Sand In Bottom Of Bird Cage Safe?

veronika

Registered
I've been looking into putting sand in the bottom of our bird's cage so we can just scoop the poop out, when we need to, instead of always switching newspaper.
The sand the sell at pet stores is pretty pricey, and I wanted to find a cheaper alternative?
We're getting a sun conure, and I'm not sure whether its healthy for them to eat sand, whether accidentally or a bit on purpose.
They sell very cheap "play sand" at hardware stores that is safe for human children, but is it also safe for birds?? Could we use that?

Thank you!!

Hi, for all of my parrots I have always used clean newspaper on the bottom of their cages, several layers every morning then during the day when they get too messy just roll up the top the top layer & remove it. Personally I would not use sand for parrots.

No do not use sand apart from the type you buy at pet shops for birds. Conures do not need sand and you will find that paper at the bottom of there cages are the best and easy way of keeping the bottom of the cage clean

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 1
Hi...definitely not playsand...all the info you need is in the thread that DizzyBlue has linked to.

You shouldn’t just be considering the poop issue, what about dropped food, especially fresh foods. Dropped fruit and veg and easily attract flies, ants, etc. Also food left for any length of time, particularly in warm weather can soon turn and start to go mouldy, this is a real hazard for birds.

I use unprinted newspaper.....this is sometimes referred to as “chip shop paper” it’s the offcuts from the huge paper rolls that is used in print. You can get this at quite a reasonable price, particularly if you buy by a ream, search the internet for catering/packaging suppliers, or you get get P&P inclusive via eNay.

We just use 7 layers of paper in the bottom of the cages and I remove a layer each day. Once all the layers have gone, it's time for a F10 disinfectant clean before replenishing the cage with another 7 layers of paper.

Certainly don't use sand. It's dangerous for parrots in case they ingest/eat it.

:biggrin:
5UX3PtG.jpg

This is one last option of home made fabric covers which are easily washed :nut:

Just cotton from a sewing shop and/or bundled squares from Hobby craft. I have three layers - bit over kill I know. The check one is made a lot bigger than actual cage and is padded with double thickness of batting/wadding. The chick one is smaller and just one thickness of wadding/batting and the turquoise is smaller again and is just sewn fabric. The check one doesnt need washing very often, the top (turquiose) one gets changes every day. Just a case of soak and then wash.

Back
Top Bottom