Sad cockatiel

RodgetheDog

Registered
Hello everyone I am new here!!

I was wondering if anyone had some advice.

I have a 8 month old Male cockatiel who I rescued from someone who wasn’t providing appropriate care for him... since I got him he is now in a huge liberta cage with lots of toys and mental stimulation. He is still a bit of a seed junkie but I am managing to get him to take some pellets.
Because he was quite clingy with me and constantly flock calling me I decided to get him a little friend of his own kind. I got another young male who had been an avairy bird so he wasn’t hand tame. My cockatiel instantly fell in love with him and although they were in separate cages they would sing together and chirp happily. Sadly this cockatiel was just not 100% from the moment I got him and constantly had puffed up feathers.. I took him to an avian vet who was concerned he might have a internal problem as he was so young and clinically healthy but just not acting like a well birdie. His faecal came back clear for parasites and coccidia, etc . Sadly this little Tiel did not make it and passed away just 9 days after I got him :(

since this my original cockatiels personality has totally changed.. he doesn’t sing or talk anymore, he just constantly makes the annoyed ‘screech’ noise. I have had him out more than usual and even when he is with me he is constantly screeching :( :( this weekend (two weeks after his friend died) I brought home another little buddy for him hoping this would help ease the loneliness but it doesn’t seem to have helped Much at all... he seems uninterested in the new cockatiel andjust within himself screeching :(

I really don’t know what to do, I wish I could bring his original buddy back from the dead but obviously I can’t!!!! I was wondering if any experienced people on here have any idea how I can ease his greiving or make any changes that might improve his mood? He doesn’t seem to be self harming and he still eats and drinks and is active when out his cage but just constantly screeching for his dead buddy :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks! 🦜 🦜

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome: How sad I am sorry the little one didn't make it.
Your original one is likely grieving for his chum as out birdies do grieve. So it may take time for him to get used to the newcomer.
Give him time and patience. I am sure our other members will be along to advise as well.

plumsmum

I don't think I would push the new one on your grieving original male. Move their cages apart, other side of the room and make use of the time to make friends with the new one yourself. This could help your grieving male become more interested when he sees you interacting. Like @dianaT says birds do grieve and it's just time. I am guessing that if he didn't see the poor one that passed he just thinks he's missing, gone AWOL, thus the screeching. It should pass when he's ready hun.

RodgetheDog

Registered
I don't think I would push the new one on your grieving original male. Move their cages apart, other side of the room and make use of the time to make friends with the new one yourself. This could help your grieving male become more interested when he sees you interacting. Like @dianaT says birds do grieve and it's just time. I am guessing that if he didn't see the poor one that passed he just thinks he's missing, gone AWOL, thus the screeching. It should pass when he's ready hun.
Thanks for the advice, they are in separate cages at the moment but I will move them further apart! I think you are all right and he is just grieving it’s so heartbreaking 🦜😖 wee soul.

RodgetheDog

Registered
:welcome: How sad I am sorry the little one didn't make it.
Your original one is likely grieving for his chum as out birdies do grieve. So it may take time for him to get used to the newcomer.
Give him time and patience. I am sure our other members will be along to advise as well.
Thank you 💝💝

Michael Reynolds

I fully agree with plumsmum keep them further apart, work with the new bird but do not neglect your original tiel. I do have a concern that you should get each bird checked before introducing them together, I know its too late now but in future please isolate new members until they are fully tested. so sorry to hear of your young one passing.

RodgetheDog

Registered
I fully agree with plumsmum keep them further apart, work with the new bird but do not neglect your original tiel. I do have a concern that you should get each bird checked before introducing them together, I know its too late now but in future please isolate new members until they are fully tested. so sorry to hear of your young one passing.
Thank you for your help!! Yes I have definitely learned this the hard way unfortunately :( had my new bird for a check with the vet yesterday, they are in separate cages for the time being and like the guys above said they are now at separate ends of the room from each other.. there has been a little chatter between them heard today while I was in another room so that can only be a good sign?!

Top Bottom