1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ringneck

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tony Roach, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Tony Roach

Tony Roach Registered

Any help taming my ringneck.he takes food from me but attacks me if I go to stroke him.plus now and again he attacks my older ringneck

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  2. Wakizashi21

Wakizashi21 Regular Member

How long have you had your IRN? Also is he an aviary bird or hand tame previously?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Tony Roach

Tony Roach Registered

I bought him from a person who had him for 12 months from a Pet shop. Who said he's bit tame eats from your hand so on but he does not let you stroke him or he will not climbs on your hand

4. Wakizashi21

Tbh not a huge fan of pet shops....but...if he wont let you stroke him...means he wasnt handled much as a baby...this issue only arrises if the breeder hasnt really made an effort to do so....

But its never too late. Start slow. These things take time...it took me over a year to get anywere near my IRN. What i did was...

1. When we have dinner...he will be near us.
    2. When i had time to read books...i would sit near him and read.
    3. When i know hes really hungry...i would take out his fav food and try and entice him once or twice to come take it from me. I wouldnt do it non stop...need to let him get near you on his own terms.
    4. Understand whats his fav food.

TomsMum likes this.
  5. Tony Roach

Tony Roach Registered

Thanks wakizashi21 I will try them put he already cry for food when I'm seating eating runs to edge of cage and shouts

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Tony and :welcome: to the forum

7. Tony Roach

Tony Roach Registered

My first atemped of taming my ringneck lol [​IMG]

Wakizashi21 likes this.
  8. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

I am not sure what is meant by have them near when your are eating, sharing food with your bird is the best way to encourage bonding, so if you are eating, he should be eating. Could he have a meal at the same time as you? or could you give him something that you are having?

I would feel cruel eating in front of many of my birds and not giving them something, you wish to make friends?, well don't be a meanie.

Like the bite, but it is normal for a parrot to bite especially if he is new and scared of you.

9. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

It is possible that your bird felt threatened by your hand or your approach but it is still early days

10. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Tony! What is your IRN's name?

Yikes that's some bite!!! It is also communication.... a last resort way of saying "NO!" He would have given you plenty of body language before the bite to tell you "no" - maybe eyes widening, feather slicking down or rising on some parts, leaning away from you, moving away... Take heed of this body language if you don't want to get bitten again. There is certainly no need for getting bitten... ever, if you watch and heed a bird's body language.

You are going to have to go way slower in getting him used to you and certainly not push him much beyond his comfort zone. Him taking food from you is an excellent start! Have you worked out what his favourite foods are yet... items you can use as treats? Later when he knows you better and has settled in, you can use treats as reinforcement for behaviour you want to see... like eventually teaching him how to step up etc. If he has a phobia about hands, then you might want to teach him to step up on a hand held perch. Have a read about shaping the step up:

https://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/shaping-the-step-up-back-to-basics.21349/

When I couldn't handle Ollie my Orange-winged Amazon I initially let him out an hour or two before meal times. When I slotted his food bowl in he would fly back into his cage himself. I used to shut the door when he had food in his mouth so that the door shutting would be paired with something good and he would be more likely to go in next time. This will work if you feed him roughly at the same time every day.

11. Wakizashi21

Lol probably sounded mean...but what i mena by eating infront is having lunch as a family while he is near us by the table so he can eat with us...

Not to make him watch n droool in agony.