Safe Wood

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Went looking for my old post and can't for life of me remember in which folder it was posted so posting this again! DOH!!

There is an old saying that you should stay away from stone and stick with seed which is an easy way to remember a lot of these when it comes to fruit trees.

Safe Wood & Tree Branches | Non Toxic
Apple
Almond
Arbutus
Ash
Aspen
Bamboo
Beech
Birch (Silver Birch)
Cottonwood
Crabapple
Dogwood
Elm
Fir
Hawthorn
Larch
Magnolia
Manzanita (known as Java wood)
Mulberry
Pear
Pine (avoid the sap, berries and needles)
Poplar
Sequoia
Willow

Wood & Tree Branches To Avoid

Apricot
Cherry
Peach
Prune
Plum
Nectarine
Apricot
Black locust
Box Elder
Boxwood
Buckeye
Crape Myrtle
Hemlock
Oak – leaves, bark and acorns
Pine (needles, sap and berries)
Red Maple
Redwood
Sumac

These trees all belong to the Prunus species. They contain cyanogenic glycosides which release cyanide if ingested.

Pepi

@Pepi
Is this what your looking for?
Yes. Thank you. We have mirror issues. I am going to get small branch. Trying to get rope I bought says natural but stincks like oil from the press machine that make them so washing it multiple times. Next thing will be branch.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mirror issues ….. I bought some of those kiddie stick on little pictures (of parrots naturally) and have stuck them on to my mirror so the birds know its a solid object and you can't fly through. Before that I did have a towel I used to drape over it … but some little mischief making little grey decided it was great fun to drag it off every time my back was turned lol

Pepi

I've been soaking the bloody rope for a week now in boiling water and dishwashing liquid changing the water and now will spray it with desinfectan for the bird and wash it again with boiling water. Still smells a bit but not as bad. That rope was such a mistake. :(

dianaT

Staff member
May be safer to buy a different rope. Where did you buy it? I am sure members can advise where best to buy parrot safe rope.

Pepi

Went looking for my old post and can't for life of me remember in which folder it was posted so posting this again! DOH!!

There is an old saying that you should stay away from stone and stick with seed which is an easy way to remember a lot of these when it comes to fruit trees.

Apple
Almond
Arbutus
Ash
Aspen
Bamboo
Beech
Birch (Silver Birch)
Cottonwood
Crabapple
Dogwood
Elm
Fir
Hawthorn
Larch
Magnolia
Mulberry
Pear
Poplar
Sequoia
Willow

Apricot
Cherry
Peach
Prune
Plum
Nectarine
Apricot
Black locust
Box Elder
Boxwood
Buckeye
Crape Myrtle
Hemlock
Red Maple
Redwood
Sumac

These trees all belong to the Prunus species. They contain cyanogenic glycosides which release cyanide if ingested.
Hi that my sound stupid but is it any kind of willow??? As I live close to the river and is plenty of willow trees.

dianaT

Staff member
River bank willow, usually known as weeping willow, is okay but scrub it well as you would any fresh branches.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
@Pepi I use willow and apple branch too. Both growing like mad in my mum and step-dads garden so I have a ready supply :naughty2: can't wait for their beech hedge to get bigger :risas3: Funny how over the years I have bought little bushes and trees for their large garden … and all those lovely things I bought for them just so happen to be parrot friendly :biggrin: but have to say think they are getting suspicious with some of the things I have bought for them to grow :buenrollo: The silver birch was one thing but the banana plants an entirely different ball game :lol:

