Questions ...

Samin Alakozay

Registered
Hey guys
This is just out of curiosity but I had some questions around bird breeding I hope someone can answer

1. Is bird breeding wrong ?
  2. Are there any bird breeders in this form?
  3. Do breeders take money
  4. Isit hard to become a breeder?
  5. Are different kind of birds harder to breed?

I’m new to the bird world and for whatever reason I’ve been addicted to bird breeding last few days I’m sure it’s just a phase but thought I’d ask these questions

Thanks guys

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
ok since you ask will go through the replies from my opinion and knowledge....

1. Is bird breeding wrong ? My thoughts - go look around and see how many are looking for new homes and are in charity rescues trying desperately to find new homes.
  2. Are there any bird breeders in this form? Yes quite a few of us we're or are breeders
  3. Do breeders take money. Yes if you set up as a hobby breeder you sell the birds for money however the price does not cover the rearing costs, incubators, hand rear mixtures, spare cages, hospital cages, hmmm and worst of all … sifting through people as to who you think is a responsible owner before selling them one of your birds.... seriously that becomes a right nightmare and so a lot of us actually gave up when it came to that stage
  4. Is it hard to become a breeder? Yes there is heaps to learn to be a responsible breeder people think you just get a male and a female stick em together and make heaps of money … defo does not work that way. Diet changes, do the partners you match up make a good breeding pair ie are they perfect birds health wise personality wise and obviously genetically
  5. Are different kind of birds harder to breed? Definitely look at things like cockatiels you see a lot on the market and then go and read up about how hard it is to bred a hyacinth macaw in that species more none breeding birds out there than actual breeding ones
I was a breeder years ago and am happy to say … I breed a couple but they are for my own aviary and don't leave my premises or possession and I do take in a few cases that are needing a home.

Ethically you have to have a lot more knowledge and a few years of owning birds, watching and studying their ways their specific needs at different times of the year, understand diseases, if the bird makes a good match with a prospective partner and pair bond, are they the right kind of birds to breed ,,,, yup long list.

I'm old over the hill and past 50 and would say ... don't step in that direction too many people already have ... humans make the mistakes and the birds pay the ultimate price.... and if you do decide to make it a few years down the line. No offence meant just a personal view point given

Michael Reynolds

is bird breeding wrong? if two birds decide they want to form a bond and breed who am I to stop them. they are doing what comes naturally, how ever I do not go out to breed them now. there are some birds that I believe should be bred to insure the survival of the species.

I used to breed birds and own some pairs that I have loaned to better facilities. I will still let the budgies and tiels breed as I have nice homes awaiting the young birds as companion birds.

I have never taken a penny for any bird bred by me, its not what I would call profitable unless it is done as a profession, even then it can take years before you your investments will start to pay back

Its not hard to become a breeder but as owning two birds of the same species but different sexes may decide to breed, but to become a good breeder is far different,

Yes, to be successful in breeding some species in captivity you will need special facilities and knowledge, ie. the blue throated conure. in captivity the male has a good chance of breaking the eggs so they will have to be removed and incubated, my pair are now with a local college. the last time they bred the facilities got broken in to and eggs had been stolen. that brings me to another point security adding to the costs involved. what bird do I find easy to get to breed, Zebra Finches.

every one will have there own opinion on breeding and we can only answer your question using our own opinions, being a wear of many birds needing to find good homes it can be a touchy subject to many. My personal opinion is do I have the rite to stop what is natural for any living thing. we need to control our human population urgently.

dianaT

Staff member
I agree with the above posts. Yes rightly or wrongly we have bred parrots and have hand reared, now if it were to happen again none would be hand reared only it was for saving a little life. But I would not set out to have breeding pairs again.

