Room scent what do you use thats bird friendly ?

warriork9

Hey there I was wandering what people use to make their rooms in their homes smell nice that is bird friendly any feedback for what you use would be brilliant thanks

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

As long as they are bird safe I use fresh fragrant herbs such as rosemary, mint, coriander, lavender (when fresh but it goes powdery so only use when fresh) and fresh cut flowers ie roses, I also use cloves and cinnamon sticks stuck into citrus fruit and allowed to dry by a radiator, particularly in the winter.

warriork9

As long as they are bird safe I use fresh fragrant herbs such as rosemary, mint, coriander, lavender (when fresh but it goes powdery so only use when fresh) and fresh cut flowers ie roses, I also use cloves and cinnamon sticks stuck into citrus fruit and allowed to dry by a radiator, particularly in the winter.
Lovely thanks I'll try that

We don't use anything other than the occasional candle upstairs well away from the birds. We do have the F10 pine scented spray, and use that in the bird room sometimes when cleaning.

Roz

I use Young Living Essential Oils. They are expensive but one of the very few brands that are truly pure. A US vet (Dr Melissa Shelton) used to use them for her own animals and her clients' animals (and birds) before she decided to make her own (Animal EO - which unfortunately are not shipped outside the US) so I am confident in their purity - I have used them for about 10 years now. Was recently given the go ahead to keep using them by a homeopathic vet in Austria.

MellyM

Registered
I use Young Living Essential Oils. They are expensive but one of the very few brands that are truly pure. A US vet (Dr Melissa Shelton) used to use them for her own animals and her clients' animals (and birds) before she decided to make her own (Animal EO - which unfortunately are not shipped outside the US) so I am confident in their purity - I have used them for about 10 years now. Was recently given the go ahead to keep using them by a homeopathic vet in Austria.
I am qualified in aromatherapy so have a collection of oils. I buy from natural thinking a uk company. I've read lavender and lemongrass are okay around birds, is that correct ? I would put in a bowl of water or on a dry tissue.

Roz

If you are absolutely sure your oils have no artificial additives, lavender and lemongrass are okay. Remember any company can put 100% pure on the label as it is not regulated. Even Holland & Barratt say 100% pure, but their prices suggest otherwise. Lavender and tea tree are two of the most adulterated oils - more is sold than is produced.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I use fresh flowers, certain herbs like cinnamon orange and lemon peels
Star anise is awesome and parrot safe if eaten

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

I use a lot of whole spices in cooking and I think the house probably smells of those much of the time - plus I use orange peel, cloves, lavender and other bird safe stuff that is natural.

MellyM

Registered
If you are absolutely sure your oils have no artificial additives, lavender and lemongrass are okay. Remember any company can put 100% pure on the label as it is not regulated. Even Holland & Barratt say 100% pure, but their prices suggest otherwise. Lavender and tea tree are two of the most adulterated oils - more is sold than is produced.
thats really interesting thanks

Top Bottom