Pepi

I got bitten above the lips from nowhere. I didn’t see that comming
as I didn’t do anything to provoke it at least not something I can think of. Start feeling like this will never work and no matter how much effort I put Popay will always bite.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Bites are a part of keeping parrots sometimes we don't read their body signals properly or sometimes there is a reason ie we did something to warrant a nip.
Perhaps far better to not allow you bird to land on your shoulder where you can't see what their body language is saying nor try to kiss them.
MrP my double yellow headed amazon came as an adult to my home, I do not encourage him to come anywhere near me he's desensitised to giving off normal signals of what he intends to do so it's not fair on him for me to put him in the situation where he may bite and I don't want to get bitten so we interact in other ways. Our friendship is "work in progress" and we have come a long way in the last couple of years with a lot of help from Roz :)
Alfie my blue fronted amazon adores me and I do allow him on my shoulder but I do expect from time to time he will get upset with something that will cause him to try and make me walk away from what he find he doesn't like if he's on my shoulder kind of steering me away from it so to speak. If they are on your shoulder you can't see what signals they are giving off and kissing a bird yup you can get bitten there are lots of things we as humans think acceptable the oh but I was only going to do this or that but don't give a thought as to if the bird would understand your intention or find acceptable. Example some humans like to hug and kiss each other on the cheek in greeting I hate it so would a void it like the plague and have a duck fit if somebody tried to invade my "space" even with the best of intentions.
You can do this it just takes time and when you get frustrated take a few minutes to yourself take a deep breath and think through it all, every day is a do over day plus a learning curve and every bird is different to each other just like humans. We speak different languages to each other so its a case of communicating between the species. Time and patience … lots of time and patience. We all started somewhere when it comes to birds and learning about each individual, we go out we get a bird the bird doesn't think of I want to go live with this human or that human they don't get a choice in the matter for them its pot luck if they end up with somebody who wants to put the time and energy in to forge the friendship. So you got a bite (ok it hurts and I as a human can empathise its not nice) but it's not the end of the world :) think through what exactly was going on ... another human coming in the room perhaps. or a loud noise outside startling them, you moved suddenly when they were sat preening and comfy, did you give them enough warning as to what you were going to do, was there new nail varnish on your fingers, a new coloured top they have never seen before, a particular toy that they are obsessed with that you decided to move etc …. heaps of variables just kind of need to be a bit of a detective as to why the bite was provoked and what to do to stop it happening in the future is all :) You can do this I know you can as you posted and asked why so it shows you wish to figure out the reason :)
Some people think of I don't have time or space for a cat or a dog I will get a bird. Birds are a lot more time consuming and a lot more intelligent than a cat or dog. Having a parrot species is like having a permanent human child of say 3 years old high on red bull 24/7 just takes time and patience to watch and learn and figure out what is coming next is all.

Pepi

I was sitting on the stairs didn’t see him launching at my face so I don’t know why I got bitten. I am trying to find books. Popay was a couple of meters away before storming towards my face

Ararajuba

Only the stone fruits in the second group belong to the prunus family! I think this was a copy error. I would have thought oak wood is fairly safe as it has less tanin than the other parts, and is very hard so they are not really going to be able to eat enough to cause themselves harm. Oak branches are going to make pretty hard-wearing perches, but I think it would be safer to de-bark them, if used.

One wood that isn't mentioned is Guava, which I am fairly sure is safe, and is also a pretty suitable perch wood. I would imagine that only those in the tropics/subtropics would come across branches of this wood though. Our conures have had a branch of this for several years which is still holding up well. It's nice and knobbly for their feet, and very hard-wearing. I'm thinking of just cutting some branches from the in-laws' trees next time I go there and just replacing all their perches with guava!

Edit: Almonds are in the prunus family, so I would be wary of considering anything from the tree safe. Sweet almonds may be (though I don't know if the risk is worth taking), but bitter almonds contain high levels of cyanogenic glycosides, which are what make other plants in the family toxic - unless there is confirmed research saying the wood does not contain any, I would be inclined to move almond to the unsafe list.

Jazzy Bird

Registered

Apple
Almond
Arbutus
Ash
Aspen
Bamboo
Beech
Birch (Silver Birch)
Cottonwood
Crabapple
Dogwood
Elm
Fir
Hawthorn
Larch
Magnolia
Mulberry
Pear
Poplar
Sequoia
Willow

Apricot
Cherry
Peach
Prune
Plum
Nectarine
Apricot
Black locust
Box Elder
Boxwood
Buckeye
Crape Myrtle
Hemlock
Red Maple
Redwood
Sumac

Thanks so much!

Top Bottom