Samin Alakozay

Registered
@DizzyBlue @Michael Reynolds @dianaT
hi all,
sorry for the late reply, I've been slightly busy with work and my little flying friend
it sounds like the only way that breeders make money is to just breed the birds with no care in the world
hold the babies enough to come across "tame" and sell it to anyone thats willing to pay the price.
if you look on gum tree or rehomed websites you can see plenty of birds being sold with no leg ring or anything like that...
so its breed... raise.. sell .... repeat

that sounds really sad
i might be settling up a bird aviary in my garden soon too exciting times!
maybe ill put 1-2 breeding nests there for them to have their fun

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have my aviary outside so the ones that were aviary bred can have fun and don't need to interact with humans (ie me) But just minus the nest boxes so there are no arguments as birds do argue and fight over what they see as the best nesting place and I actively allow them to nest but makesure that there are no fertile eggs by ensuring I manage to get to each egg when its laid and shaking it so it won't develop into a chick inside but it does allow the birds to go through the natural behaviour of nesting and it stops them laying over and over again. The lay they sit and after a couple of weeks they realise there will be no chick so they just stop sitting and carry on with life in general :)

rainbowCro

Registered
yea nice questions you made there i agree :) Breeding is diffcult. i Saw few breeding i 'll call it company , like someone claims himself as breeder some birds, and trys to sell em, but shortly after, myb it lasted even few months they gave up and disbaned their "company" cause here atleast in mine Country and perhaps arround it isn't profitable , you can as dizzy and the other guy said myb eventually pay off your parts like food you invested, cage and myb small homemade aviary .. BUt if you think you'r going to make a ton of money or atleast few thousands, that's where you have to in mine opinion have atleast 30-50 alrdy old enough pairs, that will breed you chicks and in case you'll have to make some contract with some pet shop that will outbuy you 30-80% of you'r chicks ,and if ur lucky enough to sell them online on sites and stuff.. I just know by mine thinking in head, that costs of having "registered hobby breeding" takes it's tools, since you have to make Vet come by each some depending time, buy "supplements" for birds to to do their "stuff" , buy alot of food and etc... but most problem is depending on country's law how it allows you to do hobby breeding and expenses for that.. So that's why most people like @DizzyBlue and you mentioned just pair one male and female and myb few just pairs and try to sell em ringless online on sites, cause that's kinda "illegal" not registered breeding hobby selling kind of thing...

What conisders me thought, i'll try to breed some parrots, even myb hand rare them ( budgies to be specific ) to try also reach out to rarer colour and sell them, but probably without registering some hobby stuff since i got only 1 pair atm.. And if the "sale goes" i might get some other pairs, open hobby breed company and get few more, but since i'm working on the field job probably can't let wife take care of all the job with few kids near her.. so that's just some far dream for now..

Michael Reynolds

Samin to be successful with breeding and selling the birds you breed is to gain reputation as a good breeder, have and sell enough birds to cover your costs and make enough monies to be able to live comfortable. be able to plan ahead on what birds and colour mutations and species are going to sell, there is always a chance of disaster owing to illness, fright, theft or nature. breeding is not normally profitable but I do know many that can make monies from selling birds. they normally buy from other breeders at a lower price than normal and then sell the birds shortly after at a profit.

Have I ever made a profit on birds? Yes but I have never sold a bird in my life. you may wonder how.

I have had two birds that I gained royalties that brought me in between thirty to one hundred and sixty a month with advertising and even film appearances.

I do training locally to other bird owners and there birds.

Lectures yes I can make monies but most of the time I give it back to the charity it supports.

I have even been paid for people to take photos of my birds on them.

the biggest gain for me is not monies but the love I get back from the flock and that is worth millions to me

rainbowCro

Registered
Ye but still more money can come out of mainly Bigger parrot species, bot really budgerigers, except if you get good quality exibition bigger ones that win some place or so then you can sell it for good amount

CaptainHowdy

If you are wanting to breed the rarer budgie mutations you really need to read up on genetics and get a very good grasp of how mutation affects the others. You may think you have the perfect pair but then you breed them and end up with the completely wrong mutations, because your birds are split for the mutations you don't want to have in your breeding birds. Breeding those mutations out can take years and generations to do.

It is not a quick thing to do, I have a specific mutation breeding line I've been working on for over 7 years and it's still nowhere near where I want it to as they keep giving me splits I wasn't aware of.

Plus you need to be able to buy in from a good reputable breeder so you don't end up with inbred birds.

Top Bottom