1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ringo Homing

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Yellowchickenparrot, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Me and wifey have talked about this a few times and we are looking for people in the know to help with our decision.
    Ok I have Ringo my yellow male kak he's about one and a half and causing a few problems, he is a terrible biter he's keen to land on you and have a go at any part of skin he can find and it's always a blood bite not a warning nip or a taster nip. He is aloud out to fly around the house but comes to find you and have a nip, he seems less intrested in flying around or chewing on toys and veg and doesn't sit and watch the world go by but rather come to you which is fine but he has just become such a bad biter. Ringo is slowly being banned from coming out at certain times now due to my two children and also my wife who loves him to bits but can't bare being bitten anymore she's actually scared of him now. I know hormones are maybe to blame but we have thought he might like it in the aviary? And maybe get him a sexy lady to live with?? He has become very very aggressive over his cage and humps at least 15 times a day and is regurgitating food for his three bells that are his babies, he use to be very hand tame and could easily be hand fed treats but now just takes the treat and throws it away them bites your fingers. I'm trying to do what's best for the little guy and am seriously thinking this summer of putting him out in the aviary so he can fly around and have much more of a life than he is ending up having now in the house. The aviary is going to be about 22ft by 10 and 7ft high with shelter area and living \ nesting boxes. I would like to hear your views or ideas to help me out with Ringo the savage chicken
  2. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

It may pass? Archie sometimes goes through this where for months on end he's the most vicious little devil ever and I just feel hated by him, but I just remind myself that it will pass eventually.

I think a little friend for him would be lovely, Archie's so much happier now he has Phoebe and is back to his normal self (maybe that's what stopped him being a devil)
    If Ringo would accept another kak then I think he probably would be happier in the company of his own species and with an aviary to fly around in.

I don't know anything about kaks though so let's see what others think
  3. Yellowchickenparrot

Thanks for your view heather yeh I'm just going to see what everyone recommends and then make a decision
  4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree with Heather it is Ringos hormones, but maybe and mate and a nice aviary would be the answer anyway.
  5. marley

marley Regular Member

Let's be really honest here, if we are truthful ALL birds would be happier out in an aviary with their own kind, when we hand rear a bird we totally mess up it's head into imprinting it on humans then get surprised when it acts in an unnatural way. A "normal" kakariki would not attack people like that because it would be fearful of you, he doesn't know if he is bird or human but would soon settle into a more natural life in an aviary. The flight you propose is huge and he would in my opinion have a ball out there, I say go for it he will be much better off and you and your family will start to enjoy him again.
    Heather2131 and JessCheekyMia like this.
  6. Yellowchickenparrot

Thanks for the responses so far guys, yes Marley that's so true. The aviary is definitely going to be that big possibly a tad higher to.
    sunnyring likes this.
  7. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

I agree with Marley.
    I have a friend that breeds Kaks and she won't allow people to buy them and put them inside a home as compaion birds. She says they are more suited to a avairy.