Puzzled With Panama Amazon

Kendra

Georgie Porgie, the easiest, most amenable, laid back bird amongst the Morvern flock (with me) is definitely having a 'funny' day. This all started during the night, around 2.30 am when I heard a panic, wing flapping etc from under George's cover. I spoke calmly to him and he settled down, but during the next 15 minutes it happened twice again. I uncovered the front of his cage and looked in he was hanging from the cage roof, not unusual for him. I opened the door and he came straight out onto the door top. There are NO noises here at all so I have counted that out straight away. He wanted tickles but nothing else, no nut (he is addicted to almonds), nor my fingers, just his head rubs. I left him to calm down and eventually he went back into his cage and settled for the night.

This morning he is acting as if he does not know me, will not take his almond, will not step on me but is quite willing to climb on my back then onto the radiator and attack the door frame next to me, so not frightened of his surroundings. I have managed to persuade him onto his 'java' tree in the window where he is sat, doing precisely nothing.

I just do not know what to make of him, I am not worried, but concerned as I have no idea of his age really although he is supposed to be 13. I understand they can have off days but with the panics during the night. (his feathers are still a mess) Any ideas?

Oh dear sorry to hear this, first thought is a night fright for whatever reason. Maybe some type of seizure?
I am sure he gets plenty of vits including calcium?

I've often wondered if parrots can have nightmares, not like in a night fright from a noise or something similarly tangible, but literally a frightening dream? Chewy has this happen sometimes, it's rare but it does happen, and at the time all he wants is to be out of his cage and on me for reassurance. Sometimes it takes quite a long time to reassure him that his cage is safe to go back into, and he's often a bit stand-offish and not quite himself the next day (including refusing his favorite almonds)

He was calcium deficient and has been having supplement for a good while now, but it still happens very occasionally. :thinking:

Tom used to have frights, never heard him flapping about, but there were occasions when we would uncover him and find that he'd dropped all his tail feathers out.

I find the birds can sense things even though they can't see and haven't heard something...ours know when there is a fox around or one of the neighbourhood cats.

Yes, he gets his vits twice a week, although he is a funny eater he has improved considerably since he came, how much is going down I am not sure.

No feathers dropped, he did not want me, just the head tickles. He is still the same, wishes to come off his tree but he will not come onto my hand, not like him as he can not fly well he is stuck!.

I was wondering if he could have had a seizure, I suppose that is what is worrying me but no indication of anything wrong. I know they can hide it but he has ploughed through a bangel and is chattering, he joined in when we all were having a shout a bout, with Lucy Lou telling everyone 'Quiet' then letting out a huge scream.

His tail looks to be slightly bobbing, or am I imagining things? Think he is going to have a nap before his tea, which is normal.

Forgot to mention, although I am on the fence with spirits, I am sure something is in the house, lately I have been hearing extra odd sounds in the house, but not near George's fright time. I have always felt that the last couple who lived here are still here keeping an eye on us.

Is he still moulting...perhaps a feather may have caught or a new sheath be annoying him. Does he like a shower? An increased humidity may help if his breathing is a bit on the heavy side. but he sounds in pretty good shape if he's such interacting, etc....so don't worry yourself t O much, just keep an eye on him and see how he goes.

Yes he is moulting, never seems to stop being an amazon, but he hates baths, showers. I have tried the water bowl in his cage and with his feathers being so poor he needs his showers. He can hear me when I go for washes, shower etc and he goes mad, screams, shouts, I have to keep talking to him, he gets into a right state. I have tried taking him in with me but having a shower with Georgie on my back !! I ought the shower perch for him but now he will not go in the bath room.

When he came he had a bottle of 'Feather Shine' which he was sprayed with everyday. I wondered if his original home he never was bathed or shower, then with the few months in his next one where he was sprayed with the shine grease could have been added and maybe that is why it is talking so long to improve, I am only surmising here.

Sorry if this a daft question...but have you tried taking him into the bathroom in a travel cage so he can get some f the steamy atmosphere rather than direct wetting?

I did take him in the bathroom in the t. cage once or twice for a shower he did not like it but no hard feelings. Then I made the mistake of taking him into the garden in that cage, everything fine if you stay next to him, left him for 10 minutes and now he will not go into the cage. I can force him but we have such a good relationship (before today) I did not wish to spoil this in case of an emergency. His cage is just outside the bathroom so steam may reach him but when he has forgiven me for whatever I have done I think I may start persuading him with the travel cage again.

He now has his showers when on the T stand, probably why it is not his favourite place but is only when he has had a shower he is given an almond during the day time.

Awww....they do take on so....and you're so right in not forcing him to go into it....sounds like almonds are the way forward with positive reinforcement...it's pecans here.

Back
Top Bottom