1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rescue Centre Location

Discussion in 'Parrot Sanctuaries and Rescue centers' started by chicoshuman, Aug 19, 2017.

1. chicoshuman

chicoshuman Regular Member

Hey, just wondered if anyone knew of any rescue centres in the Sussex area?

For some reason I find it really hard to find them and when I do they are always so far away.

I'm considering seeing if any would speak with me about the possibility of some sort of volunteering, I'm considering getting a macaw some time in the future ( at least a year ) but would like to get to spend some time with some of the larger birds before getting in over my head.

Parrots seem rather rare down here... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would really love to see and spend time with a Macaw locally.

Thanks!

Curtis.

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You could try contacting Bird World, not sure if they welcome volunteers but you may enjoy a visit. Though it's many many years since I was last there and things do change. They are not a rescue centre.
    http://birdworld.co.uk/

I wonder whether @Michael Reynolds can advise.

3. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

The only place I know that retains their birds ie takes them in and keeps them is Kakatua Bulu Cockatoo Sanctuary but they are over in Stowmarket
    Everywhere else takes them into safe houses and then rehomes them.

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome well you could join Safehaven Parrot Refuge we need volunteers in all areas @ladyc will be able to give advice as I am busy as I have a show with my and some of safehavens bird to do in Snodland, Kent. today at Sandhole vets all are welcome from 12 -4pm

5. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

@Michael Reynolds LadyC isn't with SafeHaven anymore She posted on forum a while back to say she was stepping down. I think if you reread the post Michael they want to volunteer to go and assist rather than be a foster / safe house etc to see how they get on. Rather go visit somewhere on a regular basis than get in over their heads which is very sensible :)

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I know ladyc has stepped down but I also know she is still part of safehaven and is willing to help and advice from her knowledge and experience may help.

7. chicoshuman

chicoshuman Regular Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! Apologies it took a while to reply!

Definitely seems as though there's rather a lack of rescues out there! Unfortunately I don't drive so traveling far would be an issue as I could probably bribe someone for a 20-30 minute drive every so often but when you're getting on for like an hour each way it's going to be hard to convince someone to take me haha!

I am in contact with a breeder who I would probably get my macaw from who is also perfectly fine with me going to visit as often as I want but again they are rather far away so just wondered if there was anything local I could do in addition to providing a little helping hand in caring for some birds in need...

The reason I haven't instantly gotten myself down to bird world is that I assumed there wouldn't be any opportunity to interact with the macaws on more of a level than just a normal visitor. Just wanted to try and easily get some close contact with a macaw to see if I felt they would be a good fit for me. Birds have always been a passion of mine since I had my little cockatiel who sadly passed away after 8 years with me, then life just wasn't right for another bird until I got my rehomed/kinda-rescued grey now I've totally got the bug again to have birds and a macaw is definitely a dream! ( in addition to another grey and a Senegal maybe! )

8. barry clements

barry clements Regular Member

what about the surrey area anyone know of any my way

9. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well the forum does not recommend any rescues, there are so many some good some not so good and its best we do not get involved.
    Some people contact The Parrot Society UK, you can do this on-line and join for a small fee, you receive a monthly mag full of information and where their members advertise parrots too.

10. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

11. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Sorry I meant to add that I found these in a search for your information and not actually recommending them.