuna) and some veggies (raw and cooked). She had crispy cod skins as a treat - they stink. Also there's a good oil supplement to add to their food - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lintbells-YuMEGA-Itchy-Supplement-sensitive/dp/B0035P8TW8
    There are anti yeast diets on google.
    It did clear up after a couple of weeks and she never had another. In the meantime, I cleaned her ears with a diluted apple cider vinegar solution (only to be used if the ear isn't red raw - otherwise it will sting). You can also use chamomile tea to clean and a tiny bit of pure coconut oil can soothe the itch - just as long as you don't put too much, or put it deep into the ear.
    Sorry if you already know all this - or have been given another reason for her ear infections. x

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Heather2131 likes this.
  8. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Don't know whats causing it, vet said it wasn't an ear infection
    But I cleaned her ears every day as suggested by vet for a week, every day there would be new brown discharge, they are smelly, she claws her ears till they bleed, sometimes she's up all night with it.
    I plucked the hair as suggested by the vet, she gave us a cleaning solution and said there was a wax plug in one ear.
    Ive kept the ear dry and clean every day and it has not improved.

She had infections in both eyes and then she ended up with ear infections so I think they are linked
    Even though vet said it's not an infection?
    Our labrador who passed away had ear infections her whole life, I just tried to keep them comfortable for her as vets didn't seem able to cure it, we have changed vets now so hoping for more of a result as they shouldnt suffer with that for life. Our labrador did always put her head under the river water though, Daisy only paddles haha

9. Rain

Rain Parrot Sniffer Regular Member

It could be dry skin in her ears, which makes them itch and then she keeps on scratching at it.
    I always think things need to be looked at from the cause (diet/allergies) - then the symptoms are just a by-product of the bigger picture.
    I hope you get some answers soon - I know how frustrating it must be for you and Daisy. x

10. dianaT

When Max (Springer) had sore red ears last year vet gave me this which I have since bought on-line Clorexyderm Oto, it did clear up his problem, although of course Daisys is likely different, but I think this is quite soothing.

11. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Thats the cleanser she gave us @dianaT

12. dianaT

Oh see now that worked for Max. Likely she needs something different.
    I wonder whether it is Canker. There are a few things it could be and as those drops are not clearing it surely it is time for the vet to try something else?

Heather2131 likes this.
  13. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

I agree that freezing those fruits wont work too well as they turn mushy, but raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants etc work well and I usually have bag of frozen mixed berries in the freezer for us, Dora (and the chickens treats). Normally pick our own fruit but you can buy bags in suermarlets or sometimes farm shops sell them loose.
    Quorn on its own and without extra seasoning is pretty insipid, Sometimes have had things like Quorn "sausages" but like many people I find it leaves me dehydrated and uncomfortable, so tend to make up meals from veg and pulses or beans.

Rain likes this.