Ready Now

prettydaffodil

Registered
Hi @lockey I would love your advice. We are in no hurry, would rather wait for the right bird for us, but we like the idea of getting our daughter a bird. Perhaps an African Grey, though she likes the idea of a rainbow lori. We haven't had caged birds before but have plenty of other livestock and are used to raising animals - currently dogs, horses, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, guinea fowl and peacocks. I realise that a parrot is very different, and welcome all advice, but would add that we are used to understanding visual clues and body language so feel confident that we can learn and give a good home to a bird. Space and time to interact is all guaranteed. Although it is for our daughter, I recognise they are long-lived and realise that we will be the ones looking after it long term, and that's fine.

rainbowCro

Registered
I'd recommend african grey, they'r smart, live long, and if it bonds with your daughter it'll be hell of a ride :) BUt althoguht just carefull in begining so it doesnt bite her tho , since it is less aggresive and polite parrot breed, is kinda best choice , and your daughter can teach her words and noise so it'll be fun to play

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Hummm I wouldn't say a grey would be a good choice for a junior bird keeper as they can get very bonded with one person and be nasty to everyone else, they also need loads of entertainment and out time. A bite from a grey can be really nasty to, obviously there are greys that are amazing but its luck of the draw to their personality.

rainbowCro

Registered
Yea definetly to start with smaller parrits , cockatiels or even lori then later myb add in something bigger. But aim for handfed alrdy so its playfull

CaptainHowdy

Yea definetly to start with smaller parrits , cockatiels or even lori then later myb add in something bigger. But aim for handfed alrdy so its playfull

I wouldn't advise anyone to start with Lori due to their diets. A lot of people don't realise you can't just feed then a parrot seed mix and be done with it. Plus no one is prepared for the poop! Poop on the floor, poop on the walls and yes I have seen poop on the ceiling!! :eek:

As for handreared vs parent reared that has been handled daily from around 2 weeks of age, parent reared all the way. I have taken on handreared parrots and they are a bit on the psycho side with other people, and parrots in one case!

Michael Reynolds

Depending on the age of your daughter and whom for now will be the primary carer, yes Lories are very lovely but they are messy birds there poop is like liquid owing to there nectar diet and they can squirt it some way . I am not one that believes in starting with the smaller birds but make sure you know and are ready to take a larger bird on if you wish to have one. I agree greys can become one person birds and even change there mind on whom they like during them growing up. you can never tell, I have two out of the five that are extremely friendly to most people.

prettydaffodil

Registered
Gosh what a lovely amount of replies. Thank you all for your contributions. My daughter is 11 but realistically I will be the primary caregiver because I work from home so it will be me that it entertains as I try to work. The messiness is something to consider as we will be moving house and liked the idea of getting a really large cage to put in the main hall, but flying liquid crap may not make it the most appealing entrance! Although we are novices with caged birds, we are very well versed in domestic birds and animals so understand non-verbal language. I do classical dressage with my horse and this involves reading their minds and them reading mine, I find animal/human communications endlessly fascinating. My daughter is an introvert and all species seem to warm to her quiet gentleness. I work from home, and all my animals are at home, and my husband is in and out throughout the day as he works outside but at home. So they would have constant company.

Michael Reynolds

I know a lady that has had her blue and gold macaw since she was eleven she is now 27 and the two of them have been together through out. her mother is a vet and she was brought up with animals from young. there is no reason that your daughter cant do the same with your guidance. hello and welcome to this very friendly club

Top Bottom